1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Mexico Owners BS Thread

Discussion in 'South West' started by twistax, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Jul 22, 2013 at 6:24 PM
    KCDuran

KCDuran Stormtrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    5 Lug'n 4 banger
    Icon/TC Mid Travel Kit, Kenwood Deck, Helix Audio System, BHLM (With Tinted Reflectors), Tinted Taillights, Satoshi Grill (color matched to super white), Stormtrooper sticker, Air Force sticker HUA! Re colored gauges (White numbers and ODO with Blue Needles) Magnaflow Glasspack Muffler, Stainless steel exhaust tip, 8k HIDs, LED Satoshi, Eye Lids, ARB locker (4.10 Gears), 8k FOG HIDs, LED Head Lamp, Tonneau Cover
    :ohsnap:

2. Jul 22, 2013 at 6:53 PM
    tomtom

tomtom Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Desert SW
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ
    The perfect alibi.

So, yeah, Tim of Elite Offroad uses this scheme to mount the front lip of the skid:

IMG_5402_zps73076a82_2194a2de19dbc99dd4b1fc34b5a79dbbac843a71.jpg

And after the last run I found out I had bent one pretty badly. Badly enough, when I grabbed it, it snapped off:

IMG_5400_zps6456968c_2e543530a21d41e4dc8a4b3ec6cefc42235ee24a.jpg

Don't know if it can be re-welded or even worthwhile to re-weld it. Thinking there has to be a better and stronger way to latch in the front of the skid plate.

If I can't get this fixed soon it means I don't have skids for the next run.

I honestly don't get it. Tim uses 3/16" steel everywhere, makes the bumper beefy as shit then skimps on this part. Something that is going to take the full weight of the vehicle when the skid is bashing against a rock. Seriously considering a different bumper set at this point. Especially dealing with the weight issues.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  3. Jul 22, 2013 at 7:07 PM
    GhostDog86

GhostDog86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Chimayo/Santa Fe
    Vehicle:
    DCSB TRD OR
    Remove mudflaps, Plasti dip badges/ lower val/ and grill, Plasti dip wheels, 5% tint all around, Tinted tails and 3rd, 55w driving lights in rear, Blue LED light strip in bed, Blue LEDs in cab/ cup holders...
    Should be an easy fix. If your new skid uses the same tabs to mount then just add a few gussets while your at it.

4. Jul 22, 2013 at 7:20 PM
    tomtom

tomtom Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Desert SW
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ
    Was thinking maybe snapping them all off and replacing with some angle steel.

How easy is it to touch up powdercoat?

5. Jul 22, 2013 at 8:39 PM
    tomtom

tomtom Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Desert SW
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ
    Seriously considering renting a Mustang for a few days so I can completely tear down the interior of the truck and get all the much needed wiring done.

6. Jul 22, 2013 at 8:44 PM
    99yodataco

99yodataco Little Taco that could

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    New Mexico, it's just a little bit fresher.
    Vehicle:
    MGM 21 TRD OR 6sp MT
    Soon...
    Nice break Tom. It's kinda why I go with 1/4" for most of my stuff now. Front bumper is still crappy until I get a sheet of 1/4" to make front and rear bumpers.

7. Jul 22, 2013 at 8:48 PM
    tomtom

tomtom Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Desert SW
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ
    I think it is more due to shitty design. Weld a lip in there all the way across and something like that won't happen. Hopefully Cloudy will have time to weld something in before the run in August.

Hertz has a Camaro available. Would be fun...

8. Jul 22, 2013 at 9:15 PM
    tomtom

tomtom Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Desert SW
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ
    Since I have to drop the bumper, I guess I should just run out and get the winch I always wanted at the same time. Really wreck my bank account. ;)

And I can SAS the truck so I don't even need a skid plate. And stop in at Discount for some 35s.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  9. Jul 22, 2013 at 9:31 PM
    99yodataco

99yodataco Little Taco that could

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    New Mexico, it's just a little bit fresher.
    Vehicle:
    MGM 21 TRD OR 6sp MT
    Soon...
    And since you gonna have to change out the oil pan you can have a skid welded to the bottom of the oil pan for the overkill effect :D then get a tranny/transfer case skid

10. Jul 23, 2013 at 5:59 AM
    pigger

pigger Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Rio Rathole
    Vehicle:
    04 tacoma 4x4 reg cab
    Detroit True-Track rear limited slip, steering rack bushings, shell, SAF decals, Wheelers 5-leaf & Bilstein 5100's, some nice LED lights from Chris, big-ass bumpers, older-than-dirt owner
    Don't rent, Tom, just borrow my truck. It's fully insured, and I have the Audi to drive; it's what I drove to work today. My truck is reliable & stuff.

Edit: My truck is SAF, though; might not be as fun as renting a pony car. :D

11. Jul 23, 2013 at 6:56 AM
    KCDuran

KCDuran Stormtrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    5 Lug'n 4 banger
    Icon/TC Mid Travel Kit, Kenwood Deck, Helix Audio System, BHLM (With Tinted Reflectors), Tinted Taillights, Satoshi Grill (color matched to super white), Stormtrooper sticker, Air Force sticker HUA! Re colored gauges (White numbers and ODO with Blue Needles) Magnaflow Glasspack Muffler, Stainless steel exhaust tip, 8k HIDs, LED Satoshi, Eye Lids, ARB locker (4.10 Gears), 8k FOG HIDs, LED Head Lamp, Tonneau Cover
    :thumbsup:

12. Jul 23, 2013 at 8:05 AM
    BSUTaco

BSUTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Boise, ID
    Anybody really solid with electronics/wiring/soldering want to install/help install URD MAF Calibrator one of these days? The unit has been sitting in the box for a couple of weeks, I am just not confident enough to tap and cut ECU wires.

Also, anybody in need of a stock exhaust for a 2nd gen DCSB? I have one sitting around that I need gone and it will get chopped up and recycled if nobody wants it.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  13. Jul 23, 2013 at 8:21 AM
    KCDuran

KCDuran Stormtrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    5 Lug'n 4 banger
    Ask Sgt Taco... he's the electro-god

14. Jul 23, 2013 at 8:21 AM
    KCDuran

KCDuran Stormtrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    5 Lug'n 4 banger
    Hey ya'll don't forget 7pm tonight at BJs!

15. Jul 23, 2013 at 8:28 AM
    BSUTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Boise, ID
    Thank you, I sent him a PM.

16. Jul 23, 2013 at 8:32 AM
    KCDuran

KCDuran Stormtrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    5 Lug'n 4 banger
    sweet, you coming to BJs?

17. Jul 23, 2013 at 8:43 AM
    BSUTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Boise, ID
    It is a possibility if I get out of the gym in time. I may show up all sweaty and nasty straight from the gym :D

18. Jul 23, 2013 at 8:44 AM
    KCDuran

KCDuran Stormtrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    5 Lug'n 4 banger
    I've done that before... fuk it haha

19. Jul 23, 2013 at 8:49 AM
    BSUTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Boise, ID
    Haha true, just going to drink beer anyway :cool:

I will try to cruise by to meet you all.

20. Jul 23, 2013 at 8:54 AM
    KCDuran

KCDuran Stormtrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    5 Lug'n 4 banger
    Sweet!

Products Discussed in

To Top