1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New open recall for 2018-2019s on 3/28/19...K0B Millimeter Wave Radar Sensor

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by dal3_gribble, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Apr 4, 2019 at 8:30 AM
    Tgruetzm

Tgruetzm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB OR MT
    I don’t think they’d deny fixing this, but this isn’t technically a recall. Personally I’m not going to hassle myself with going in to get it fixed unless I have problems.

From Toyota.com

Safety Recall Campaign
    In accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act, when Toyota, Lexus, or Scion has determined that either a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety or a noncompliance with a Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard exists in your vehicle, a Safety Recall Campaign is launched. The specified inspection and/or repair will be performed at no charge to the vehicle owner.

Special Service Campaign
    A Special Service Campaign is the Toyota, Lexus, or Scion owner notification program to inform customers about specific product or technical issues for which inspection and/or repair is being offered without an expiration date. These issues are typically customer satisfaction initiatives. The described service will be performed at no charge to the vehicle owner.

2. Apr 4, 2019 at 11:34 AM
    Denteen

Denteen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D
    Central valley CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    TRD Pro suspension-2nd Gen Frontrunner bed rack Tacowiede radio knobs! Best mod everrrr!!! DSM mount Wheel swap to OR’s. For now... Gone-2005 DC Icon Stage 2 with Rear Resis;ICON 3 leaf AAL installed! Gone-2001 xcab 4x4 4cyl 5spd. Best truck ever...
    Ditto- Mine did this on a rainy day heading to LA a month ago or so. I believe it also controls whether or not you can activate your cruise control? As it was not allowing me to use that function...if that is true, then it makes sense why it happened. I was pretty irritated at the time. After seeing this recall, it made me remember that day. Glad to see there a few people here surprised at the number of recalls this Toyota has had. I have had many new Toyotas without a recall, so I can only assume all these damn sensors are affecting the industry as a whole.

payrow[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Apr 4, 2019 at 12:15 PM
    Juice33

Juice33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    L.J.
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    2018 6MT Tacoma TRD Pro
    I was told this fix will take "half a day." At least they will shuttle me to and from work.

trazerr likes this.
  4. Apr 4, 2019 at 12:21 PM
    Flash1034

Flash1034 Well-Known Member

Member:
    N/W Montana
    Vehicle:
    2023 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro, Solar Octane, Automatic
    MESO Stage 1.5 LED Taillights Falken Wildpeak AT3W Tires in 265/75-16
    Well, I showed up today and was told Toyota has now directed them to replace the part with a redesigned part they have to order. Don’t call us, we’ll call you when the new sensor arrives. For the record, mine has not malfunctioned at all.

5. Apr 4, 2019 at 4:10 PM
    Vanderjdm

Vanderjdm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Off Road
    5% Tint, ARE V-Series w/ Yack Rack, Ebay Grill, Emblem Black Out Kit, Bumpershellz, Predator Tube Steps, Radioknobs by Tacowiede, Kicker Speaker Upgrade
    Mine has malfunctioned quite a bit. Glad they're recognizing it's a problem.

Pyrotech likes this.
  6. Apr 4, 2019 at 4:46 PM
    Jmac2408

Jmac2408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD Off Road 4x4
    They denied to do my recall because of pro grill.

7. Apr 4, 2019 at 4:48 PM
    evoxtaco

evoxtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Salinas, California
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma Off Road
    King Lift, TC Upper Arms, MESO lights, SCS Wheels.
    Can they deny recalls?

8. Apr 4, 2019 at 4:52 PM
    Jmac2408

Jmac2408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD Off Road 4x4
    They said due to aftermarket trd grill unable to perform recall. I’m actually a tech at the dealer, they called our field service rep who told us to hold off for now.. there is a different procedure for covering the TRD Pro sensor and the Standard Sensor, I didn’t realize the sensors were actually different until I asked my parts guy to run the part #s. I’m annoyed by it, but oh well for now.

9. Apr 4, 2019 at 4:56 PM
    TacoTruck2019

TacoTruck2019 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 Double Cab 4x2
    What toyota owners app are you guys using? Every time I check for recalls on mine it says not able to process at this time. Its been saying that for 3 months now.

10. Apr 4, 2019 at 5:00 PM
    jamesfishn09

jamesfishn09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tundra
    https://www.toyota.com/owners/my-vehicle

11. Apr 4, 2019 at 5:07 PM
    darkfader

darkfader Will this fit without rubbing?

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB6MTFTMFW
    I stopped by a dealer today to inquire about the process on this recall. I was told my grille was no problem but they will deny anyone with a lift. Lol. He also said they aren’t adding sealant, just checking the sensor for any codes thrown. If codes, replace. If no codes, no replacement. I may check with the other dealer, or I may just let it ride. Haven’t decided yet and I haven’t had any malfunctions.

