1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New pop up camper? Topo Toppers

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by mud, May 27, 2021.

1. Jan 13, 2023 at 3:19 PM
    Veggie Taco

Veggie Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Yay Area
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road [MGM]
    Everything, except the ones I haven't done yet ;)
    Your tape is well past the top bolt and you're already at ~13.5" at the top of the handle.

Unfortunately I don't think it would work, unless I make a super angled mount to clear the opening of the handles.

Oh well, thanks though!

2. Jan 13, 2023 at 3:37 PM
    killerkeener

killerkeener Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 trd 4x4 manual
    None yet

I think it could work ... and yes an angled bracket to clear the latch ..there's some dude on YouTube that made brackets for similar install with tern hatches ... I personally am planning on storing my gear in the truck bed /camper ...no sun fade ..or visibality for theft

Veggie Taco[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Jan 14, 2023 at 6:36 AM
    Tiny_Taco

Tiny_Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Turd Gen TRD OR AC 4X4
    Stuff and Things
    It took me almost a year to decide which one to get. I liked the Project M the most, but I knew it would be the worst one for my little 4 banger reg cab. The more I looked at the GFC, the less I liked it. I'm pretty tall, so a wedge just wasn't going to work for me. I also wanted something that I could do some sort of build in the back and have a "living" area, for those times that the weather really sucks. No side windows on the GFC kinda killed it for me. I really don't care about side access, I'd rather have windows to look out of and open up for ventilation for my dog and I. Being so tall, I can stretch in from the tailgate and grab almost everything. We all have different wants and needs. The final decision came down to looking at a few in person. The Topo really stood out and how nice the owners and their crew our sealed the deal. It also helps that they are less than 2 hours from me.

4. Jan 14, 2023 at 9:30 AM
    AdventureGuyTy

AdventureGuyTy Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR SB Blazing Blue
    Of course it depends on your specific needs, but GFC doesn’t hold a candle to the badlander in my opinion, and this is why. The lower truck cap portions are functionally the same if you choose side access doors, but the tent portion provides a drastically different experience. Once it’s time to actually get in bed, the badlander gives you a more spacious, comfortable, and practical space. Scenario: sitting up in bed comfortably with pillows against the rigid wall at the head of the tent and grabbing some snacks and drinks from the cooler just below the foot of the bed without moving any bed panels. It sounds simple enough, but would be completely impossible in a GFC.
    Sure, we all go camping to be outside, but it’s super nice to wind down the same way we do at home and maybe watch a movie, especially if it’s cold/rainy.

5. Jan 15, 2023 at 6:55 AM
    trd_semipro

trd_semipro Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cyle
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD-Offroad
    Just saw them the other day, will definitely look more into them, just becoming more and more of a fan of the badlander everyday.

6. Jan 15, 2023 at 6:58 AM
    trd_semipro

trd_semipro Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cyle
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD-Offroad
    Ya, I got to see Topo at Expo, and they are extremely well built. I do like the fact you can add windows or side doors at any time in the Topo. Not totally sold on their new side doors yet. Tent space is really becoming the deciding factor. Just me, my wife and a little pup, but we plan on adding in the near future.

Thanks for the input!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
    Tiny_Taco[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Jan 15, 2023 at 8:34 AM
    Tiny_Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Turd Gen TRD OR AC 4X4
    Stuff and Things
    More great points! I forgot about not being able to get down from the GFC bed without removing panels. That was another deal breaker for me. Although, I can say that I've had my blankets fall down twice now, in the Badlander. I need to get some that aren't so slippery and maybe Velcro one corner or something.

8. Jan 18, 2023 at 12:15 PM
    jdblu

jdblu Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB
    I posted early on in this thread and now after a year of ownership and all-season use, wanted to restate my complete satisfaction over my Topo Topper. Thomas and Katy are top quality people dedicated to their product and customers. I know my Badlander will serve me well for a very long time.
    What one seeks in their set up is incredibly varied and this topper serves as a fantastic place to start, complete as is for me, or as built out as one desires. My needs were very simple and straightforward, but primary of which was all season use, stout, sturdy and capable of keeping me comfortable and dry regardless of snow, wind and rain, which is exactly as it has turned out to be.
    I’m happy to answer any questions folks may have. Not many detailed interior pictures, but can try to if requested. Here’s samples of it in use.
    80384A17-15C0-40E4-B01A-5D7B5F189FF3.jpg06261014-4AFB-468A-B550-C4A458D74540.jpg
    3E8492AA-F120-4987-9B45-7D359C33242E.jpg 5625F2EB-8882-47E6-895A-58636A872999.jpg FD7A23AE-86DD-4D1B-90D9-287F6CA14722.jpg C7BA769C-218D-48D5-A844-70EF8F0E7CD0.jpg

ECE23F4B-58BF-4524-9554-3A96C4DB1043.jpg

9. Jan 18, 2023 at 7:07 PM
    trd_semipro

trd_semipro Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cyle
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD-Offroad
    Ya, the more I look at photos of that extra from in the front, I like it more and more. Significantly heavier but I do like the option of being able to customize different options of the camper, like the doors. I do wish the windows of the tent were bigger though.

