1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New puppy.....Help!!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by TacoDawgfan, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Jun 30, 2011 at 5:49 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Sounds like muzzle time.

2. Jun 30, 2011 at 5:59 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

X 10 to both these, the biting everything in sight is pretty normal for about any pup cutting teeth, & puppies have such a high level of energy that must be dealt with or what you get is what you describe : a seemingly disobediant pet that almost does things just to piss you off..!!

You need to either run them or find a older dog (maybe a neighbor's dog) to help mentor your pup.. take away some of that energy on a daily basis & I promise , you'll have a brand new pup....;)

i've got a 6 month old lab that is finally getting out of that stage now.[/QUOTE]

Shit , tell me about it !!:D My Lab Kacy just turned 5 months & she too is really settling down & gettin' with the program, great dog she's becoming...

3. Jun 30, 2011 at 6:00 PM
    Black Sheep

Black Sheep Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black Dbl Cab TRD T/X Pro
    6" Pro Comp Suspension lift with Pro Comp leveling kit, Bilstein 5100's, Full leather interior with seat heaters, Go Rhino step bars, Sony XNV-770BT Head Unit with NAV, DVD, XM and Blutooth, Tonopro toneau cover, Tinted windows, Black mesh grille, Projector headlights with HID lows, HID fogs, Crystal Eyes rear LED taillights, Weathertech mats front and rear
    I have had my 15 month old Pit Bull since he was 3 months old. He is also a chewer. He has gone through 6 cell phone cases and 1 blackberry. I consider that my fault because I left it on the coffee table. I have also lost about 6 hats, a pair of cowboy boots and a few shirts. I write it off to being a puppy. We took him to 8 weeks of puppy classes when he was 4 months old. That really helped. He has eaten an entire baseball with jsut part of the core being left. He swallowed the entire cover.

Just keep working with him as much as you can and he will come around. Remember, he is still a puppy. Puppies are trainable.

4. Jun 30, 2011 at 9:55 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Ok, my wife has experience with this; she says the first 9-12 months is Hell with a Puppy.

Why is the Puppy chewing like crazy? It's their Baby teeth coming in.

My wife says to go to the Dollar Store and buy a cheap pack of wash cloths; tie them into knots (individually) and soak them in water squeezing out excess water then FREEZE the cloths in the refridgerator.

The puppy loves the frozen cold washcloths because it soothes their gums.

Also, buy those toys made of fire hose material.

Good luck.

5. Jul 1, 2011 at 4:21 AM
    05 TRD Sport

05 TRD Sport She's Fat, I'm Drunk, It's On.

Member:
    30 minutes south of Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    Red Prerunner AC
    Take this brother, may it serve you well.
    [​IMG]

6. Jul 1, 2011 at 5:26 AM
    cleanTRDmachine

cleanTRDmachine watch the meat

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Q-Town, PA
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD
    tint gray camo seat covers debadged color matched grille surround off of 06 TRD sport grillecraft black mesh grille Hella 500's demudflapped Toyota rear leaf TSB (first edition) 265/75/16 BFG AT TA KO's Flowmaster Super 40 #952445 Maglite Mod AntennaX 13in antenna Painted Lower Valance Vision X H4 Xenon headlights Halo Solaris H10 foglights Velocity Offroad 2.5 leveling kit (removed) Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers Rocky Mounts Clutch SD bike mount 4ft combo lock cable for bed extender Stage I interior LED's Toytec 1.5" AALs Extang Trifold Signature Series Bed Cover Reese front mounted tow hook Icon Stage 1 Suspension
    You have to establish who's boss. Grab him, pin him down on the floor and make him look at you. Tell him who's boss. pick him up and give him a rub. When he does something wrong, continue to pin him down.
    Use a deep voice when giving commands.
    A good smack on the ass is ok and also one of these...
    [​IMG]

7. Jul 1, 2011 at 5:42 AM
    SilverTacoEater

SilverTacoEater Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pasadena, MD
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Stock
    Sounds like you got your hands full with this little fella!

You say you're dog is part collie and terrier. These dogs are working dogs and have to have a job to do to be happy and content. They have alot of energy and it needs to be burned, especially after being cooped up in a crate all day. Take the pup outside for a long walk, throw a ball for him or take it for a swim. Once he gets some of that nervous energy out he will settle down.

As for the biting, collies naturally have a nipping behavior build into their breed because they are used to herd sheep. this will be a hard habit to shake. i would get a water bottle full of half water and half vinegar and give him a spritz in the face/mouth when ever he chews or nips at somethign you dont want him to, then replace that forbidden object with a toy he is allowed to chew on. Make sure you tell him no in a commanding voice but only say it once.
    You dont want him to think when you tell him no, he has a choice.

