1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Mexico Owners BS Thread

Discussion in 'South West' started by twistax, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Oct 2, 2016 at 8:47 AM
    MojaveMadman

MojaveMadman Cali Raised LED

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD OR
    All New Everything
    That would be awesome! Have him shoot me a text and we can work out the details, 661-754-2061 (yes I am in ABQ, just a phone number from CA haha).

2. Oct 3, 2016 at 7:10 PM
    TacoTron

TacoTron Tacotronn

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    07 Toyota Tacoma
    No way!!! what up dudes! its been too long!

3. Oct 3, 2016 at 9:49 PM
    Zeno

Zeno Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    Stock....
    New here and glad to see there is a booming taco community here.

Finally time to start making changes to my 2015 taco.

Whitecloud, Nickel and Jmad1997 like this.
  4. Oct 4, 2016 at 7:35 AM
    Whitecloud

Whitecloud Cloudy-fabricator of things

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnathan
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Superwhite 06 DCLB
    ICON Extended travel Coilovers, Custom leaf pack, custom sliders and F&R bumpers, 295 75 17 Toyo Open Country MT's, On-Board air with F+R connectors, On-Board water with quick disconnect shower.Trimmed fenders and body mount chop. LOTS of wiring, dual battery setup, Solar charging system, with some random lights spread around here and there.
    Welcome. Let us know any questions that you have and if you need any help with anything.

5. Oct 4, 2016 at 1:49 PM
    Southwest Taco Man

Southwest Taco Man Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 SW TRD OR DCSB
    If the first guy falls through I'd be interested.

6. Oct 4, 2016 at 1:52 PM
    Southwest Taco Man

Southwest Taco Man Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 SW TRD OR DCSB
    oops, meant for Chris

MojaveMadman[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Oct 4, 2016 at 2:54 PM
    MojaveMadman

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD OR
    All New Everything
    I haven't heard from them and I am kind of pressed for time, so if you want it I am game! my cell is 661-754-2061, shoot me a text and we can work it out.

Nickel likes this.
  8. Oct 5, 2016 at 8:17 AM
    Whitecloud

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnathan
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Superwhite 06 DCLB
    ICON Extended travel Coilovers, Custom leaf pack, custom sliders and F&R bumpers, 295 75 17 Toyo Open Country MT's, On-Board air with F+R connectors, On-Board water with quick disconnect shower.Trimmed fenders and body mount chop. LOTS of wiring, dual battery setup, Solar charging system, with some random lights spread around here and there.
    Hey Chris, I should have be able to get the Tundy in town on Friday or Saturday. I dislocated my shoulder and have been in doc appointments all week. Sorry buddy.

9. Oct 5, 2016 at 10:54 AM
    MojaveMadman

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD OR
    All New Everything
    Thats what I figured. Hope your shoulder feels better. I am doing a 16 Tacoma Friday, but maybe we can do the Tundra on Saturday if you are able. Shoot me a text later this week and we can work it out.

10. Oct 5, 2016 at 11:10 AM
    Whitecloud

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnathan
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Superwhite 06 DCLB
    Sounds good. I'll hit you up Friday about a time for Sat. I might be able to leave it with you for a bit if I can borrow a rig to go to my MRI that afternoon?

11. Oct 5, 2016 at 11:18 AM
    MojaveMadman

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD OR
    All New Everything
    Man I just got the keys to my truck back last night... Not sure it needs any new drivers after what the last guys to "borrow" it did to it... hahaha

Whitecloud[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Oct 5, 2016 at 11:19 AM
    MojaveMadman

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD OR
    All New Everything
    Shouldn't take too long if the frame mounts are the same as the Tacoma. Lets hope so!

13. Oct 5, 2016 at 12:15 PM
    Whitecloud

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnathan
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Superwhite 06 DCLB
    Hahahaha

No worries. I might try to do before or after depending on what you have going on. My appt is at 1900 on saturday though.

14. Oct 5, 2016 at 2:04 PM
    Zeno

Zeno Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Vehicle:
    Stock....
    I know maybe it's not the right place...

But I am looking into getting either an OME lift or a Toytec ultimate (maybe BOSS) and was wondering if you all have suggestion on where the best place to get an install would be in the ABQ area?

Also input on which kit and why if you should feel inclined would be helpful. (End goal of 2" lift with AAL or leaf pack. Trying to avoid UCAs at least up front, but will eventually get Total Chaos once this lift, wheels, and tires are figured)

Thanks
    Z

15. Oct 5, 2016 at 2:43 PM
    MojaveMadman

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD OR
    All New Everything
    Beer and pizza go a long way for a wrench day if you can get people motivated to come help! A lot of skilled mechanics on here. My ycalendar is pretty booked up and we really aren't a mechanical shop. But it's an easy install for sure. 4 bolts on each side is all it takes to install a new assembled coilover.

