1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Recall, NOT the Tacoma

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by BartStar, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Feb 25, 2011 at 1:07 AM
    BartStar

BartStar [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4X4 Double Cab, 6 speed man
    http://money.cnn.com/2011/02/24/autos/toyota_recall_floormat/index.htm

don't worry! The Tacoma is safe.
    maybe the Tacoma Owners have more brains, common sence and know what to do if their gas pedal sticks to the floor
    maybe its dumb drivers or really old people that drive the Rav 4 that panic and don't know what to do

I just can't believe a California Highway Policeman killed himself driving a Toyota with the gas pedal sticking I just can't believe he didn't have enough brains to shift it in nuetral or turn the key off? Did he kill himself to prove a point?
    I know I am a heartless jerk for saying that, but somebody has to stand up with the balls to say that!

2. Feb 25, 2011 at 1:31 AM
    BartStar

BartStar [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4X4 Double Cab, 6 speed man
    I included the reason WHY the 2nd gen Tacoma wasn't listed in the recall
    If you missed it, I explained that us 2nd gen Tacoma Owners are smarter and better drivers and we don't press on the accelerator pedal thinking its the brake pedal, and if we do that by mistake, we know enough to either shift it into nuetral or turn the ign key off.

3. Feb 25, 2011 at 1:47 AM
    StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    I can understand the parking lot crashes when this happens, as you have no time to react.. but that police officer one where they decided praying was a better idea than trying to figure this out... I just... wow.

This may make me sound like a dick, but the world is too safe, natural selection needs to weed out some of the dumber folks. :spy:

4. Feb 25, 2011 at 1:55 AM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    From what I understand they are finally closing this case. NHTSA said to Toyota finish recalling these 2.17 mil vehicles and we will put this whole thing to rest.

5. Feb 25, 2011 at 2:01 AM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.

From what I recall, he tried shutting the vehicle off. He didnt know that you had to hold the button down for a certain amount of time. I am not sure if he couldnt thrown into nuetral or not. If the vehicle under power would let him.

Your right, he could have thrown it into a barrier to slow the crash, couple of choices he had. Why he decided to exit the highway....not sure.

Im not sure if the full story ever came out on this or not.

6. Feb 25, 2011 at 3:06 AM
    AeroCooper

AeroCooper Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Access Cab Off Road
    Remote start, tailgate inserts, nifty key fob case, Husky X-Act floor liners, AVS vent shades, bed mat, MX4 Tonneau cover, Tyger step rails
    :cookiemonster:

7. Feb 25, 2011 at 4:15 AM
    StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    If it is the one I am thinking of he was on a cell phone call with the police, and they were approaching an intersection, kids in the back and everything.. it was pretty sad.

Yea, it was a push button, I think the wheels were red hot from the brakes being held down.

8. Feb 25, 2011 at 4:28 AM
    mat

mat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 prerunner sr5
    elite offroad front bumper, tool box, rustoleum bed liner, fog lights, alpine head unit, homemade bed extender
    the thing i dont understand about it, is if he was on the highway (unless he was in heavy traffic) you can be goin pretty fast and still be able to steer. Also im pretty sure that top gear showed that the brakes on cars are more powerful than the engine

9. Feb 25, 2011 at 5:09 AM
    xJuice

xJuice My spoon is too Big!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra MGM
    TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar, TRD Pro LED Headlights, Undercover SE, Rear diff. Relocate, console organizer, debadged, color matched handles, mirror caps, and grill
    1st gen isn't included either. Should we put it there too? Are they not as smart as 2nd gens? How about a ford focus forum? They're not included...

10. Feb 25, 2011 at 5:41 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    OP: You have got to be the most common offender of posting things in 2nd gen that have nothing to do with 2nd gens....

11. Feb 25, 2011 at 8:31 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    It's gone now...

12. Feb 25, 2011 at 8:35 AM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    The 2nd Gen Tacoma was already covered in this recall months ago. The will trim your gas pedal and "remove" your floor mats.

13. Feb 25, 2011 at 9:57 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Yup , old news

14. Feb 25, 2011 at 10:18 AM
    burtonboards32

burtonboards32 Well-Known Member

Member:

not at all what they did with mine. the dealer reprogrammed the computer so any time the brake pedal is pushed, whether your gas pedal is to the floor or not, the accelerator is immediately superseded by the brake pedal.

15. Feb 25, 2011 at 10:23 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    That is the brake override sotware that is uploaded to the ECU , generally in conjunction with the pedal trim . Maybe you didn't notice your pedal has been docked a 1/2" ?

16. Feb 25, 2011 at 10:47 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    That happened in Santee... just east of San Diego... it is where a freeway ends (Hwy. 125) onto Mission Gorge Rd.... It is a long downhill that ends at a signal where you turn left or right. Straight ahead is a barrier, and beyond is a creekbed full of vegetation.

The family was in a LOANER LEXUS from a local Lexus dealer. The previous user of that loaner car COMPLAINED about the gas pedal sticking!!! They did nothing before re-loaning out the Lexus (with the extra floor mat on the driver's side).

IMO, It was entirely that Lexus dealer's fault for all this stuff that has cost Toyota millions... maybe more. The off duty patrolman wasn't familiar enough in the loaner car to figure out how to kill the ignition it seems... He is on a cell phone describing the events right up to when the phone went silent. VERY SAD.

17. Feb 25, 2011 at 11:06 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    He paniced big time... but a CHP officer and his family in the car... even the emergency brake could have helped... but I sure wouldn't want to be in his place to try and out think his actions before the crash. Let me be clear, what I posted above is from what was told on the news here in San Diego, the first days after the accident... You don't hear that whole story anymore... It went from a Lexus dealer's liablity to the entire Toyota Motor Company's fault in just days... with a bunch of copycat sudden excelleration cases (all bogus) heading up the news.

18. Feb 25, 2011 at 11:07 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    x2 on the neutral.

Products Discussed in

To Top