1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Product! RSI SmartCap

Discussion in 'Offroad Alliance' started by OffroadAlliance.com, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Dec 10, 2020 at 6:27 PM
    Doublecross

Doublecross Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robbie
    New york
    Vehicle:
    Work in progress
    ARE cap, wade inchannel vent visors, weathertec floor mats, ranch hand grill guard, tuffy security boxes in bed, lockable tailgate handle. Still have stuff that needs to be installed and still have stuff ordered lol.
    i wonder why they dont make them for the 2nd gen tacomas

2. Dec 10, 2020 at 7:06 PM
    EvilWarlock

EvilWarlock Rockin Wheeler

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2011 TxPro 4Wheel Double Cab
    2.5" Fox Lift Kit w/Fox Shocks Res, Total Chaos UCA, RCI Aluminum Full Under Armor, JCS Rims, Relentless Rear Bumper w/tire carrier, Victory 4x4 Front Bumper W/Badlands Apex Winch, 4.88 Gears W/Rem ISF Polishing Cryo Gen. RLD Canopy Topper, Cali Raised LED lights, All-Pro Rear Expedition Leaf Springs, 4-Runner Big Brake Kit W/R1 concepts Performance Brake Pads. 285/70 R17 Falklins Offroad Tires.
    I just received a email from RSI. Not at this time, but they are thinking about it. I hope when they see how many 2nd gens owners on here would like one of these caps they will make them. I am sold! put me on list.

3. Dec 16, 2020 at 12:47 PM
    Darkside161

Darkside161 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off Road manual trans
    taco.jpg taco2.jpg taco3.jpg

I've had the Smart Cap for a couple months now and have put some miles in with it. I just got the roof rack this morning and installed it. It's the drop rack if anyone is wondering. First off this thing is well built, I have no complaints on the fit and finish of it. I followed the directions on the install and have had zero leaks in the bed from rain. It does take some help putting it together upon arrival and getting it on the truck, but other than that it's pretty straight forward. The gull wing openings are great for getting at what's in the bed or moving it to get it stacked in. I took the truck hunting a couple weeks ago and had the bed packed with coolers, gear chest, and camp equipment. Those big openings made it easy to get what I needed without pulling a bunch of stuff out of the bed. I have the full bin on the left side of it and it'll hold a MS271 saw with 18" bar, gallon of premix, and gallon of bar oil with extra room. The only complaint I have is that I wish the front of the cap near the cab had an opening or glass that would allow the cargo light to shine in from the truck cab, I think the newer units for full size trucks have this feature. Also the wiring for the 3rd eye can be a pain, but there is a forum that addressed that already. RSI is supposed to be sending out the plug and play for it and newer caps should come with it. I had to wire mine in, not a big deal, but you spend a bunch of money last thing you want to do is cut in to your brake lights on the truck. I'm super happy with the cap, if you've got one ordered you won't be disappointed. If you're on the fence about it and the amount of money it costs, I'll just say I was there too and thought I needed a mental evaluation after I ordered it. It's built like a tank and you won't regret it. I'd have taken some better pics, but it's raining and cold.

I am in no way affiliated with Off Road Alliance. I ordered all my RSI stuff through them. The local dealer that could get RSI stuff couldn't touch Off Roads price and free shipping. They're good at keeping you up to date on your order. It took almost 2 months to get the roof rack in, but they didn't leave me in the dark and you can always call. I called once and had my question answered promptly, by someone that speaks english, and no going through an automated system.

So for what it's worth, I am a happy RSI smart cap owner and hopefully this helps someone else.

4. Dec 16, 2020 at 12:55 PM
    OffroadAlliance.com

OffroadAlliance.com [OP] Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Brockton, MA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Pro

Looks awesome! And those top racks are great. Glad we could get you setup and appreciate the honest feedback on the cap as well as your experience with us. Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help.

5. Dec 16, 2020 at 1:10 PM
    Darkside161

Darkside161 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off Road manual trans
    I forgot to mention that if you put your truck in a garage or carport and want to add a rack, be sure to measure the clearance between the cap and the top of whatever you park it in. If you don't have a cap then add 6 inches off the roof of the truck for the cap and 12 inches off the roof of the truck for cap and rack. It's not exact but it's what I used to ball park it to get my truck into the garage.

6. Dec 19, 2020 at 12:18 PM
    99ranged

99ranged Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    '19 TRD OR
    Do they still plan to have a paint match option? Also any updates on locks that can be used from inside? Thanks!

7. Dec 24, 2020 at 9:26 AM
    grex

grex Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR, DCSB, MGM
    Just a quick note on the x6 locks on the smartcap. After a few good rains / car washes the locks get SUPER sticky. I used a drop of TriFlow on each lock and they seem to pretty close to normal. I put one drop on the key and ran in/out of lock. I really think RSI should pre-treat or send some lubricant...

