1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Mexico Owners BS Thread

Discussion in 'South West' started by twistax, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Sep 18, 2020 at 1:50 PM
    crux

crux Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    OR
    Honeycomb composite sleeper platform.

Do not know if possible, but try removing the bumpers and armor reducing the load. Then drill a small hole at each end of the tear, this helps to stop the tear. From there is is going to be a process of welding the frame back together.

Car Crafters and other body shops will not touch it due to liability. Then again I'd stay away from Car Crafters as they don't prep for body work from the start.

Welder I'd trust lives in Las Lunas, but his schedule is booked for months.

While a 3rd gen 4runner has a decent frame, it is not bullet proof. While your doing the job, I'd custom cut and weld in 1/8" steel reinforcements on the frame.

With insurance it is a crap shoot. They might decide to total the vehicle stating frame damage.

2. Sep 18, 2020 at 3:06 PM
    BigFishAllDay

BigFishAllDay And then?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    ABQ, NM, USA
    Vehicle:
    I have too many Toyotas...
    Everything... and a bag of Cheetos.
    I don't see any value in removing the bumpers & armor. The frame essentially still has a full "C" channel intact, so plenty of support for the vehicle itself, and it's not bent. What needs to happen to execute the repair is the removal of the LR coil, shock, sway bar, and upper axle link. After that the area is perfectly accessible, and if necessary I could loosen the body mounts to gain more room. Then the decision will have to be made whether to cut out the old mount and weld in a new one (which is on order from Toyota), or try to repair the existing mount. I'm thinking it would be better to remove the old mount, work on the frame itself, then weld in a new mount.

This is well within my abilities to self fix, but I'd prefer it done with a 220 machine and truthfully, I don't want to spend that much time in the garage.

I want to avoid a regular body shop due to liability on their end, also... it's almost guaranteed they'll not only have it for a month (on the back burner), but that they'll screw it up at least once. I hope to find a fabricator and/or a shop that specializes in frame repair, not high volume fender bender fixes. After talking to my agent (like talking to a wall) she thinks the St. Farm approved shops can handle it... I'm doubtful. They opened a claim, but I won't follow through on it if there's not a decent outcome on the horizon.

Nothing is bullet proof... this is what comes with the territory. I guarantee I use my rig harder than 95% of the population, and things happen.

3. Sep 18, 2020 at 5:03 PM
    TacoIII

TacoIII Mr. Boombastic

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Albuqerque
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4 off road package
    3" OME 886 coils, ARB bumper warn M8000, Lightforce 240's and 255/85 16 KM2, Redline hood struts,arb twin air compressor, 4.88's, Tepui kukenam, Pelfreybilt bed rack and rear high clearance with swing out, and custom offroad bodywork
    That sucks! I will offer up my welder, a stick the higher end one from Harbor Freight, but not my skills. Hope you get it worked out.

4. Sep 18, 2020 at 11:14 PM
    smw62891

smw62891 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Santa Fe, NM
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma DCSB
    Damn man, shoot me a text. I can put you in touch with my welder/fab guy.

5. Sep 19, 2020 at 11:28 AM
    pigger

pigger Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Rio Rathole
    Vehicle:
    04 tacoma 4x4 reg cab
    Detroit True-Track rear limited slip, steering rack bushings, shell, SAF decals, Wheelers 5-leaf & Bilstein 5100's, some nice LED lights from Chris, big-ass bumpers, older-than-dirt owner
    Nick, I don't know what your situation is for transportation, but if you need to borrow a truck to get around for now, I would lend you mine. It's not much, as you know, but it's reliable, and fully insured, and I have 2 other vehicles to use. Feel free to call or text; (505) 350-3502.

TacoIII likes this.
  6. Sep 23, 2020 at 2:10 PM
    BigFishAllDay

BigFishAllDay And then?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    ABQ, NM, USA
    Vehicle:
    I have too many Toyotas...
    Everything... and a bag of Cheetos.
    I appreciate your offer, man. I have a Hobart Handler 140 MIG with 75/25 argon/CO2 in the bottle, ready to go. I believe I have the skills to do the welding myself, but I'm not sure I can get hot enough welds with a 120V machine. That's one reason I'm looking to outsource the work, the other is that I am trying to avoid a ton of garage time. My thought was to buy a second vehicle (beater) to get me out and about while I pay someone with a hotter welder to do the work. Unfortunately, everyone on craigslist thinks their turd vehicle is worth it's weight in gold, and I can't get a welder to call me back. Might just bang it out myself this weekend.

I have contacted him and he seems pretty busy, or isn't interested. Probably the former, but I appreciate the reference.

Greg, thanks again my friend. The truck hasn't been getting any more use than it was at your place, but it'll be a big help getting to some appointments tomorrow and Friday.

TacoIII[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Sep 23, 2020 at 5:40 PM
    PcBuilder14

PcBuilder14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Southern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
    Drove to Santa Rosa today to pick up my GFC. While we were there we found out about the “Blue Hole” and went to check it out. Actually a pretty awesome place that we want to go back to and swim. Unfortunately the only camping nearby is a state park, but we’ll see.

E8AF8924-6C3C-41DA-BB7D-810397C31EE0.jpg 8BB6B3F3-FA7A-4A22-ABF6-45DB174AC60B.jpg 5A70D1B9-3FF2-4FD5-B402-7A32535C03BE.jpg 5F80E607-BA66-4F8C-8063-124100653D7C.jpg 5B515D4A-0ADE-4E8F-8A67-C6FD99453428.jpg 8ABDAD84-A75A-417E-977C-200336E36BAA.jpg

Taco505 and smw62891 like this.
  8. Sep 27, 2020 at 12:39 PM
    pigger

pigger Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Rio Rathole
    Vehicle:
    04 tacoma 4x4 reg cab
    Detroit True-Track rear limited slip, steering rack bushings, shell, SAF decals, Wheelers 5-leaf & Bilstein 5100's, some nice LED lights from Chris, big-ass bumpers, older-than-dirt owner
    Use it all you want, it sits too much as it is. I'm glad that it is useful to you. :thumbsup:
    I'll have a new plate sticker for it soon, but it's good through the end of October.