Lastly if you go to petsmart you can get a spray called sour apple. you can spray it on things you dont want him to chew on. it leaves a really sour taste in his mouth and he wont want to chew on that object again.

Im not really into hitting animals too much but i dont see any problem with a solid wack on the nose with two fingers. the thing is when you do this you have to catch them in the act. if you do it otherwise he wont couple the bad behavior with the correction. good luck!

8. Jul 1, 2011 at 5:57 AM
    764mike

764mike Well-Known Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab
    Go to a website called Leerberg. They sell a collar called a dominant dog collar. Its a thin collar that is sized to the dog and fits high on his neck. Then start obedience training with him. Start by walking with him on your left side and heeling him. If he attempts to walk in front of you just lightly pull on the leash and firmly tell him "no" followed by a calm "heel". It will take time so be patient. Also, while walking have him sit. If he doesn't want to do it again firmly tell him "no" followed by a calm "sit". The collar works by constricting their breathing so be gentle at first and gradually get firmer. It will not hurt the dog trust me. A dog needs to know you are the boss. They are pack animals and it sounds like he thinks he is the leader. It is your job to change that. After a while he will be walking right next to you without having to correct him. Obedience training is key to his behavior. It will change his entire demeanor.

9. Jul 1, 2011 at 6:07 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I am guilty of not reading the entire thread only the first post.

Terrier breeds are high energy, to save yourself some trouble make sure they get plenty of exercise. Key point is a tired dog is a good dog!

Oh and I see nothing wrong with hitting a dog, use it as an attention getter. Pay attention to your voice, speak firmly, don't hollar, scream or yell, that will send the dog mixed messages to him it sounds exciting.

When he bites I'd use my finger and pop him on the bridge of the nose and tell him don't bite, your choice of words here but everyone should use the same words, every time as soon as he does it. The person being bitten must do the correcting. If you don't like that try saying ouch in a panicky voice to interrupt his train of thought.

Dogs are like people and each one has a different personality. I've trained a few and have had to adjust myself to each animal. 4 Boston Terriers, 3 APBT's, 2 lab Shepard mixes, 1 Staffordshire, 1 Boston/Rat terrier, 1 Doberman.

When training I find it easier to work young dogs for short periods a few times a day. Something like 15 minute intervals 4 times a day.Always stop while the dog is having fun, you should stop before he/she gets bored.

Went back and reread the first post. You said collie, possibly the nipping is from that heritage. They nip to herd animals.

10. Jul 1, 2011 at 6:16 AM
    AuburnTaco

AuburnTaco Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Auburn
    Vehicle:
    Black 2010 4x4 SR5 DC
    Wind deflectors, bug and stone deflector, RollBak Tonneau Cover
    I've got a 4 year old lab. When he was younger he chewed up the baseboards in our mud room when we were gone one day. You have to hit him to show him who's boss, like everyone else is saying a slap or a stern warning - definitely not animal abuse. Also the bitter apple works very well. He used to lick his paws raw and we sprayed it on them and he hasn't licked them since. Best of luck to you! I know it can be very frustrating at times

11. Jul 1, 2011 at 6:16 AM
    TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD sport 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Weathertech front floor liners, window vent visors. Custom bedside decals. OEM bed mat, tonneau covrew. Added D rings to bed.
    Everything said here is true.

12. Jul 1, 2011 at 6:20 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    Oh and You said you see "pit" in him but no terrier. Just an FYI A.P.B.T. is American Pit Bull Terrier, the only dog to be called a "pit."

13. Jul 1, 2011 at 6:23 AM
    cleanTRDmachine

cleanTRDmachine watch the meat

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Q-Town, PA
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD
    tint gray camo seat covers debadged color matched grille surround off of 06 TRD sport grillecraft black mesh grille Hella 500's demudflapped Toyota rear leaf TSB (first edition) 265/75/16 BFG AT TA KO's Flowmaster Super 40 #952445 Maglite Mod AntennaX 13in antenna Painted Lower Valance Vision X H4 Xenon headlights Halo Solaris H10 foglights Velocity Offroad 2.5 leveling kit (removed) Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers Rocky Mounts Clutch SD bike mount 4ft combo lock cable for bed extender Stage I interior LED's Toytec 1.5" AALs Extang Trifold Signature Series Bed Cover Reese front mounted tow hook Icon Stage 1 Suspension
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Jul 1, 2011 at 6:25 AM
    Major91

Major91 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD OffROAD Barcelona Red
    On Anytime Fog Lights Satoshi Grillcraft Misc LEDS 5100's all around Konig's16". Duratracks, debadged,tinted fronts, custom shifter, flyzeye

Usually what happens when you have something locked in a crate for a portion of the day. I suggest more exercise for the dog which is very cute hey. Our mix goes to Doggy day care 3-4 times a week to be around other dogs. Also has been to training for 2 weeks straight. The day care is key since he can socialize with others plus there pretty much content at the end of the day when you pick em up. After dinner my dog Rocco is out cold at 6 PM for the night...........

