1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Member - 3 Gen owner with headlight issues

Discussion in 'New Members' started by TjTurner, Sep 27, 2022.

1. Sep 27, 2022 at 6:37 PM
    TjTurner

TjTurner [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tacoma
    None so far
    Evening everyone...

I'm a new Gen 3 owner, and I love it. My only gripe is the headlights--they are super dim. So I read through the posts on headlights (it won't let me post over there), and I went with the H9 replacement method. I used the Philips H9 route, removed the tab, and the install was super easy.

But I hate to say that I see nearly no difference with the stock bulbs. Right now I have one side replaced with the H9, the other stock. My son and I took it out after it got dark enough tonight, and we had a debate about which side was brighter. Seems counter to all the info here. I was expecting a big bump.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

2. Sep 27, 2022 at 8:20 PM
    Black DOG Lila

Black DOG Lila Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma SR5 2.7 5 speed 4WD
    Stock. EZ pass.Dump pass.Inspection sticker.Convict printed lic.plates.FG cap.
    Welcome to TacomaWorld

buckhuntin-tacoma likes this.
  3. Sep 28, 2022 at 7:02 AM
    buckhuntin-tacoma

buckhuntin-tacoma Shed hunter

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Quincy IL
    Vehicle:
    2014 Spruce Mica Tacoma DCLB
    4 inch lift - complete blackout, n-fab step bars, Black Horse bull bar, 20 inch light bar, anytime fog lights, added led day running lights, Fuel wheels and Falken Wildpeak tires ,custom fit seat covers, Gatorback mud gaurds
    Welcome to TW!

4. Oct 1, 2022 at 6:59 AM
    mattgecko

mattgecko The LED Lighting Guy. MattGeckoLEDs.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    South San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB O.R. 4wd TRD Super Charged
    Welcome!

5. Oct 1, 2022 at 7:02 AM
    Squirt

Squirt Certified in forklifts and meme stealing =)

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Cornfields of Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat with 3.5L of fury!!
    Rexing front and rear dash camera, some LEDs, Weathertech HP floor liners/vent shades/bug deflector/underseat storage bin, OEM Ford bed mat, Diode Dynamics SS3 Pros in selective yellow, Diode Dynamics 18" light bar in amber and universal Carhartt seat covers. Bak Revolver X4S tonneau cover. Android Auto USB plug upgrade! H11 to H9. Sound deadened/insulated floors and rear wall. VLED license plate reverse light. Yokohama GO15s. Rokblokz mud flaps. Flowmaster Super 50 Series with stock resonator. J&L catch can. Speedys Equipment resonator.
    Welcome to TW!

6. Oct 1, 2022 at 7:07 AM
    TacoTime55

TacoTime55 TT58

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Delaware
    Vehicle:
    2021 Midnight Black TRD Sport AT/DCSB
    OTT Tune, LED HLs&Fogs,TRDSkid, TalonCAT
    Welcome!

I didn't go the H9 route...I replaced my headlights with OEM LEDs & Dave Easa's Harness. I saw a dramatic difference!

I shoulda got them as a Dealer Install for $480. Instead I paid about $1300, after-the-fact. Live and learn/pay once, cry once.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
  7. Oct 1, 2022 at 7:28 AM
    daveeasa

daveeasa FBC Harness Solutions Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma OR DCSB 6MT, 2005 RC 5MT PreRunner, 2002 Tundra SR5 RCLB 4x4
    It’s not a dramatic difference. The headlights are rated Poor by IIHS. The bulb swap still has them underperforming stock bulbs on a 2nd Gen IIRC. Halogen projectors are all about form over function. I don’t like them in my Odyssey either.

The OEM LED’s will be noticeably better but come with a big price tag and won’t melt snow. But one of the big differences in my opinion is the color / wavelength. I believe Tacoma OEM LED is 6000k vs 5000 for the 4Runner. Crashnburn80 really likes 4000 and Halogen is around 3000 ish. I like the Tacoma LED headlights but if a 5000k emitter option was available, I’d want to try it out.

The best thing you can do with your halogen headlights is make sure they are aimed properly. Follow the instructions on Daniel Stern’s website for headlight aiming, cutoff down 3” at 25’ and 4” lower for your fog lights (may as well do them at the same time). Do this with normal driving load and half to 3/4 tank of gas, whatever matches your most typical driving setup. The hardest part is finding flat ground with a wall and no curb.

I need to do mine again since I’ve added a shell and swapped suspension. It takes me well over an hour to do.

TLDR, for $6 a bulb, you get numeric improvement but nothing dramatic to the naked eye. This is why crappy LED H11 bulbs sell so well, they blast foreground light and together with the color temp, trick buyers into thinking they are a worthwhile upgrade.

CraigF and TacoTime55 like this.
  8. Oct 1, 2022 at 7:34 AM
    davidstacoma

davidstacoma Friendly Curmudgeon

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma SR Access cab - Utility
    *OEM Mods: Intermittent wipers, Fogs, Keyless Entry, Lomax
    Replace both sides with the Philips H9 and see how that improves over the stock.

Products Discussed in

To Top