1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New leaf pack vs. Air bags vs. something else

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by cntstan, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Jun 8, 2009 at 11:50 AM
    cntstan

cntstan [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Wisconsin now, North Carolina will always be HOME
    Vehicle:
    08 DC SR5 4X4 ; 94 Ford Bronco
    3" Toytec coilovers, rear AAL,satoshi'd grill,ARE topper,TRD exhaust, All Pro winch bumper, Warn winch, All Pro skid, Pro comp 7089's, Supersprings, Wet Okole seat covers
    I've searched the forums but can't seem to find a good answer to my situation. I tow and haul some mildly heavy loads about once a month and will be towing a pop-up camper this summer. I have already installed the Toytec ultimate lift. This gave me a 2-2.5" AAL for the rear. The springs have settled a little and now when I tow my trailer with 2500-3500lbs., I have a pretty severe nose-up position, enough that steering is noticeably worse. I do take this truck offroad and I have a camper shell. So.....after reading numerous threads I think I've come to the conclusion that a heavier duty rear spring pack might be the way to go, (possibly with valved shocks?). From what I've read, air bags could limit my rear wheel travel and I don't really like the Timbren idea. Am I thinking this through correctly? I like the adjustability of the air bags but I don't want to lose off road performance. Any ideas on what spring packs would work? Should I get shocks that are adjustable? Ride quality isn't a huge factor and I have about a month and a half to make a decision. Let me know if I'm missing something or if I'm unclear with my question! Thanks

2. Jun 8, 2009 at 11:54 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Why not air shocks? They are adjustable. You won't lose the rear wheel travel.

3. Jun 8, 2009 at 12:01 PM
    cntstan

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Vehicle:
    3" Toytec coilovers, rear AAL,satoshi'd grill,ARE topper,TRD exhaust, All Pro winch bumper, Warn winch, All Pro skid, Pro comp 7089's, Supersprings, Wet Okole seat covers
    I'm not sure what an air shock is. Is it just a valved shock? Or do you actually adjust it with compressed air? Any examples?

4. Jun 8, 2009 at 12:13 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
  5. Jun 8, 2009 at 12:24 PM
    cntstan

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Vehicle:
    ^ ^ ^ ^
    Thanks, that one is for GMC's and Chevy's but I'll keep looking to see if there is one that fits my application (fits tacomas with a lift). That looks like it would work though.

6. Jun 16, 2009 at 5:02 PM
    kris219

kris219 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    miami
    Vehicle:
    tacoma trd
    spindle lift with dakar leaf pack, blacked out headlights and tailights, satoshi, debadged, HID headlights n fogs, flowmaster 40 single in dual out
    does anyone have these air shocks installed? do they give lift as well as the towing ability?

7. Jun 16, 2009 at 9:31 PM
    JonnyReb

JonnyReb Member

Member:
    N.C.
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma,
    I hope someone comes back with a positive review on these as i've been considering them also. J.C. whitney has a PAIR of them by gabriel for $70.00 and they are supposed to increase carrying capacity by 1000lbs. If it will do 1/2 that it would be worth it to me.

An online review on the J.C. site said they could be used with no pressure on them for empty beds and pumped up to 200psi for the heaviest loads.

Apparently, you can route the two shocks together with a 1/4" hose with a yoke, airing up a single schraeder valve distributes equal pressure. If they will hold up then surely they will help?

J

8. Jun 17, 2009 at 4:46 PM
    kris219

kris219 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    miami
    Vehicle:
    tacoma trd
    spindle lift with dakar leaf pack, blacked out headlights and tailights, satoshi, debadged, HID headlights n fogs, flowmaster 40 single in dual out
    id be worried about leaks.

9. Oct 16, 2018 at 8:23 PM
    Pacino661

Pacino661 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prerunner
    Plastidip rims, removed splash guards, K&N , window visors
    This threads old as hell but I’m curious what was ultimately decided and the review. I’m currently having the same dilemma. Have a 2” lift on front and want to stiffen the rear suspension someway to stop rear drop when hauling and towing. Its not the sexiest of the options, but I like the simplicity of Timbren. Anyone have any experience with these?

10. Oct 17, 2018 at 8:50 AM
    Rujack

Rujack Stop Global Whining

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Off Road 6 speed manual
    Fwiw, I recently installed ride rite airbags with daystar cradles. Pretty satisfied with them.

Pacino661 likes this.
  11. Oct 17, 2018 at 9:03 AM
    PatricNV

PatricNV Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patric
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement TRD OR Access Cab
    OV Tune Skinny tires Trail Gear Sliders
    I installed Dakar (hvy Duty) springs and OME shocks with the ride rite airbags as well. I am happy with it. I installed the airbags when I still had the stock shocks and springs. The stock shock was not capable of controlling the airbag. It would bounce about three times before settling after a bump. Now bump, once up then settle.

BTW - in the old post I see discussion of one shrader to control two airshocks. Not good - on cornering the outside shock will pressurize the inside shock.

Pacino661 and RoninWanderer like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top