1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New member frame rust recall advice 2008 Tacoma

Discussion in 'New Members' started by floydpots, Dec 18, 2018.

?

Is Toyota doing right by their Tacoma owners with the latter rust frame recall ?

1. NO

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. YES

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. Well, that's a tough question...

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. Dec 18, 2018 at 8:18 PM
    floydpots

floydpots [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Central NC
    Vehicle:
    2008 4cyl RWD Ext Cab Base
    Not many.
    Hey all,
    Newbie to the site!

Here's my story:
    I bought my '08 base ext. cab Tacoma in 2014 at Cain Toyota in Canton, OH and moved to NC shortly after.
    Got the first recall info and had an inspection done in 2015 in Asheboro, NC, all was well.
    Got the second info (Warranty extension?) in August. Put it on the backburner.
    Went for my annual NC state inspection, required here for tax purposes, and asked my independent mechanic to have a look at the frame.
    With 1 payment left, but 140,000 on the odometer, I was beginning to wonder about the longevity of the vehicle. The rust recall certainly wasn't easing my mind. I wanted to go to the Toyota dealer for the second frame inspection well informed about the health of my truck.
    Of course, the mechanic for the state inspection found some nasty stuff. I've attached the best pictures I have.

Wondering what you all think of the rust, and whether you think the dealer will replace the frame?
    The rust on my Tacoma is not a perforation, but the metal is doing what I can only describe as "spalling" or "delaminating." Right under where the leaf spring attaches to the frame!

Also, what have been others out-of-pocket costs?
    I have read both nightmares of really expensive out of pocket costs, and then normal experiences where the dealership takes care of things. I figure the dealership will pressure me with trying to trade the truck in and giving me a low ball trade in, knowing it needs a new frame, or is on the verge of it. But maybe that is a whole other thread to discuss...
    Toyota Customer Service told me if I had a problem with the dealership findings or costs, to contact them. I have concern that since it's not the same dealership where I bought it, and not the same place that did my inspection back in 2015/2016, that they will be less apt to want to take care of me.

My Toyota inspection is on Thursday and I'll let you all know what they say.

Thanks for your advice in advance!

2008 20181214 inspection photos (4).jpg
    2008 20181214 inspection photos (3).jpg
    2008 20181214 inspection photos (1).jpg

george101 and MJ-12 like this.
  2. Dec 18, 2018 at 8:22 PM
    AgingDisgracefully

AgingDisgracefully Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma SR5 V6 4X4
    I don't really have advice, but I'm surprised you are having these issues in a truck that spent most of its life in NC. What part of NC are you in? I'm a fellow Tarheel, and the mechanics I have talked to in my area (the Triangle) told me that these problems are really much more of an issue in trucks with a lot of time in salt belt states.

MJ-12 and floydpots[OP] like this.
  3. Dec 18, 2018 at 8:26 PM
    TacoGlenn

TacoGlenn Nobody Makes a Monkey Outta Me!

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    '13 MGMAC 2.7L SR5
    Hellwig 1251's, Leer 122, Kahtec smart stop delay flashing 3rd brake light, de-chromed, de-badged, WeatherTech mats, WeatherTech side window deflectors,
  4. Dec 18, 2018 at 8:27 PM
    floydpots

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Central NC
    Vehicle:
    Not many.
    @AgingDisgracefully
    Thanks for your input.
    No idea how to explain it. We've had our share of snow here in Troy/Seagrove but I do travel up north some, and out to the beach a bunch too.
    What did you think of the spalling?

MJ-12 likes this.
  5. Dec 18, 2018 at 8:37 PM
    AgingDisgracefully

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma SR5 V6 4X4
    Honestly, that did not look super bad compared to some pics I've seen. I'd have to see it up close myself, but I would bet the situation is still very manageable. But I am not an expert in these matters.

MJ-12 likes this.
  6. Dec 18, 2018 at 8:40 PM
    AgingDisgracefully

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma SR5 V6 4X4
    You know someone parks something like an '08 in my parking garage in Chapel Hill. The other day, just out of curiosity, I had a quick look at some points on the frame. Looked decent to me. There was some rust on the leaf springs themselves, but that was it (except for a little very superficial, sporadic stuff) from what I could see.

MJ-12 likes this.
  7. Dec 18, 2018 at 8:46 PM
    AgingDisgracefully

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma SR5 V6 4X4
    Oh and welcome.

