1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Rims and Tires - Advice?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by JavaZombie, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Aug 23, 2016 at 12:11 PM
    JavaZombie

JavaZombie [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma Double Cab 4WD
    Fall 2015: Loads of Tear Down, Rust Removal General Spring Heavy Duty Leaf Springs ICON Add A Leaf Bilstein Height Adjustable w/Eibach Springs 3" 620's Bilstein Rear Shocks Differential Stud Eliminator Kit Energy Suspension Poly Bushings (all the way around) Relocation of Differential Breather Installation of Heated Seats (driver/passenger) Differential Service Braided Stainless Steel Brake Line Hoses Replaced headlights and taillights Replaced original weatherstripping SUMMER 2016: New Paint.. (color change), including the A.R.E topper Line X the truck bed 1" Drop Spacer Exhaust Hanger extension Brake Positioning Valve extension Installation of new Digital Media Player & 4 new door speakers Installation of the Bushwacker Fender Flares (Cut Outs - Already painted to match the truck) New Rims and Tires *FUTURE PLANS* Weld the Frame Reinforcement Plates & Gussets UBolt Flip Rock Sliders HD Front/Rear Bumpers Other Armor Rigid Industries A-Series Rock Lights Rigid Industries Light Bar, Fog Lights, Back Up Lights Interior revamp
    Me too... I keep coming back to the BEAST... They don't come in a 16" unfortunately. So, to go with the BEAST, I'm going to have to move up to a 17".... UGH..

2. Aug 23, 2016 at 12:13 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
  3. Aug 23, 2016 at 1:20 PM
    Sicyota04

Sicyota04 Slowly but surely.

Member:
    First Name:
    Morgan
    California
    Vehicle:
    04 DC 4x4
    That's why I got these. I wanted Fuel rims too but they only came in 17's and I didn't want to go above 16" rims. So these are 16x8's w/ 4.5" of BS. Method Double Standards w/ the machined lip. I put these tires on these rims!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    JavaZombie[OP] and DustStorm4x4 like this.
  4. Aug 23, 2016 at 5:36 PM
    cruiserguy

cruiserguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Elijah
    SLC
    Vehicle:
    2000 ext cab, 2.7L, auto, 4x4
    That's a nice looking 80 series Cruiser.

Back on track for OP, with that paint you have on the taco, I like the flat black wheels you've presented here. As well as the wheels 98tacoma has posted. I'll correct myself, the matte black. I think those matte black wheels compliment that sweet color choice you picked for paint. Just my 2 cents.

JavaZombie[OP] likes this.
  5. Aug 23, 2016 at 6:42 PM
    carofchoice

carofchoice Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Newton, IL
    Vehicle:
    2003 DC 4X4 TRD, 2012 X-Runner
    Was also interested in the Fuel Beasts till I noticed that they only had 17" and up. DISSAPOINTED since I have a brand new set of Goodyear Duratracs 265/75/16's sitting in the shed. Soooooo I did some soul searching and finally decided to get the SCS F5's with 3.5 BS. Shot Vin at SCS a pm and got on the waiting list.

5 min later I decided to go with the Ray10's from SCS, then I found out they weren't going to be in stock till late OCT. Sooooo I was back on the list for the F5's.

30 min later I PM'ed Vin back and got on the list for the Ray10's. This is where I stand today.........Waiting................ till Oct.

My 2003 Double cab is black with currently black wheels on it that came with the truck when I bought it Jan 16. As for the Ray10's I'm waiting on, I'm going with the dark bronze with the black ring with black bolts.

Hope the search for new shoes goes well and love the color of the truck!

6. Aug 23, 2016 at 8:44 PM
    ZiaTaco

ZiaTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    04' SR5 TRD Off Road Double Cab
    I really like the SCS Ray10s. My next choice would be the Method NVs. You might want to look at those.

Rather than start a new topic, I am interested in putting 17 inch wheels on mine as well. Will they fit the stock suspension and will gas mileage take a hit?

JavaZombie[OP] and DustStorm4x4 like this.
  7. Aug 23, 2016 at 9:01 PM
    BenJammn5

BenJammn5 RN

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD-Off Road PreRunner
    TRD cat-back with Spintech prostreet muffler, AFE Pro dry S intake, 16" SCS F-5, 3.5 BS, 305/70 GT Radial MT, King extended travel front/rear, 2" add-a-leaf, Maxtrack Spindles, Sway bar delete, DSM UCA, All Pro IFS skid, Cab mount chop, bed cab locks, Black badges, cali raised amber LED fogs, 6K FX-R Morimoto projectors with 55watt ballast, fog mod, cheap rear dust lamp from autozone, Hellas 500 behind grill, Color match Satoshi Grill, Hood scoop, rear bumper by BTF, color matched Glassworks bed caps, Wet Okole seat covers
    SCS also has a feature many of the cheaper wheel companies cannot or do not offer: hub centric.