Be patient.....watch your emotions when around the dog.....make sure your calm.......they feed from U.........best wishes!

15. Jul 1, 2011 at 6:33 AM
    river rat 69

river rat 69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    We breed and train bird dogs. Crates are a must, we start ours out at 6 weeks, put a kong toy stuffed with peanut butter in with them. I dont hit dogs in the face or head it may make them fear bitters. You can roll lips inside and push down on there nose & jaw so they know there teeth hurt.There is lots of good post in here for you but I think time is going to help you and him. Now is the time to get the im the boss into him. Jim

16. Jul 1, 2011 at 6:35 AM
    Major91

Major91 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD OffROAD Barcelona Red
    On Anytime Fog Lights Satoshi Grillcraft Misc LEDS 5100's all around Konig's16". Duratracks, debadged,tinted fronts, custom shifter, flyzeye
    Kong toys are a must.......only toy that my dog will not destroy! :D

17. Jul 1, 2011 at 6:39 AM
    Toyotacrawler

Toyotacrawler She's got the jimmy legs

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    5100's set to 1.75" Wheelers 3 leaf progressive AAL & 5100's for the rear Konig Countersteer Offroads K&N Drop in WeatherTech's Bed Mat Blacked out Badges Rear leaf TSB
    You could try the use of a prong collar. We used and still use on our GSD and it works wonderful. It simulates how the mother corrects the pup when they act up. ONLY use it during training time. Do Not leave it on the pup all the time as a full time collar. Don't get the cheep versions that they sell at Petco. Look at this site... jefferspet.com. Here is the direct link to the collar. http://www.jefferspet.com/herm-sprenger-prong-collars/p/3000/
    You can add links to the collar as the puppy grows or take links out of the one you purchase to fit your pups neck. This is very effective way to get your pup under control. Also google the proper use of a prong collar. You never want to pull on the leash when correcting, just a quick jerk is all that is needed.
    Also as others have said exercise! If we didn't have ball time everyday with our GSD he would be a handful. Hope this helps, cute pup by the way!

18. Jul 1, 2011 at 6:40 AM
    river rat 69

river rat 69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    Forty years of dogs we have found nothing like them . We give one to all our puppy folks...

19. Jul 1, 2011 at 6:42 AM
    TacoTabe

TacoTabe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Northeast PA
    Vehicle:
    '93 pickup

^This (for the most part). Though everyone has heard about dominance/alpha male/pack mentality stuff with dogs, few people understand how much this plays in training/obediance.

The dog must follow you through the door, walk beside or slightly behind you, etc.

When you give it a command and it doesnt immediatly respond, you use a deeper, harsher/more stern voice. Gently hit the dog if necessary, but for the most part, you shouldnt need to hit the dog to establish dominance.

This is how I trained my dogs since childhood, and when I starting dating a K9 cop, I found out that working dogs are trained in a similar manner. My ex's dog did whatever it was told, when it was told, because it knew that its handler was the 'pack leader' and was to be followed.

Once you've established dominance over your dog it will be obediant. And you'll be amazed how loyal the dog is to you.

20. Jul 1, 2011 at 6:53 AM
    2008taco

2008taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    san diego
    You have 2 high energy breeds in him. After you uncrate him you MUST exercise him for at least 15 minutes. It should be the first thing you do when you uncrate him. In other words do your small chores like putting groceries away first, then uncrate him, dont reverse it or he will get bored and entertain himself like he is. Make sure you have at least one chew toy in every room. If he starts chewing something he is not supposed to. stop him, tell him sternly no, and then give him the thing he should be chewing on, if he drops that and goes back to chewing the object you don't want him to be tell him no again only this time put a muzzle on him. You must do all of these within about 10 seconds so that he can correlate it. If you don't like the 1 finger tap to the nose you can use a spray bottle of water, but this has the potential to make him scared of water all together.

Products Discussed in

To Top