1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New member seeks advice

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by tacoben, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Aug 15, 2011 at 3:18 PM
    tacoben

tacoben [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey all,

I have a 2000 4x4 ext cab Tacoma manual transmission with just under 250,000 miles. I've been religious about getting the oil changed and have always used a high quality synthetic.

The last time I had a general tune up was at about 100k miles. Since then what I suspect to be my tranny has started to make a whining sound when I decelerate but only while still in gear.

Other than the tranny, which I suspect I might be able to fix by simply flushing/servicing it, everything runs and works great.

I'm looking to get through grad school without buying a new truck (give or take 4 years) and was wondering what you all think I should do as far as a 250k mile tune up goes. I'd love my truck and would like nothing better than to get 300k plus out of it. I'm just wondering what the more vital things to service/replace at this point would be to get me there without spending thousands of dollars.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
    Ben

2. Aug 19, 2011 at 11:56 AM
    MacGyvR

MacGyvR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner SR5 2wd
    Welcome to TW!

If the last maintenance was at 100k, you've got a bit of work to do. If your transmission is making a weird noise, I would immediately take it to a mechanic you trust. Have you checked the fluid level?

High mileage vehicles should never flush the transmission. I believe you're supposed to drain some of the fluid and replace it with new fluid in certain increments. IIRC flushing could cause problems with seals.

As far as hardware
    -Spark plugs typically need to be changed every 90k miles.
    -Timing belt should be changed every 90-100k miles. I changed mine at 145k even though the belt looked fine.

As far as fluid
    If you've only been changing the oil, you really should check the other fluids and replace them as needed. It probably wouldn't hurt to replace them all at this point.

There's probably more that should be checked, but I'm not quite sure what else needs to be looked at. Hopefully someone else will chime in after I bump your post.:D

To Top