1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New PC Build

Discussion in 'Technology' started by SlimDigg, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Nov 4, 2011 at 1:07 PM
    SlimDigg

SlimDigg [OP] We Back!!

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    Coming Soon....
    Hey i'm building a new PC.

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - $22.99

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler - $33.99

COOLER MASTER ELITE 335 & COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS-550-PCAR-E3 550W - $89.98

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
    +
    ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z68 - $409.98

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) - $69.99

I'm just gonna use the HDD from my current rig for now to save costs on a new one and a copy of windows 7. Also gonna get a Geforce GTX 570 in a near future.

Anyone with experience with these parts or suggestions?

2. Nov 4, 2011 at 9:32 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Good luck with Asus, this last Asus board I bought, I went through three of them before I could get it to boot. Turned out part of it was not liking my TV as a monitor, but regardless, it should have worked.

Specs look good, definitely get a SSD!

3. Nov 4, 2011 at 9:34 PM
    SlimDigg

SlimDigg [OP] We Back!!

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    Coming Soon....
    Yep SSD for sure!! Gonna bank up a bit more and get the new Samsung 830 128 gig :) That's why i'm going with the z68 board for the ssd caching

4. Nov 4, 2011 at 9:36 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Just make sure you optimize it, put all your profile information and stuff that gets accessed frequently on a platter drive. All my profiles are on a cheap 80GB, while all my programs are on on a 64GB Mushkin SSD.

5. Nov 4, 2011 at 10:51 PM
    SlimDigg

SlimDigg [OP] We Back!!

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    Coming Soon....
    What do you mean by platter information? The way I understood it was to put the OS and games on the ssd

6. Nov 5, 2011 at 12:29 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    SSDs don't like to be written on frequently, they get old when you do. My user profiles are set to be saved on my old school platter drive since they get written and accessed constantly.

7. Jan 1, 2012 at 2:15 PM
    Tylerm5000

Tylerm5000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 2.7l reg cab 4x4 5-speed red pearl
    Alcan stock height 4-leaf springs, greaseable main eye bolts, OME greaseable shackles, all energy suspension bushings, 2-row extra deep radiator, KYB gas-a-just shocks. ALL LED exterior and interior lighting including custom tail lights and blinkers.
    That is true to an extent. Most of the new SSDs write evenly across all memory blocks to slow the wear rate.

To be honest your brain loses more brain cells a lot faster than an SSD wears out under normal use.

For example, a good SSD will handle 20 gb per day read/right and it would take years to wear it out.

If you don't max it out and abuse it, it could still take 54 years to slow the hard drive down and reduce capacity. I learned about this from a hard drive expert.

They are excellent for OS boots, games and other programs. They are also excellent for storage. You could use it to back up your media drive. If you are just writing more data and not erasing it, the drive will last through several computers. The only thing about them, like all hard drives and computer components, is the fact that they can randomly fail or be damaged physically.

I wouldn't use it as a page file drive. You could use a SATA 3 or 6 gbit/s transfer rate to achieve reliable results. I don't like using them for caching.

The best use for them is storage and programs. Your computer will boot extremely fast. I am running mine on SATA 2 and it boots in less than a minute and I can open programs as soon as I can see the desktop. And the programs open lightening fast.

When purchasing one, keep read/write speeds in mind as well as SATA 3 capability assuming you are building a new machine.

8. Jan 1, 2012 at 2:59 PM
    tbturner47

tbturner47 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Barcelona Red TRD Off Road
    Wait on getting the GTX 570 till Nvidia drops their new line, should be coming out soon. Prices will drop when they do.

Or you could get the new one:D:D

So far everything looks good. Asus makes good products, no motherboard manufacturer can make perfect boards 100% of the time. And besides, most boards are really made by the same companies (ie Foxconn) and then other vendors add their own flavors

EDIT: If you haven't overclocked before and want to I'm always willing to lend a hand. Just let me know

Also, you will have to upgrade that power supply if you get a 570.

9. Jan 1, 2012 at 3:50 PM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    Yeah def upgrade the power supply. Maybe to 1kw or so. And get a good quality one. Ive seen flaky power supplies do weird things to computers.
    How much more is the i7 2600k than the i5? Might want to check that out too.
    We use nvidia gtx 580s at work and they are beasts but you could cook your dinner with them... Not sure if you mentioned gaming or not but you could look into that as well.

Products Discussed in

To Top