As for that kit, is there a specific reason you can ant that kit? Bang for buck wise I think you are smarter to go 5100 and an upgraded UCA. They Toy Tech kits are all based off of the 5100 anyways. They have some more bells and whistles but the same shock at the heart. They may have special valving but most people have no issues with the 5100 valving and it works fine for 90% of people. If you want actual better shocks than the 5100 I would recommend Kings as the next step up. Icons are great too but are more geared for high speed off-roading and the average person would enjoy the ride of a King better.

My priorities if I had a smaller budget:
    #1 and most counted out, great tires. This is the only part of the truck that touches the road or dirt, don't cheap out and there are a lot of good options!
    #2 shocks for your intended use. 80% of people will get best bang for buck from 5100's unless you just have a ton of add ones like winches and bumpers and everything else.
    #3 upper arms. Even 5100's will stress ball joints. Get a good set up uni ball uppers from Camburg or Chaos. They are strong and allow for proper alignment. This will influence ride quality more than you think.

pigger, Nickel and Southwest Taco Man like this.
  16. Oct 5, 2016 at 2:48 PM
    Whitecloud

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnathan
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Superwhite 06 DCLB
    Chris has it right down below. \/ \/

This ^^

17. Oct 5, 2016 at 4:54 PM
    Zeno

Zeno Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Vehicle:
    Stock....
    #1 Tries will be the BFGoodrich K02 or KM2 depending on how aggressive I decide to go.

#2 Reason I asked is I picked out the lift that I pretty much wanted, being 5100s and something like the OME 884s to achieve the 2" I was hoping for. I will probably end up with something like the OME leaf pack (Dakkars are tempting) due to my intentions of adding a camper shell, rear bumper, rack, rack tent, over time. I was told that was a terrible idea by a local shop and was immediately referred to $3000 Icons... I was quite pissed needless to say.

#3 UCAs are something that will definitely happen and I think are doable with 5100s, but the recommendations from local "sales people" had me looking at much more pricey options. I am not a heavy off-road guy but when I do I need the capability.... Essentially I was afraid for the truck in its stock set up.

Thanks for the input!
    Z

18. Oct 5, 2016 at 9:17 PM
    Nickel

Nickel Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Diego
    Rio Rancho New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2013 T/X TRD
    does turning tires to black wall out count? How bout added snug top rebel.
    There's nothing to be afraid of with the stock setup! Stock these trucks will do a lot. The suspension is just going to make it feel better to you. The tires are the most important thing, followed by skid plates and sliders. That's all you really need to go way off road. IMO.
    If you're talking like hunting trails and forest roads, you're truck could probably do about anything with good tires.

19. Oct 5, 2016 at 9:38 PM
    FlapJack935

FlapJack935 i member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Abq New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Wannabe Trophy Truck
    Sick Gnar Trophy Truck Tacoma and King Ranch Raptor Killer
    Domination lighting hyperspot 4D bar. 150$ and then a 3D oz USA bar 100$ and a bamf first gen behind the grill bracket. 60$

20. Oct 6, 2016 at 6:42 AM
    pigger

pigger Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Rio Rathole
    Vehicle:
    04 tacoma 4x4 reg cab
    Detroit True-Track rear limited slip, steering rack bushings, shell, SAF decals, Wheelers 5-leaf & Bilstein 5100's, some nice LED lights from Chris, big-ass bumpers, older-than-dirt owner
    I have the 5100's with the Wheeler 5-leaf setup in the back, and I really like it. The shocks ride very well, and the truck is very supple off-road. I took it out shooting/wheeling on Tuesday with a bunch of guns & ammo in the bed, and had no bottoming issues at all, even though I accidentally jumped the truck off of a whoopti-do on a dirt road at about 50mph (all 4 in the air, landed nicely w/ no damage or bottoming). The 5-leaf setup gave me a 2 3/4" lift in the rear. The shocks alone in the front (I'm still on the stock front springs) gave me about 2" of lift there. I'm on the K02 tires, in the stock 31" size.

I'm a 5-leaf man now, baby; look out!!! :dancingbacon::turtleride::woot:

...and, Chris, those lights have been getting a lot of attention & compliments from my friends; thanks so much for your help with that. I love how they work.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
    MojaveMadman likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top