1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

new mod...solar panel on the dash board

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Marioso, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Nov 9, 2009 at 11:52 AM
    dktaco

dktaco Yes MAObama is a joke!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    So. Cal (D-town aka Downey)
    Vehicle:
    05' Pre-Runner SR5 6-spd Modded
    5100's set @ 2.5", Wheeler's AAL, Toyota factory trailer hitch w/ a Reese 3.5" drop ball, Gaylord's Tonneau cover, BLHM w/ 35w 6000k HID's, Lumincs yellow fogs, Sylvania 886 bulbs in taillights for reverse lights, Debadged, Dee-Zee nerf bars, Shorty black antenna, 3M rubberized billet grille & surround, Toyo Open Country AT's 31's, K&N intake, 40 series Flowmaster, Redline Racing Synthetic fluid all the way around, Wet Okole set covers, dash mat, Sirius Starmate 5 hardwired, Cobra radar detector hardwired, paint always taken care of the finest products from Autogeek.net and a Porter Cable dual action polisher.
    Looks cool, but does nothing really for your vehicle unless you let it set for over a few months. I say get a Drycell like Odyssey they can't be beat!

2. Nov 9, 2009 at 11:56 AM
    yosh2000

yosh2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tundra CM 5.7
    he has 6-7 months to worry about that!

3. Nov 9, 2009 at 11:58 AM
    Marioso

Marioso [OP] Risueno

Member:
    San diego Ca
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Fj Cruiser
    yeah and a jobsite off highway 76 for a few months too...in the sun

4. Nov 9, 2009 at 11:58 AM
    petersharp

petersharp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
    Louisville, CO
    Vehicle:
    Ex DC LB Sport owner.
    How about attaching a wind-powered generator to the roof of the car?

5. Nov 9, 2009 at 12:20 PM
    WATRD

WATRD Keyser Soze

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Duvall, WA
    Vehicle:
    '01 S/C SAS TRD
    WATRD.com
    To be fair here, these things do a good job of offsetting the parasitic draw caused by alarms, radio memories, etc. On a standard, non-deep cycle battery, keeping the battery "topped off" can extend it's life.

I can't see that it's going to make much difference in a daily driven rig, but it might still reduce the draw down on the battery by some and have a positive effect.

I have a daily driver these days, so my rig sits for most of the week. I have a panel that is much larger than that, that keeps the batteries topped off. As I have had occasion to see, it does make a BIG difference in how long the rig can sit before I have to either jump it off the second battery or plug in the onboard charger. I have a lot of electronics, so the draw down is considerable. Last spring I was traveling and left the truck on the solar for just shy of a month and it started right up when I returned. It NEVER would have done that before the panel was wired in.

6. Nov 9, 2009 at 12:22 PM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    That is a cool idea. At the very least it cuts down on the power that is leached from the battery as WATRD says. It could also charge some small devices like mp3 players or phones while the truck is parked

7. Nov 9, 2009 at 12:45 PM
    dktaco

dktaco Yes MAObama is a joke!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    So. Cal (D-town aka Downey)
    Vehicle:
    05' Pre-Runner SR5 6-spd Modded
    5100's set @ 2.5", Wheeler's AAL, Toyota factory trailer hitch w/ a Reese 3.5" drop ball, Gaylord's Tonneau cover, BLHM w/ 35w 6000k HID's, Lumincs yellow fogs, Sylvania 886 bulbs in taillights for reverse lights, Debadged, Dee-Zee nerf bars, Shorty black antenna, 3M rubberized billet grille & surround, Toyo Open Country AT's 31's, K&N intake, 40 series Flowmaster, Redline Racing Synthetic fluid all the way around, Wet Okole set covers, dash mat, Sirius Starmate 5 hardwired, Cobra radar detector hardwired, paint always taken care of the finest products from Autogeek.net and a Porter Cable dual action polisher.
    LOL! Sounds like something stupid arse Congress is gonna try to pass! :rofl:

Products Discussed in

To Top