1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Member w/ General Overall Build Questions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Dakota 08, May 6, 2011.

1. May 6, 2011 at 8:29 AM
    Dakota 08

Dakota 08 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    08 Dbl Cab
    First of all, great forum you guys and gals have helped to create here... tons of information being given by some very knowledgeable people. I have a 2008 double cab short bed 4x4 w/ trd offroad package that is completely stock. The fun part is I finally have some money to dump into it to give it a bit more of an aggressive look. If you don't mind, I have some questions I need some help with.

1. With regards to suspension, my goal is to create more room for larger tires while still keeping a decent ride quality while not breaking the bank. Is going with bilstein 5100's set at 1.75" in the front with an 1.5" AAL a good route? If so, other than maybe some axle shims and an alignment, what else will I need? How much would going the full 2.5" affect ride, gas milage, expenditure on other parts such as UCA's?

2. Any recommendations on where to get an quality alignment?

3. When it comes to tires, I would like a more aggressive mt-style tread that's not too heavy, loud, or creates too rough of a ride. Suggestions?

4. With my suspension ideas, what would be an ideal tire size?

Thanks again for any help. Hope this post is not overkill?

2. May 6, 2011 at 8:37 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail
    1. Is a good setup. by preloading the stock springs on the 5100, the higher the lift the stiffer the ride will get. 2.5" of lift is pushing the limits of needing new UCA's to get correct alignment numbers. Larger tires will always effect gas mileage. I would recommend Goodyear Duratrac tires for the aggressive but quiet ride.

2. Firestone shops have the best deal going. I think its $175 for lifetime alignments.

3. refer to 1

4. at 1.75" lift the 285's will be a tight fit without trimming. at 2.5" the 285's will work with very minimal trimming if you use a 8" wide wheel with 4.5" backspacing. You can also get Spidertrax wheel spacers to use your stock wheels and larger 285 tires.

3. May 6, 2011 at 8:59 AM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Everything he said.:D

4. May 6, 2011 at 2:09 PM
    Dakota 08

Member:
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    08 Dbl Cab
    Any good ideas on where to purchase what I need? Any dealers having specials on bilstein stuff or tires?

5. May 6, 2011 at 3:27 PM
    Pakow

Pakow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    I got my 5100s from Down South Motorsports, would definitely recommend those guys. All Pro has a 1.5" AAL and while I don't have that piece, they have great service and I have been happy with all the parts I've gotten from them.

I ran the 5100s at the 2.5" level with stock springs for about a week, I thought it was a little stiff and rode very high in the travel so I dropped it down to 1.75" until I can order a set of Eibach coils to run at the .85" level. Also, i have the sport which has the progressive front springs stock. From what i have read here, the OR linear springs make for an even stiffer ride when you use the highest setting on the Bilsteins.

6. May 6, 2011 at 4:52 PM
    Dakota 08

Member:
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    08 Dbl Cab
    Thanks Pakow, I'll definitely check out Down South Motorsports and All Pro. If I'm only planning on going the 1.75" in front, do I need an AAL? Would that level my truck? Nose high? Rear high? I do have a canopy and rack on top of that on my bed.

Question regarding Dark Knight's tire size comment: If I'm not looking for a super tight fit and don't want to trim, what's the next most common size to go down to?

Where do you guys all get your best deals on tires, such as Duratracs?

7. May 6, 2011 at 8:24 PM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail
    Without trimming 265's will be about perfect. I think 265's still look awesome with a beefy tire like the Duratrac. There are many different variables that will determine your best tire price for where you are located. Use google to shop for tires.

Toytec and Down South Motorsports would be my choices of business to go to for suspension.

To Top