1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New lift, Suspension noise - help!

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by ColoradoMatt, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Mar 13, 2017 at 7:50 PM
    ColoradoMatt

ColoradoMatt [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    2017 TRD Off-Road

Had 4WheelParts install a 3" lift a month ago, and the noises coming from the front end are driving me batsh!t. I know solid axles really well...but these IFS systems not so much so any help would be greatly appreciated.

So they put in OME HD springs (bumper pending), 5100s, and Icon upper control arms.

This thing creaks and groans like a sweaty fat girl on a waterbed when I make any sort of turn. I've taken it back twice and they say "It's normal". I get that the Uniball and poly bushings in the UCA might make a little more noise, but dear god...And also, when I was under it trying to pinpoint this noise (buddy turning the wheel), it sounds like the noise is coming from the steering knuckle. The UCA doesn't come into play until the wheel is going up and down, not so much when sitting idling in the garage so I can't see that making all this noise. It really sounds like the steering knuckle. So the question is, what, if anything could be done wrong during install that might cause the knuckle to make this much noise? How much of the knuckle/ball joint is taken apart when putting this install in?

Thanks, and sorry for being long-winded. :)

2. Mar 13, 2017 at 7:59 PM
    Kadowampus

Kadowampus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Ventura County
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 4x4 extended cab
    front & rear 5100 Bilstein shocks, eibach/toytec coils, .5" lean spacer, 2" AAL, Derped wheels, Smittybuilt 8000, Technora line, Factor 55 Flatlink, ARB Bumper, Curt receiver, frontrunner load bars, eezi-awn 1600, Lightforce lights, pop-n-lock
    well the ball joints turn when you turn the wheel so maybe its those that are making the creaking. Either way i think you should take it bad to 4WP and see what they think first. Might be a manufacturer defect.

3. Mar 13, 2017 at 8:01 PM
    ColoradoMatt

ColoradoMatt [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    That's what I do think is making the creaking. They were perfect when I took the truck in, so doubt it's a manufacturer defect. I'm wondering if during that install, is it possible they were over-torqued? Damaged? I am going back tomorrow. Both sides are getting pretty testy, so that's fun.

4. Mar 13, 2017 at 8:06 PM
    TRDinOhio

TRDinOhio Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Lima
    Vehicle:
    16 Trd Pro 4Runner
    No more Turd-gen :)
    I've heard tons of ball joints creak. Couple tie rods but ball joint is far more common

5. Mar 13, 2017 at 8:16 PM
    Kadowampus

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Ventura County
    Vehicle:
    front & rear 5100 Bilstein shocks, eibach/toytec coils, .5" lean spacer, 2" AAL, Derped wheels, Smittybuilt 8000, Technora line, Factor 55 Flatlink, ARB Bumper, Curt receiver, frontrunner load bars, eezi-awn 1600, Lightforce lights, pop-n-lock
    yeah maybe the ball joints were damaged when installing the mis-alignment spacers. guess you never know until you diagnose it further. but since its all new, i still think taking it back in would be the best

6. Mar 13, 2017 at 8:18 PM
    Kadowampus

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Ventura County
    Vehicle:
    same here. mine were recently creaking super bad. a couple drops of tri-flow and they shut right up. of course mine are about a year old and not brand new anymore

7. Mar 13, 2017 at 11:48 PM
    Nexusix

Nexusix Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad 4x4
    Might be a bad install, man you can never trust installers and mechanics these days.

8. Mar 21, 2017 at 6:37 PM
    securekey

securekey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off-Road DCSB - Blazing Blue
    I hope this is not first hand experience ;)

Products Discussed in

To Top