Edit: he also said “every dealer is being told by corporate to deny if lifted”. I’m calling BS on that part but I just said ok, I’ll call later to schedule an appointment.

12. Apr 4, 2019 at 5:19 PM
    payrow

payrow Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Santos
    Vehicle:
    '18 DCSB Sport
    Yep, it will not let you use cruise control once it glitches. I told the technician and service writer that I thought water intrusion was a factor. They told me that it was a sealed unit and water could not get into it.

I love my truck, this is my third Toyota truck and second Tacoma. The first to give me any sort of trouble light. I know it comes with the territory - new electronics/first year equipped with them. Almost hesitated and got a '17 but my wife's 2016 Kia Sedona has the same kind of safety/tech (plus more) and I really really like it! I thought Toyota would have it figured out and went with the '18.

So far one of the three things that bother(ed) the shit out of me about the truck are fixed. The trans update got rid of the gear hunting. Hopefully this radar repair fixes the second which is the false alarms and glitching when it rains. The third thing and final thing that bugs the hell out of me is the abrupt shifts when accelerating or decelerating at slow speed between 15-20 mph. I'm hopeful they come up with a TSB for this. I know I can't be the only one that this happens to.

13. Apr 4, 2019 at 5:24 PM
    payrow

payrow Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Santos
    Vehicle:
    '18 DCSB Sport
  14. Apr 4, 2019 at 5:27 PM
    Tacoma1845

Tacoma1845 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport DCLB (Inferno- Premium/Tech)
    Got my truck back yesterday. Dealer replaced my sensor and they didn't say a word about my oem pro grille.

JonesMGMOR likes this.
  15. Apr 4, 2019 at 5:38 PM
    GatorAintBoutDat

GatorAintBoutDat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD OR DCSB Cement
    It amazes me how bad transmission programming has gotten, and it's not just Toyota. My Tacoma and my 2014 Camry love to abruptly upshift and fall on their face if you're trying to drive normally and it's very noticeable, especially in the Camry where it feels like you hit something and everyone in the car lurches forward, then it downshifts and abruptly upshifts again just to make sure you felt it lol. My Acura TLX with the ZF 9HP? Oh, you guys should buy one and have some real problems. All "normal characteristics" of the transmission, and I won't get into it here but the car is offensive to drive unless you are driving it like a race car. At the limits the transmission is a modern art masterpiece but if you're on a date and trying to keep things smooth it will cock block you by throwing drinks, and anything else not secured, directly onto the occupants of the vehicle.

My 2001 Silverado on 35s is by far the smoothest shifting vehicle I own, however the gas mileage sucks and the transmission needs to be rebuilt about every 75k miles lol. Most newer cars suck in the trans programming department in an effort to increase fuel mileage and decrease maintenance (cost of ownership) by castrating the transmission with "lifetime fluid", ridiculous shift logic, and overly aggressive torque management. It's the new normal.

To add my relevant two cents....my dealer said the Pro grill was fine as long as everything was Toyota.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  16. Apr 4, 2019 at 6:35 PM
    jamesfishn09

jamesfishn09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tundra
    Yes. This will also work. Not all like the POS app.

17. Apr 4, 2019 at 6:44 PM
    ERod27

ERod27 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR DCSB
    Icon Stage 8 (tubular UCAs) Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT 285/70/R17 17" 4 Runner TRD PRO SEMA wheels TRD PRO skid plate limo tint
    Does this mean I'm infected? ‍♂

Screenshot_20190404-184326_Chrome.jpg

18. Apr 4, 2019 at 6:51 PM
    mrCanoehead

mrCanoehead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB Sport manual 3.5 l
    Is this documented in the owner's manual? I have had the truck say "Brake!" to me at low speed but there was never an automatic brake application. Is there a minimum speed below which the truck will not brake itself?

Only time my truck brakes automatically is when someone is pulling off into a turn lane to the right. The truck always brakes itself for some reason, it is annoying. I think it is a system to make sure I have to pay the detailer every few weeks to clean up coffee spills.

TimC likes this.
  19. Apr 5, 2019 at 11:33 AM
    Not_Sure

Not_Sure Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 Model 7545 in Silver Sky
    Bike rack
    You are not alone.

payrow[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Apr 5, 2019 at 12:24 PM
    Itchyfeet

Itchyfeet Well-Known Member

Member:
    If most people seen what the part looks like they'd opt out of this recall. I have no desire in having someone remove my grill twice. The rumor mill is that this is a band aid fix and a new revised sensor will come out later

Products Discussed in

To Top