1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Pennsylvania Vehicle Emissions/Inspection Thread!

Discussion in 'North East' started by PennSilverTaco, Mar 13, 2017.

?

Do you mechanics doing PA vehicle inspections is a conflict of interest?

1. Yes.

37.5%
  2. No.

62.5%
  1. Mar 13, 2017 at 10:27 AM
    PennSilverTaco

PennSilverTaco [OP] I have Ass Burgers...

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Central Bucks, PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC auto 5-lug
    See signature!
    Please DO NOT post anything related to politics, as that's what got my whole "PA Inspections" thread entirely deleted last time.

This thread is based on a conversation my dad and I had recently, and we both agree that the way the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania does vehicle inspections constitutes a major conflict of interests.

How many people think allowing emissions testing and safety inspections to be done by dealers, gas stations, and independent mechanics (In layperson's terms the very same people who profit from performing maintenance on and repairing vehicles)?

By comparison, New Jersey stopped doing safety inspections entirely in like 2010. Jersey also has independent emissions testing facilities where you remain in the car while they do the work and it takes like 10-15 minutes. On top of that, brand new vehicles purchased and/or registered in New Jersey are exempt for emissions testing for the first 5 years of ownership, regardless of miles driven or number of owners in that time! If your vehicle fails, they tell you what's wrong with it, and you are granted an extension to drive it to a mechanic for repairs.

Luckily, I take my truck to my dad's mechanic who is very honest and just does what needs to be done. He routinely gives me and my parents military discounts because of my dad's status as a Navy veteran. Before we take a long family trip, my dad's mechanic will also do a checkup on my parents' vehicles for free! That should tell you how honest my mechanic is. He even lets me hang out in the shop while he's changing my oil (now you know why I got so pissed at my Toyota dealer for not letting me retrieve my GPS out of my truck 2 weeks ago)!

The Commonwealth of Virginia only requires emissions testing and a safety inspection every two years, and only in the DC suburbs is emissions testing required. Everywhere else only requires a safety inspection.

2. Apr 16, 2017 at 5:06 PM
    PennSilverTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Central Bucks, PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC auto 5-lug
    See signature!
    The owner of this older Yukon has the right idea...

NOTE: Inspection expired in March 2017 and picture was taken in April 2017.

If everybody (and I do mean EVERYBODY) in Pennsylvania just boycotted getting their vehicles inspected, what's Harrisburg gonna do about it?

IMG_3736.jpg

Message to PennDOT:
    :brianr:

3. Apr 16, 2017 at 9:35 PM
    stbear

stbear Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE PA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD Sport
    Boycott really? Try it and see how long you go without getting a ticket.

4. Apr 16, 2017 at 9:41 PM
    tomwil

tomwil Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast USA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Reg Cab 4x4
    Maryland (metropolitan areas) only has emissions 2-year testing. The only safety inspection required is at vehicle purchase.

PennSilverTaco [OP] likes this.
  5. Apr 17, 2017 at 5:33 AM
    PennSilverTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Central Bucks, PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC auto 5-lug
    See signature!
    Why do you think I don't boycott it? I've had my driver's license 6 years and I've NEVER even been pulled over! I say everyone in the Commonwealth should boycott it.

6. Apr 17, 2017 at 5:36 AM
    moe2o4

moe2o4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Pittsburgh PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR Silver 2.7L 5 Speed
    OME 3" Lift, 32" Tires, Lots of Mods!
    Well Starting this year PA now has 2 year registration if you opt to do it.

7. Apr 17, 2017 at 5:40 AM
    PennSilverTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Central Bucks, PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC auto 5-lug
    See signature!
    Hell yeah!

My philosophy is "Keep everything on the truck up to date so police don't pull me over and harass me." This is especially true when I work the late shift at the bar. Police are so eager to catch a drunk that they have literally tailgated me while running my license plate at about 2 in the morning, just because I'm the only one on the road. Then they back off when my license plate comes back clean. I do not have a problem with the police. I just don't feel like dealing with them, especially after working 10 hours!