8. Dec 28, 2020 at 12:39 AM
    Superhulk LB

Superhulk LB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2019 superwhite DCLB off road
    Tonneau cover, Black exhaust tip, blacked out badges and tailgate lettering. Black rhino(glamis)18x9 wheels with +12 offset. LT265/70/18 Toyo Opencountry ATIII. Metaltech 4x4 rock sliders Cali Raised lower grill light bar/mounts TRD Pro Skid, DD Fogs(pro), Ironman 4x4 FC pro lift.
    Hi; curious how to get one color matched? Is that an option? Thanks

9. Dec 28, 2020 at 9:37 AM
    OffroadAlliance.com

Member:
    Brockton, MA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Pro
    RSI is not currently offering color matching. If you do want one color matched, any paint and autobody shop can custom paint it to match your truck. But these caps are only being offered in matte black for the foreseeable future.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    Superhulk LB[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Dec 28, 2020 at 7:34 PM
    Acetigg

Acetigg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Tacoma Off Road DCSB
    LIFT OME Kit with Nitro Charger Shocks w/ 888x coils OME Trim Packer for 05+ Toyota Tacoma OME Nitrocharger Sport Rear Shocks ARB Dakar Leaf Pack TIRES: Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/75/R16 Truck bed: Decked system Fridge: Dometic cfx75dz Bed rack: Bamf low profile Tent: Smittybilt rtt Remote start: N2 designs remote start with app module
    How much extra is it fort hat roof rack on top?? And is the only difference between the 2 smart caps are the color??

11. Dec 30, 2020 at 10:04 AM
    TopQuark

TopQuark Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Shelton, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD OR DCLB AG 4x4
    How much room do the gull wing add-ons take up inside? Hard to see from the pictures online. Would be interested in a photo from the back with tailgate down.

Considering half-bin in the back so my dog will still have both windows.

12. Jan 8, 2021 at 2:00 PM
    OffroadAlliance.com

Member:
    Brockton, MA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Pro
    @Doublecross @EvilWarlock

ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!

RSI will be releasing a SmartCap for the 2005-2015 Tacoma this summer!

In the mean time, RSI is looking for your help. The RSI engineering team in Auburn Hills, Michigan, is trying to locate a Gen 2 Tacoma with a 5' bed to laser scan the truck. If you happen to own or know somebody who owns a Gen 2 Tacoma short-bed in or around that area who would be willing to let them use it, please email Info.NA@rsismartcap.com. The RSI team will need the truck for a day, and we will pay the truck owner $500 for their time.

[​IMG]

HandOfGod likes this.
  13. Jan 8, 2021 at 2:05 PM
    OffroadAlliance.com

Member:
    Brockton, MA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Pro

Full Bin
    26lbs 12.64” Depth 46.34" Width 16.57” Height
    Load Rating = 110lbs

Half Bin
    16lbs 12.64” Depth 26.61” Width 16.57” Height
    Load Rating = 110lbs

Here's a picture of the full bin on a Ranger from the outside:

[​IMG]

Here's a picture of the kitchen from the interior. The bins are not quite this large, but it gives you an idea.

[​IMG]

TopQuark[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Jan 8, 2021 at 4:23 PM
    TopQuark

TopQuark Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Shelton, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD OR DCLB AG 4x4
    Thanks for the additional pictures. I have a long bed so that’ll be half bin. Wanted to see how much room is left for the dog in the back lol.

15. Jan 11, 2021 at 12:18 PM
    Taco_koma

Taco_koma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    SE Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma SR5
    I am local if your still needing to look at one. 2012 DCSB

16. Jan 11, 2021 at 3:16 PM
    OffroadAlliance.com

Member:
    Brockton, MA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Email them! They'll advise.

17. Jan 13, 2021 at 5:21 PM
    Taco_koma

Taco_koma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    SE Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma SR5
    I sent a mail a couple days ago but no response.

18. Jan 15, 2021 at 1:36 PM
    Needatrdpro

Needatrdpro Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    How tough are these to put together and install? I have a regular tool set. Nothing fancy.

19. Jan 16, 2021 at 1:15 PM
    OffroadAlliance.com

Member:
    Brockton, MA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Pro
    That's all you'll need. Their fairly simple and do not require any custom tools.

20. Feb 27, 2021 at 3:17 AM
    rocklobster2008

rocklobster2008 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jayson
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2008 Red Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Brute Force Fab front bumper Dobinsons Snorkel 35" Nittos Bilstein 5100s ICON leaf springs RSI SmartCap Bed Replacement Diode Dynamics lighting Custom built morimoto headlights RCI full skid
    Has anyone attempted to install one on a 2nd gen just for shits and giggles? To my knowledge the bed measurements are identical as far as length and width. Just curious what about the two generations are different?

To Top