Fuel, American racing, method, etc are lug centric meaning the weight of the rim is resting on the lugs. This strains the lugs and has potential for failure (mine failed, loose wheel on the highway was scary). Many will argue this point, and most have success with lug centric, but hub wheels eliminate the threat and fit better.

The less back spacing the further the rim stick past the tire. Google search an image "wheel back space." Note that the less back space the more strain on the wheel bearing. If you go with aftermarket UCA's you'll want 4.5" back space as previously mentioned otherwise the UCA will contact the rim.

Go with whatever major tire brand you want, but I cast a vote for all terrain. You won't need MT unless you actually forge through muddy trails, and since you mentioned long road trips AT has better: braking, handling, acceleration on pavement. Go 265 with no lift, with at least 2" lift go 285. Biggest word of advice, RESEARCH all you don't know.

tims007, 68dave and JavaZombie[OP] like this.
  8. Aug 24, 2016 at 4:29 AM
    JavaZombie

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Fall 2015: Loads of Tear Down, Rust Removal General Spring Heavy Duty Leaf Springs ICON Add A Leaf Bilstein Height Adjustable w/Eibach Springs 3" 620's Bilstein Rear Shocks Differential Stud Eliminator Kit Energy Suspension Poly Bushings (all the way around) Relocation of Differential Breather Installation of Heated Seats (driver/passenger) Differential Service Braided Stainless Steel Brake Line Hoses Replaced headlights and taillights Replaced original weatherstripping SUMMER 2016: New Paint.. (color change), including the A.R.E topper Line X the truck bed 1" Drop Spacer Exhaust Hanger extension Brake Positioning Valve extension Installation of new Digital Media Player & 4 new door speakers Installation of the Bushwacker Fender Flares (Cut Outs - Already painted to match the truck) New Rims and Tires *FUTURE PLANS* Weld the Frame Reinforcement Plates & Gussets UBolt Flip Rock Sliders HD Front/Rear Bumpers Other Armor Rigid Industries A-Series Rock Lights Rigid Industries Light Bar, Fog Lights, Back Up Lights Interior revamp

Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to post this. Your experience is greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:

9. Aug 24, 2016 at 6:49 AM
    JavaZombie

Member:
    Vehicle:
  10. Aug 24, 2016 at 6:50 AM
    JavaZombie

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Liking those!! Thank you!!

Sicyota04[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Aug 29, 2016 at 6:55 AM
    ZiaTaco

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    That wheel choice will look great on your truck! Are you going 16s or 17s? Stock suspension?

12. Aug 29, 2016 at 6:59 AM
    carofchoice

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Newton, IL
    Vehicle:

Thanks! Going with 16's and currently have stock suspension but already purchased the full OME kit with AllPro UCA's. Just waiting on my frame swap which should be within a couple weeks.

13. Aug 29, 2016 at 7:02 AM
    ZiaTaco

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Nice,
    Nice, I'm looking to add SCS Ray10s in matte jet black to my Mystic Gold 04. Doing 16x8s as well. I'm on stock suspension though. Hopefully, I don't have any issues until I add an OME kit next spring.

14. Aug 29, 2016 at 7:50 AM
    carofchoice

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Newton, IL
    Vehicle:
    Will look good man. Make sure to post up some pics when u get them.

ZiaTaco likes this.
  15. Aug 29, 2016 at 8:38 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    This should help with the confusion:

16. Sep 2, 2016 at 9:30 AM
    JavaZombie

Member:
    Vehicle:
    F5.jpg
    OPINIONS WANTED: Which color in this 17" rim (SCS F5) do you feel would look BEST with the color of this truck?
    Matte Black or Matte Gunmetal ???
    14139303_1252039724829017_1721399816_o.jpg 14151967_1252039571495699_1059685658_o.jpg

17. Sep 2, 2016 at 10:00 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Gunmetal

18. Sep 2, 2016 at 10:02 AM
    JavaZombie

Member:
    Vehicle:
    THANK YOU for chiming in! HUGELY appreciated! :thumbsup:

98tacoma27[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Sep 2, 2016 at 10:14 AM
    carofchoice

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Newton, IL
    Vehicle:
    just got some Matte Gunmetal ones (not mounted yet) for a 2015 MGM. If you need pics of actual rim in sunlight, shade or whatever I can do that so you can see how the light affects color a little.

20. Sep 2, 2016 at 10:18 AM
    JavaZombie

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yes,that would REALLY be helpful! Thank you! With the color of this truck (the light also affects it's color), it's so hard to distinguish when I can't really see the actual color of the rims in the different lighting... I'll anxiously await your photos! :thumbsup:

Products Discussed in

To Top