1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Leaves vs Blocks

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by DevL, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Apr 29, 2011 at 12:49 PM
    DevL

DevL [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So I see that some of the very thick 9+ leaf replacement springs do not increase payload because they are made for flexing. I also see that they require longer U bolts because they are physically thicker. In a spring over application this results in some of the lift being generated by the actual thickness of the springs and not from additional spring pressure. Isnt that essentially the same thing that a block does... it lifts the truck by thickening the distance from the axle to the top of the spring without actually increasing spring tension? If that is the case I dont see why blocks are so frowned upon if they are only 1" or so thick... its not much different than the flexy springs in application... other than the fact our factory springs are low quality.

2. Apr 29, 2011 at 1:03 PM
    especk

especk Nothin' Special

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Redding, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4
    3" OME lift with 885 coils on nitrocharger 90000 shocks with 5mm trim packer on driver's side, TC UCAs, Rear OME Dakar leafs with nitrocharger shocks, All-pro U-bolt flip kit and 3* Toytec shims, extended rear brakelines, 16" Raceline Rockcrusher 887 wheels with 3.6" backspacking, BFG KM2 305/70/16 tires, Doug Thorley header, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Volant CAI with ram air, Weathertech floor mats, Kicker 12" sub, Kenwood 500W RMS amp, Relentless Fab front and rear bumpers, 4.88 gears, custom flatbed with swing out tire carrier
    the thicker springs do add height due to their thickness alone but also add height to to their greater and stiffer arch. The stiffer springs will reduce any axle wrap that is caused by the extra height. The blocks generally cause greater axle wrap because it causes more leverage to be applied. And the stock springs are too weak to reduce any axle wrap that may occur due to the blocks.

Generally 1" blocks arent bad IMO. It gets real bad when u see blocks that are around 3" or 4"

edit to better answer ur question: having the extra leafs the whole length of the leaf pack adds a lot more integrity to the leaf pack which makes them better even if it doesnt increase load capacity.

3. Apr 29, 2011 at 1:20 PM
    DevL

DevL [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I get that, but my understanding is that each leaf only comes into play after the one above it compresses so far. So it seems that the first few leaves, which are thin and weak, are supporting the weight of the truck and if the spring is not fully compressed, the bottom leaves are not engaged and thus only are acting as a space filler. How can they resist axle wrap? I am assuming that the spring is not deflecting in the middle during axle wrap but at the ends where they are physically weak. Is that not the case?

I also see how the added leaves inplace of a block give more support at full compression... I dont see how they could change the ride on the street though, if the leaves at the bottom are not coming into play untill a certain amount of cmpression is reached. I have heard several times about block being bad for ride quality... I am not seeing how that could be true other than at full compression where you might want more spring rate to keep off the bump stops.

4. Apr 29, 2011 at 2:09 PM
    especk

especk Nothin' Special

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Redding, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4
    3" OME lift with 885 coils on nitrocharger 90000 shocks with 5mm trim packer on driver's side, TC UCAs, Rear OME Dakar leafs with nitrocharger shocks, All-pro U-bolt flip kit and 3* Toytec shims, extended rear brakelines, 16" Raceline Rockcrusher 887 wheels with 3.6" backspacking, BFG KM2 305/70/16 tires, Doug Thorley header, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Volant CAI with ram air, Weathertech floor mats, Kicker 12" sub, Kenwood 500W RMS amp, Relentless Fab front and rear bumpers, 4.88 gears, custom flatbed with swing out tire carrier
    do u have a pic of these particular leafs?

most leaf packs have extra leafs that are engaged even when unloaded. The overload leafs on the very bottom are only engaged when the pack is compressed. so when not compressed, these overload leafs ARE just acting to give more height

To Top