1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New member gonna buy this weekend! Need advice!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by inv3ctiv3, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Jun 25, 2010 at 12:01 AM
    inv3ctiv3

inv3ctiv3 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So I am a BMW guy but am getting into my first Toyota truck hopefully this weekend. I want a double cab but the beds are just too short as I ride 3-wheelers/quads and need to be able to fit them in the back and would just like a bigger bed. I am looking at two trucks, here they are:

2004 Toyota Tacoma - Single Cab, 2WD Pre-runner and Auto (52k Miles)

They are asking 12k but could get them down

[​IMG]

Or a 2003 Toyota Tacoma - Double Cab, 2WD TRD, V6 and Auto (231k Miles)

They are asking 12k but I could get it for 8.5k out the door

[​IMG]

They both are at Toyota dealerships (I am going to finance so no private sellers) and I don't want to buy one from some random used lot. The first one seems like the best bet since it has low miles, original owners and the bigger bed. The 2nd one is nice because it is cheaper, TRD package and double cab but it has soooooo many miles.

My question is this, should I get the 4CYL single cab with 52k miles or get the one with the TRD package and 231k miles? How reliable are these trucks at high miles? I mean I know they are really reliable that is really a lot of miles. How strong is the 4CYL for towing quads and all that? Can you upgrade the diff on the none TRD's to a TRD diff?

Thanks for all the help and sorry for all the questions.

Thanks
    - Jim

2. Jun 25, 2010 at 1:14 AM
    adktacoma

adktacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    danny
    upstate new york
    Vehicle:
    09 trd sport bsp
    stock (for now)
    welcome to tw man. That trd has alot of miles for the money imo, sounds like you should maybe be looking at a 4wd if you think ya need a locker. If you're towing I would think about a 6 cyl with tow package. The 4 cyl is a strong motor, but I don't know much about it's towing capabilities. Good luck finding the truck you want.

3. Jun 25, 2010 at 1:22 AM
    schiz94

schiz94 Thread Jacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Bellingham,WA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Reg Cab
    Morimoto Projector Retrofit, alpine cda-105,Wheelskins leather wheel cover, wet okoles,5% tint on back and 24% on front two windows,Debadged tailgate,custom sockmonkey centercap decals, xr rims pced gloss black.
    you would be good with the first one. you could also probably sell the topper. with the shorter bed tho, you can still haul atvs just with the tailgate down and prolly like a bed extender or lots of tie downs.

4. Jun 25, 2010 at 7:49 AM
    inv3ctiv3

Member:
    Yea I would love to get a 4WD but I honestly can't find one in good condition anywhere close to me, I found one about 3.5 hours away but it had almost 100k and was at a small used lot and was probably bought at an auction and they were asking almost $16,000 for it. I want to spend around 10-12k tops since this will not be my main vehicle. And I know I can still haul one ATV in the short bed but with the long bed you can haul two if you stand them up which is really nice and I need a longer bed for all my photo/video equipment.

5. Jun 25, 2010 at 10:28 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Have you tried www.cars.com or www.autotrader.com??

Sounds like neither of these vehicles are what you need. Be patient my friend....be patient.... don't rush into buying. Give it some time, and that perfect truck at the near perfect price will come along.

I wouldn't buy a vehicle with that many miles on it - no matter what vehicle it is. That's way too many miles. And, if you're wanting to tow/haul stuff and worried about the 2.7L - then, you really should look into getting a V6 with the larger bed.
    Oh, and not to mention...have you heard about the frame rust warrantees?
    I would assume those trucks have been inspected? Find out what condition the frame is in..... Research online about the 15 year frame rust warrantee. YOu'll see what I mean.

6. Jun 25, 2010 at 11:26 AM
    inv3ctiv3

Member:
    I have looked into the rusted frame issue, and I completely agree that neither of those trucks are what I am looking for. I may end up just buying an older tacoma or T-100 that is 4x4 with a V6.

7. Jun 25, 2010 at 12:11 PM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    If you need to finance your truck, think about this:

Interest rates for a used car or truck are typically higher than a new vehicle.
    Also, there might be incentives for your new purchase, and more eager sales people since they get kick-backs from the manufacturers for selling new cars.

The lower interest rate you might get for a more expensive new vehicle might just be close enough to a higher interest rate for a cheaper used vehicle. This is especially true for Tacoma's since they hold their value so well.

Good luck, and take your time.

To Top