1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New muffler maybe installed wrong??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Kansas_SR5, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Jun 17, 2011 at 3:24 PM
    Kansas_SR5

Kansas_SR5 [OP] Tacoma World is an addiction!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2020 offroad Dbl Cab SB 6sp
    I got a local exhaust shop to install a Magnaflow muffler today. The new muffler sounds great. Im really glad with my purchase.
    I got home after taking the long way back to the house, got out of the truck and decided to crawl under to look at the new muffler.
    The exhaust shop installed the muffler vertical on its side and not horizontal like they come from the factory. It hangs about as low as my rear driveshaft. It looks like their is plenty of room on either side to have the shop recut the pipe and rotate the muffler horizontal.

I can see the word Magnaflow from my rear passenger wheel well. Shouldn't Magnflow face the ground. I have attached a photo taken from my passenger rear tire well.

Has anybody else seen this? What do you guys think?

Magnaflow muffler.jpg

2. Jun 17, 2011 at 3:27 PM
    tacobell007

tacobell007 Western Mass Automotive Coatings

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Eibach springs, OME Dakars, Walker Evans remote resi coilovers with adjustable dampening, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Icon ext travel rear shocks, Kenwood in-dash nav receiver, Kicker 10 inch sub in a ported truck box, Alpine 250 watt amp, stickers, Rigid 32" gang box, LED tool box lights, 35% tint, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 35x12.5x17 Mastercraft Courser MXT's, Fuel Off-Road Trophy d551 in 17x8.5, Retros, white corner marker bulbs, color matched front grille, custom satoshi grille mod with matching Toyota badge, aFe Pro5R drop in filter, diff breather mod, new frame from recall, SOS concepts front plate, SOS concepts rear high clearance plate with swing out and full size spare, SOS bolt-on sliders with kickout, 22" LED bar, flush mount pods in rear plate bumper for aux reverse lights, Rigid Industries dually's on SOS ditch light brackets, 5.29 Nitro gears, ARB front air locker, Detroit locker in the rear
    Did you get the middle inlet and middle outlet one?

0506091916b.jpg

3. Jun 17, 2011 at 3:31 PM
    Kansas_SR5

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    Im not sure. let me find my receipt from the shop. Theres plenty of room on either side of the muffler. If it cant be fixed than im fine with it.

4. Jun 17, 2011 at 3:35 PM
    tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Eibach springs, OME Dakars, Walker Evans remote resi coilovers with adjustable dampening, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Icon ext travel rear shocks, Kenwood in-dash nav receiver, Kicker 10 inch sub in a ported truck box, Alpine 250 watt amp, stickers, Rigid 32" gang box, LED tool box lights, 35% tint, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 35x12.5x17 Mastercraft Courser MXT's, Fuel Off-Road Trophy d551 in 17x8.5, Retros, white corner marker bulbs, color matched front grille, custom satoshi grille mod with matching Toyota badge, aFe Pro5R drop in filter, diff breather mod, new frame from recall, SOS concepts front plate, SOS concepts rear high clearance plate with swing out and full size spare, SOS bolt-on sliders with kickout, 22" LED bar, flush mount pods in rear plate bumper for aux reverse lights, Rigid Industries dually's on SOS ditch light brackets, 5.29 Nitro gears, ARB front air locker, Detroit locker in the rear
    Cause I know when my dad was getting it his done he got a middle inlet but the outlet was offset to one side so he had to return it and get the middle, middle one so it could be put in the normal way

5. Jun 17, 2011 at 3:37 PM
    Kansas_SR5

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    I just looked at my muffler. The rear outlet is in the middle and the front inlet is on top. With that being said will it not rotate towards the driveshaft? Can it not be fixed?

6. Jun 17, 2011 at 3:41 PM
    Kansas_SR5

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    Should I bother with getting it fixed. Im not wild about it....kinda bugs me a bit!!!!

7. Jun 17, 2011 at 3:43 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Did the shop give you any type of warranty? Call em up and complain...tell em they're work looks like ass :cool:

8. Jun 17, 2011 at 3:46 PM
    tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Hmm... maybe there might not be enough room for proper cooling. See if they will swap it out since they messed it up or for the fact you are not too carzy about the looks. Could tell them you going to go off roading and it will get beat up if it stays like that

9. Jun 17, 2011 at 3:54 PM
    Kansas_SR5

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Kansas
    Vehicle:

Thats my big worry is that its going to get beat up hanging that low. If I stand back about 40 feet from the truck I can see it hanging there. I cant even see my driveshaft. It covers it up. I will see what the shop says on monday.

10. Jun 17, 2011 at 3:58 PM
    tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    If they have good customer service they should swap it out or at least turn it for you. The shop my dad got his done at did it in 30 mins and was very courteous. We recommend them to everyone that needs exhaust work.

11. Jun 17, 2011 at 4:02 PM
    Kansas_SR5

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Kansas
    Vehicle:

Its close to the bottom of the frame.

12. Jun 17, 2011 at 4:11 PM
    tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Wouldn't it gain more ground clearance though? I know what you mean though

13. Jun 17, 2011 at 4:12 PM
    Kansas_SR5

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    True, but I could not see my stock muffler because it was tucked up under.

14. Jun 17, 2011 at 4:13 PM
    Kansas_SR5

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    I will think about it over the weekend and make my choice after I talk to the shop on monday.

15. Jun 17, 2011 at 4:18 PM
    tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    True true, but what if they ordered him up a middle inlet and middle outlet and ran new pipe? Plus if you can see it then I'm not sure how clean of a look that is. Not trying to start anything man, but either way it could still get smashed up.

16. Jun 17, 2011 at 4:27 PM
    tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Alright yea I can understand that. I thought he meant he could see it sticking out somewhere from a little bit away.

Products Discussed in

To Top