Have you had any problems with leaking in the tent at all while it’s closed?

10. Jan 19, 2023 at 8:17 PM
    TacoJay808

TacoJay808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tacoma TRD Off Road DCSB
    Was looking into aluminum caps like the smart cap or RLD design camper. Eventually going to put a rooftop tent but this these toppers look awesome.

11. Jan 20, 2023 at 8:23 AM
    Wishbone Runner

Wishbone Runner Because 4R

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    CO
    Vehicle:
    04 SR5 4Runner
    King/Dirt King
    Any issues with water leaks? Any concerns in high winds?

12. Jan 20, 2023 at 8:39 AM
    trd_semipro

trd_semipro Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cyle
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD-Offroad
    Look into the original Alu Cab camper shell as well, extremely simple design. If I was going camper shell life again, I would buy that one.

Topo is the next step after a camper shell, hah!

13. Jan 20, 2023 at 1:02 PM
    jdblu

jdblu Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB
    Wishbone Runner,
    No leaks at all in the camper canvas, roof, windows or structure. I’m just running down some typical trickles from the usual gen 3 Tacoma bed issues cause OCD can creep up on me sometimes. I’ve been in very strong snow storms with high winds and had close to a foot of compact snow up there without issue and, given the taughtness of the canvas and strategic parking, had minimal issues. I could hear gusts, but didn’t have untoward movement, only when the entire truck was blasted.

14. Jan 24, 2023 at 8:59 AM
    TheTacomaInn

TheTacomaInn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    17 OR Access Cab, OME 887,HD Dakars, 285s
    Hey Joe!

I have a friend who has been waiting for his Vagabond Drifter wedge camper for over 2 years. I am trying to convince him to pull the plug and purchase a Badlander. One of his big concerns with the Topo Badlander is snow loads. He will be using it to chase storms in the winter. Looks like you use yours in the winter as well. What are your thoughts on the roof supporting snow in the up position?

Also the Badlanders don't currently offer an insulation package for the lower shell portion. Have you added any insulation down there? I assume it wouldn't be to difficult to add some foam to the wall but I haven't seen one in person so hard to say.

Thanks in advance for your help.

15. Jan 24, 2023 at 9:45 AM
    jdblu

jdblu Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB
    Hello TacomaInn,
    I had a deposit down with Vagabond too for over a year thinking wedges were a non-issue with snow load, got out of it for my Badlander and have no regrets. I camp in it often and, as your buddy, storm chase and ski chalet out of as well.
    Yes, straight pop ups can collect snow while deployed and I try to be cognizant of accumulation. It handles snow loading extremely well, and if things seem marginal, I can always drop the foot end of the camper roof to dump snow.
    As far as insulation goes, I got the softwall insulation package and then I installed foam board with speaker carpet on the hard walls, full coverage bed rug and a thin sheeting of foam on the ceiling panel, all in the name of reducing condensation with little expectation of major heat retention. It all does that, makes it cozy and does keep some heat.
    Very satisfied with it for winter use.

Tiny_Taco and trd_semipro like this.
  16. Jan 24, 2023 at 11:08 AM
    Tiny_Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Turd Gen TRD OR AC 4X4
    Stuff and Things
    I've never used mine while snowing, but I can tell you that it can handle the weight of a 300 pound person hanging on one end.

I had a dumbass moment this last weekend. It was 16 degrees when I was packing up camp in a hurry and couldn't get the rear to come down, no matter how much ass I put into it. Turns out I forgot to undo the velcro that holds the folding mechanism in place:rofl:

17. Jan 24, 2023 at 11:11 AM
    tscheidy

tscheidy Member

Member:
    IN
    Vehicle:
    05 Silver Streaker TRD Off-Road
    This thing is almost as good looking as my OVRLND hahaha

18. Jan 24, 2023 at 11:12 AM
    Tiny_Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Turd Gen TRD OR AC 4X4
    Stuff and Things
    What foam did you use on the sides and top? I've had the top collect condensation and rain on me a few times and this last weekend the condensation just froze. I don't really care about heat retention either, just don't like getting rained on or sitting down in the back and then leaning back on to a cold wall.

19. Jan 24, 2023 at 12:12 PM
    jdblu

jdblu Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB
    Tiny_Taco,
    I used rigid foam board with speaker carpet glued to it for the hard sides and this for the ceiling:

https://www.amazon.com/US-Energy-Products-Reflective-Insulation/dp/B07YSX1K4G?keywords=US+Energy+Products&qid=1674590785&sbo=RZvfv%2F%2FHxDF%2BO5021pAnSA%3D%3D&sr=8-8

Both solved the issues you mention, but the ceiling can still lightly frost up in cold, but it won’t get to the point of dripping this way.

Tiny_Taco[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Jan 25, 2023 at 10:18 AM
    Tiny_Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Turd Gen TRD OR AC 4X4
    Stuff and Things
    Thank You!!!