9. Sep 27, 2020 at 4:13 PM
    Taco505

Taco505 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2011 4cyl 4x4 5 speed
    OME 884's/90021, MD Dakar/Nitrocharger.
    I’m gettin lazy so just copying the previous months posts haha.

Its that time of the month again for our meet up. It's still looking like a brewery isn't really much of any option (depending on the amount of people that show) but @TacoIII is offering up his place to get some beers and distance ourselves responsibly if people are interested. @deekyn i know you’ve been keepin tabs.

When: Thursday October 1st - 6:00 pm
    Where: @TacoIII place PM for address

10. Sep 27, 2020 at 4:28 PM
    deekyn

deekyn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Land of Enchantment
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I’m in for sure!

Taco505[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Sep 27, 2020 at 4:33 PM
    deekyn

deekyn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Land of Enchantment
    Vehicle:
    Wife and I just had an awesome weekend in the CO San Juan’s for a run of Black Bear and Imogene Passes Before they get snowed in for the season. It’s so nice to have such amazing scenery so close to home.

Black Bear was interesting and super scenic on the way down to Telluride. But hot damn was that trail crowded. Hardly got any pics and no pics of my truck.

Imogene was much more scenic and a lot quieter on a Sunday Morning.

12. Sep 27, 2020 at 4:49 PM
    PereaRacing

PereaRacing Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lj
    Grants, NM
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma
    6” bds lift, 35’s, US off road winch bumper, warn winch, fab fours rear bumper
    Is black bear as bad as the videos on YouTube make it seem?

13. Sep 27, 2020 at 6:05 PM
    deekyn

deekyn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Land of Enchantment
    Vehicle:
    Short answer is no.

Long answer is no, but....

It can be done in a stock 4x4 Tacoma. If you are experienced and pick good lines it can be done with only a scrape or two on the stock skids. 4LO and down you go.

But just know that the videos that say it’s bad don’t really show just how steep and off camber it really is. It’s steeper in real life. It has one obstacle called the steps. They are steep. Quite steep. On a shelf road that drops off. But worse they are off camber. So if you pick the uphill side and get nervous and turn uphill you can flip your truck into the creek. (There’s a video of an upside down 4Runner there). If you stay driver (downhill) you’re fine. But it’s nervy. To be sure.

The switch backs are fine. Can you make a three or more point turn and not hit things? Then you are fine. They were easy.

But in the end it’s not that hard. On the off-roading scale of 1.0 to 5.0. It’s a 3.0. I agree with that rating, most of it is easy. It’s the steps that give it that rating. If you’ve done the other San Juan trails (the Alpine Loop, Yankee Boy Basin, etc) you’ll be fine.

I wouldn’t do it as my first off-roading trip. There’s real risk of bad shit if you don’t know what you are doing.

Taco505 likes this.
  14. Sep 27, 2020 at 6:39 PM
    PereaRacing

Member:
    First Name:
    Lj
    Grants, NM
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma
    Awesome...definitely want to make a trip to check it out one day. It looks amazing

15. Sep 27, 2020 at 6:43 PM
    Taco505

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2011 4cyl 4x4 5 speed
    Awesome shoot @TacoIII a pm for the address.

looks like a great trip I was out there early July and had a blast. We did Stony, Ophir, & Imogene. I highly recommend Stony if you’ve never done it before.

@PereaRacing I’d agree with @deekyn its really not terrible. The steps can be a little sketchy and another obstacle a little ways down “the slide” is a butt pucker if you have a short wheel base if you have a long wheel base most drivers don’t notice. Other than that I think the difficult rating has a lot to do with the shelf roads and the several hundred foot drop that gets people especially if you aren’t good with heights. Otherwise it’s worth doing but run some of the other trails in the area first.

16. Sep 27, 2020 at 6:52 PM
    PereaRacing

Member:
    First Name:
    Lj
    Grants, NM
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma
    Yeah will definitely run some of the other ones first. Hopefully next summer I can get out next summer to some trails.

17. Sep 27, 2020 at 6:58 PM
    crux

crux Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    OR
    Honeycomb composite sleeper platform.
    Wrapping up an overland trailer build

Message_1601148222587.jpg

dpf88101, smw62891 and TacoIII like this.
  18. Sep 28, 2020 at 12:09 PM
    valt0five

valt0five Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Val
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Off Road
    Hey guys in ABQ area! I have a 92 pickup that needs some work. Shocks are busted & I was told it looks like the knuckle is broken as well. From what I have read, you can’t tell if the knuckle is broken or not until you get under there & take of everything first? Idk. I don’t know enough about this stuff.

I’m looking for a shop that can help me out? I tried Desert Rat but they’re booked months out & can’t get parts because of COVID. Anywhere else?

380407EE-F9BE-4B75-B0D1-E7704B6F95B1.jpg

19. Sep 28, 2020 at 1:34 PM
    Taco505

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2011 4cyl 4x4 5 speed
    I'm not really sure of a shop in town that will be available any time soon, but if you have some time and are willing myself and a few others would be more than happy to tackle the job if you order the parts.

20. Sep 28, 2020 at 2:05 PM
    valt0five

valt0five Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Val
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Off Road
    that sounds awesome. Can I send you a PM to discuss parts?

Products Discussed in

To Top