8. Jun 10, 2017 at 8:11 AM
    egres

egres Well-Known Member

Member:
    DELCO PA
    Vehicle:
    13 singel cab - 2WD - manual - 17K before tax:)
    Bench-seat covers $180 (Can't believe its not leather),Bed Liner $375 (Bed rug), Roof rack $180 (Rhino-rack 2500 Series, plus DK clamps and pads), Modified Bed extender $85 (Extend-A-Truck 944 Truck Bed Extender), Hood lift assist $80 (RedlineTuning), Hood light $53 (tacomaworld.com âtacodaneâ), Hitch receiver $120 (Curt Manufacturing 13323 Class III Receiver), T connector for trailer $43 (CURT Manufacturing 55513 T-Connector), Manuel tailgate lock $30 (gatekeeper tailgate lock), Tailgate assist $28 (Sachs SG329900EZ Lift Support), Tailgate lock $67 (Pop & Lock Tailgate Lock Tailgate Lock PL5301), Spare tire lock $12 (Trimax ST30 Trimaflex Spare Tire Cable Lock), Hardwired battery float charger $20 (Schumacher SE-1-12S-CA Fully Automatic Onboard Battery Charger - 1.5 Amps) , Vin # Glass etching $33 (vinguard.org), Easy oil drain plug $30 (Fumoto Engine Oil Drain Valve), Floor mats $80 (Husky Liners 2-Piece Front Liner 2-Piece Front Liner), out of space :)
    Bought my taco in 2013, sticker expired February 2014. Since then I did not renew. No mechanic touched my truck since I bought it, I do everything myself and probably with more care then any mechanic could. I go beyond "severe service" intervals and refill with expensive stuff like Red-line.

On other hand I got 2 tickets, I think they were $40 each. I was parking on meters in Philly. Now if I go to the city, I don't park at the meters, I go to garage. Some say that inconvenience, but to me looking for parking is inconvenience and no sticker gives me another excuse just to park in the garage.

Did not have problem parking anywhere else. Had interactions with PA and NY cops who looked at front windshield and did not say a thing. Mater fact, last time was last week when cop was writing incident report for my slashed tires.

If I knew honest mechanic who would do detailed inspection, not just check a box, then I would not mind paying for safety inspection at all. (I will not do emissions at mechanic because I can test that myself, plus truck is new)

9. Aug 14, 2017 at 7:32 AM
    Bastek

Bastek Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seb
    SI NY
    Vehicle:
    '17 OR MGM
    Some stickers, plastidip and radio knobs
    In NY inspections are performed in very similar way. I mean, by independent mechanics, pass or fail $37 safety/emissions (NY Metro area, older cars).
    You don't have to fix your car at the inspecting mechanic shop, but still have to pay twice.

10. May 15, 2019 at 10:29 PM
    PennSilverTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Central Bucks, PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC auto 5-lug
    See signature!
    REVIVING THE THREAD!

11. May 15, 2019 at 10:32 PM
    PennSilverTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Central Bucks, PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC auto 5-lug
    See signature!
    Pennsylvania also requires you to show proof of insurance and registration in order to get your vehicle inspected! I think this is just another example of "Big Brother's watching." However, the law doesn't bother me that much and my biggest grievance is that I have to give my "papers" to the person checking my truck in as opposed to just leaving them in the glovebox. I would prefer to leave the paperwork in the glovebox to minimize the risk of it getting lost.

12. May 19, 2019 at 10:47 AM
    PennSilverTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Central Bucks, PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC auto 5-lug
    See signature!
    CLICK HERE

Look at the very first incident...

A 63-year old guy "altered" his inspection sticker, on his 1984 Chrysler? Oh, the humanity!

The poor bastard probably couldn't afford to make the necessary repairs for his vehicle to pass inspection, nor could he afford to buy a new vehicle. Cut the guy some slack!

Also, why are police conducting a "regulatory checkpoint" on a Tuesday? Do they really have nothing better to do?

13. May 24, 2019 at 8:28 AM
    psmura

psmura Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Syracuse, NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR MT
    [​IMG]
    This sticker was found by the Montgomery County Sheriffs here in NY LOL.
    Safety inspection is fine by me, the emissions part can be a real ball buster on older cars.

Products Discussed in

To Top