MJ-12 and irayfz6 like this.
  8. Dec 18, 2018 at 11:40 PM
    buckhuntin-tacoma

buckhuntin-tacoma Shed hunter

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Quincy IL
    Vehicle:
    2014 Spruce Mica Tacoma DCLB
    4 inch lift - complete blackout, n-fab step bars, Black Horse bull bar, 20 inch light bar, anytime fog lights, added led day running lights, Fuel wheels and Falken Wildpeak tires ,custom fit seat covers, Gatorback mud gaurds
    Welcome to TW!!

MJ-12 and irayfz6 like this.
  9. Dec 19, 2018 at 3:42 AM
    irayfz6

irayfz6 TTC #0249

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    McAlester, OK
    Vehicle:
    2014 Black SR5 4x4 Access Cab
    Welcome to TacomaWorld!

buckhuntin-tacoma and MJ-12 like this.
  10. Dec 19, 2018 at 4:01 AM
    MJ-12

MJ-12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tee
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited 4x4 Mag Grey
    Stock
    Welcome and good luck

irayfz6 and buckhuntin-tacoma like this.
  11. Dec 19, 2018 at 4:22 AM
    lynyrd3

lynyrd3 STRENGTH DETERMINATION MERCILESS FOREVER

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 AC SUPER WHITE V6 4x4 AT / 2020 RAV4 XLE
    Bilstein 6112s top setting ,Total Chaos UCAs ,1/4" top plate spacer driver side ,SS extended brake lines ,Old Man Emu Medium Duty Dakar leaf springs with AAL,OME carrier bearing shim , Bilstein 5125s for 2-3” of lift in rear ,Timbren SES bump stops , SS extended brake lines rear , Toytec dif drop , Hayden high performance transmission fluid cooler,aFe pro dry air filter .Baja amber driving combo ditch lights , Devil horns by Andres ,Weathertecs floor protector, American Racing wheels Baja 17x8,4.5 BS , 285/70 Falken Wildpeaks AT/3W .Body Armor rear bumper . Extra D rings in bed ,Blue sea fuse block and 100amp breaker ,HomerTaco custom grill in Super White , TRD radiator cap ,Birddawg Industries rear view mirror riser bracket ,Coverking NeoSupreme Mossy Oak seat covers , Paranoid Fabrications fuse /relay holder Painted pinch weld.Shorty antenna ,HVAC knob mod ,LED dome and map lights , Tri Fold bed cover ,UltraGauge ,Morimoto XB LED fog lights ,Energy Suspension poly body bushings and sway bar bushings ! Geartech Customs splash guards ,Salex center console organizer . Mobtown tailgate cap ,tailgate anti theft mod .X-Mat sound deadening/insulation cab floor . Mobtown weld on rock sliders 0* with kickout Raptor lined . ,NEW frame courtesy of Toyota !
    Welcome to TW :hattip:

MJ-12, irayfz6 and buckhuntin-tacoma like this.
  12. Dec 19, 2018 at 4:28 AM
    Fatmonk8

Fatmonk8 Did anyone ever tell you you're my hero?

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Delco, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 Barcelona Red Taco 3.5 V6
    Welcome to TW!

I just went thru the same thing. Sadly Toyota wont replace the frame due to delamination, they will only replace it if it has a 10mm hole thru the frame due to rust. I took my truck to the dealer for the same looking thing, above my left rear wheel the frame was splitting apart pretty bad IMO but the first dealer told me they cant replace since no hole was found. The second dealer I took it too brought me back into the shop and actually started hitting spots on the frame that where know to have bad rust, and what do you know he hit a spot that looked fine but the hammer went straight thru so now I get a new frame.

If you take it to the dealer make sure they bring you back and show you, and if you don't agree with there call you can take it to another dealer for a second opinion.

