1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New radio, Double din, Kenwood ddx419 or Pioneer App radio?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas' started by customgrind, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Dec 9, 2012 at 5:35 PM
    customgrind

customgrind [OP] Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    06 4DR 4X4 LB
    Pro Comp 6 Inch
    Going to install the Kenwood dbl din, ddx419, or the Pioneer app radio, still trying to decide, Kenwood plays dvs, cd etc, app radio is full intergrated with I phone but no dvd slot. Let me know if you have done one or the other, thx
    [​IMG]

2. Dec 9, 2012 at 6:41 PM
    hakabo

hakabo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Concord, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 urban runner 4x4
    hope someone has done the app radio. I was considering the app radio vs a few different $400ish kenwood/pioneer double dins. in the end, most of the review weren't so hot on the app radio, although the idea seems bad ass (which led to some thread on here about people modifying their dash to mount ipads).

I'd say the install is about the same, but I would lean toward a more traditional head unit, most of them will stream any media from your phone anyway, and with attachments can even stream the maps...

3. Dec 9, 2012 at 10:20 PM
    00PowderSpecial

00PowderSpecial Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD DC
    I have the appradio 2 and love it. It mounted nicely, and looks really good on the truck. It works good enough, my only complaint is with some apps it takes a couple updated to the app before it works seamlessly. I mostly use Rdio in the truck, and it works awesome except the screen is bright and theres no dimmer and the only option night time is to turn the screen off which is 2 clicks away. Using an ipod it's fine at nighttime and not too bright. Using the fm or am radio, or ipod the radio is awesome and only starts to slow down when using some apps. I recommend it to all my friends.

4. Dec 10, 2012 at 9:03 AM
    customgrind

customgrind [OP] Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    06 4DR 4X4 LB
    Pro Comp 6 Inch
    what about playing movies on the app radio? no slot, so copy a dvd to a computer, then install on iphone? not sure i tunes will dig thet eh?

To Top