1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Nissan Frontier

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rpoint16, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Aug 12, 2008 at 8:04 PM
    StompinStu

StompinStu Active Member

Member:
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Access Cab I4 5 speed
    The only thing I saw in this video that the reviewers said the Nissan was better at was highway seat comfort. From that the "Nissan ruled?" The rag out its short wheel base, and mention the engine strained while towing. But in closing "the Nissan towed with ease." Did they even read their own notes??? Contradicted about 4 or 5 statements.

2. Aug 13, 2008 at 12:09 PM
    poleman72

poleman72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner
    Oh come on guys the Frontier beat the Tacoma fair and square. Stop being upset about it and move on. You're not the ones that built the truck..you're just consumers.
    Sure it doesn't look as good as the Tacoma, and the front crash test rating is 4/5 stars compared to the 5/5 Tacoma. But overall it's a better truck because of price, interior room, and power.

3. Aug 13, 2008 at 6:22 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Try watching the video first. You'll see that, in fact, the Frontier DID NOT win and that's the point. What you're missing is the quality which isn't anywhere near that of Toyota. Having owned a Nissan recently, I know this for a fact.

Price, you get what you pay for. Interior room, you're just plain wrong. Power, sure, it has more HP but is just as fast as the Tacoma and tows the same. Nope, not seeing any advantage for the Frontier here. Compare the two on autos.com.

4. Aug 13, 2008 at 6:49 PM
    TacoCo

TacoCo Aspiring wrench monkey

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road DC V6 Magnetic Gray
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    I took a crew cab Nismo edition Frontier out on a dirt road, and it was all over the place on the corners. Took a DC TRD Off-Road equipped Tacoma out on the same road, and it handled much better than the Frontier. It was night and day.

The Frontier's price is attractive, but that's about all that was attractive about it to me. The salesman tried to sell me on it, even told me he'd give me a $5k trade-in on '98 4Runner with 215k miles on it. I did some checking around regarding service, and the Nissan dealer charged $160/hr for service! You may save a little money on the front end, but they'll get it out of you eventually.

5. Aug 13, 2008 at 7:11 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    ^Now see, that's exactly my experience. I was offered a great deal, about $2000 less, on a similarly equipped Frontier when trading in the '05 Altima 3.5SE that I had problem after problem with. I walked away and paid more for a Tacoma.

6. Aug 13, 2008 at 8:36 PM
    Ridingontrd

Ridingontrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Laughlin,N.V
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 w/towpkg
    aFe prodry,Dynomax ultra flo ss,Scangauge2,Demello front bumper,BudBuilt skids,sliders(local)AllPro rear bumper,Wet O's cobalt blu,w/halfpiping,TRD logo in gold,R/L hood struts,5150's@10"aal 3 pack,T/C uca,Light racing c/o,1"diff.drop,de-badged,
    Only thing missing here is a few :) :p :D :devil::thumbsup: This is funny.

7. Aug 14, 2008 at 4:37 AM
    taconinja

taconinja Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    08 Base 4X4
    There are people who don't want a truck for the purposes a Tacoma owner wants a truck. We call these people Nissan-owners.

8. Aug 14, 2008 at 4:46 AM
    Ridingontrd

Ridingontrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Laughlin,N.V
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 w/towpkg
    aFe prodry,Dynomax ultra flo ss,Scangauge2,Demello front bumper,BudBuilt skids,sliders(local)AllPro rear bumper,Wet O's cobalt blu,w/halfpiping,TRD logo in gold,R/L hood struts,5150's@10"aal 3 pack,T/C uca,Light racing c/o,1"diff.drop,de-badged,
    lol,And then we can call them a tow truck. :D

9. Aug 14, 2008 at 7:17 AM
    poleman72

poleman72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner
    I did look at the video. And it seems the Tacoma won on offroading and towing. But the Nissan won with comfort and convenience. I have confirmed this myself by test driving both vehicles. The Tacoma is a bit smaller inside as the driver doesn't have a whole lot of room...if you look at the video, the driver's legs is sticking out in an awkward position when he's inside the Tacoma. I'm 5ft 11in. and I feel the same when sitting in the Tacoma.

I'm not a Nissan owner by the way. I actually own an '02 Tacoma and looking to purchase an '09 Tacoma Double Cab Sport. And I am being unbiased in this competition.

What I believe the Edmunds guys should have said was: Both trucks would satisfy consumers depending on their wants/needs. If you want to tow or are more of an enthusiast to use the truck for sport/offroading (like most of you on this forum), go with the Tacoma. But if you're the average consumer that drive a truck to work everyday or go cross-country/interstate driving, you'd do best with the Nissan.

10. Aug 14, 2008 at 8:24 AM
    taconinja

taconinja Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    08 Base 4X4
    +1

I'm saying that if you do the research and drive both you will end up with whatever truck is right for you. The Taco is right for a certain niche as is the Nissan. I test drove both, researched them, compared numbers like the engineer that I am and liked both. You are right about the Frontier, it is more of an on-road truck and pleasant like an SUV. You also get more for your money. But in the long-run for people who want a truck truck, you can't go wrong with the Taco. Nissan simply saw the success Toyota had with the little guy and simply wants a piece of the market. Kudos to them for trying. The Taco will keep evolving one step ahead of the Nissan and continue to be the reliable truck that it always has been. But if you've only $21k* to spend you can get a new DC, V6, 6 speed 4X4 Frontier or Reg, I4, 5 speed 4X4 Tacoma.

*An arbitrary number around what Nissan quoted me for that truck and what the Toyota online configurator has my truck priced at.

11. Aug 14, 2008 at 8:31 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge

Yeah, Nissan likes to do it in the backend of its Customers. :laugh::laugh:

12. Aug 14, 2008 at 10:19 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    Just don't sit in the back of the Nissan. I'm the same height, and in regard to the Access cab models, the Tacoma is bigger. DC are possibly the same, I didn't look back after test driving mine :p

Products Discussed in

To Top