13. Dec 19, 2018 at 4:29 AM
    lynyrd3

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 6112s top setting ,Total Chaos UCAs ,1/4" top plate spacer driver side ,SS extended brake lines ,Old Man Emu Medium Duty Dakar leaf springs with AAL,OME carrier bearing shim , Bilstein 5125s for 2-3” of lift in rear ,Timbren SES bump stops , SS extended brake lines rear , Toytec dif drop , Hayden high performance transmission fluid cooler,aFe pro dry air filter .Baja amber driving combo ditch lights , Devil horns by Andres ,Weathertecs floor protector, American Racing wheels Baja 17x8,4.5 BS , 285/70 Falken Wildpeaks AT/3W .Body Armor rear bumper . Extra D rings in bed ,Blue sea fuse block and 100amp breaker ,HomerTaco custom grill in Super White , TRD radiator cap ,Birddawg Industries rear view mirror riser bracket ,Coverking NeoSupreme Mossy Oak seat covers , Paranoid Fabrications fuse /relay holder Painted pinch weld.Shorty antenna ,HVAC knob mod ,LED dome and map lights , Tri Fold bed cover ,UltraGauge ,Morimoto XB LED fog lights ,Energy Suspension poly body bushings and sway bar bushings ! Geartech Customs splash guards ,Salex center console organizer . Mobtown tailgate cap ,tailgate anti theft mod .X-Mat sound deadening/insulation cab floor . Mobtown weld on rock sliders 0* with kickout Raptor lined . ,NEW frame courtesy of Toyota !
    So the truck had spent around 6 years in Ohio . I’m sure the roads get pretty salty there in the winter ! A 2008 should be covered until 2020 for frame replacement. If you think it’s bad beat on the frame with a hammer and try and find a hole . Had mine replaced no problem with lots of extras I purchased no charge for labor !

MJ-12, irayfz6 and Fatmonk8 like this.
  14. Dec 19, 2018 at 6:18 AM
    AgingDisgracefully

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma SR5 V6 4X4
    Yes, this morning I reread the OP and realized it is 6 years in Ohio (a few glasses of Jefferson's Ocean Bourbon will do that to you :rofl:). That 6 year salt bath just might explain the rust.

I did show these pics to a mechanic friend of mine and he said he has seen much worse.

MJ-12 and lynyrd3[QUOTED] like this.
  15. Dec 19, 2018 at 6:51 PM
    Bigdaddy4760

Bigdaddy4760 Well traveled Older Than Dirt

Member:
    First Name:
    Maner
    Poolville Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DCLB TRD OR, 2004 DCSB
  16. Dec 20, 2018 at 3:14 PM
    floydpots

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Central NC
    Vehicle:
    Not many.
    So no dice at the dealership.
    As suspected, delamination but no perforation, no help @CloningerToyota of Salisbury, NC, though they were super happy to show me some new and used models and offer me (5000 online) *3500 in person for mine on trade. HA!
    Even though it looks like shit, I have no recourse.
    I suppose the rust will only get worse, and things like brakelines etc. will go bad before the frame.
    Best probably to get out from under it.
    To say the least, I am pretty disappointed in the rust at the end of my loan.
    How much longer will the truck last? I bought the truck in the first place hoping to get more than 100,000 out of it. At this point I've put 100,000 in 5 years.

@AgingDisgracefully Much worse out there? Absolutely. Is the rust on mine acceptable? Debatable.
    Anybody had luck with a third party grinding out the rust and having some stop gap stuff done?

Thanks for the feedback everybody.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    george101 and MJ-12 like this.
  17. Dec 20, 2018 at 5:15 PM
    lynyrd3

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    That sucks . If you keep it maybe get as much rust off the frame as physically possible and soak the hell out of it with Krown rust prevention. I used 3 cans on my new frame about 6 weeks ago . I bought a case of 6 cans on the Krown website ,I think it was around $50 .

irayfz6, buckhuntin-tacoma and MJ-12 like this.
  18. Dec 20, 2018 at 5:17 PM
    lynyrd3

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
  19. Dec 20, 2018 at 5:30 PM
    george101

george101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Georgie
    Los Angeles Co.
    Vehicle:
    2006 tacoma trd off road
    non
    Welcome to TW! This is so awful it didn't pass, and I'm super sorry. Yep, I'm in the same boat as you. I've spent a lot of money in the past yrs, as things have broken down on me. I have a ton of surface rust, but both dealerships and independent mechanics tell me I don't have any holes. I have a different dealer appt in 2 weeks. Just watch the holes appear right after my 12 yrs is over. I have an 06. Keep me posted with your situation. I don't know how much more time I have w/this truck. I need to stay safe.

irayfz6 likes this.
  20. Dec 20, 2018 at 5:34 PM
    lynyrd3

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    Your time on the 06 runs out the end of the year . Unless there is a extension on the frame warranty I don’t know about . Sorry I had until 2020 on my 2008 .

george101[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top