1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Safety Check!

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by iRep8OH8, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Oct 28, 2013 at 10:22 PM
    deog

deog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    snicklefritz
    Signal Hill
    Vehicle:
    work in progress
    gucci interior and chandelier.
    For us mainlanders, what is recon ? In the safety inspection do they look for modded cars or just stuff like turn signals, horn, no cracks i windshield, seat belts etc. is there a smog check in Hawaii ?
    aloha

2. Oct 28, 2013 at 10:35 PM
    adio

adio Well-Known Member

Member:
    HI
    Vehicle:
    2015 INFERNO TRD PRO
    Bought, not built:-P
    recon=reconstruction

Lift, front and rear all pro bumpers etc.

I don't think we do smog testing. I'm pretty sure that's what the annual safety check is for.

3. Oct 28, 2013 at 10:53 PM
    Kala

Kala Well-Known Member

Member:
    BigIsland
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    The only type of smog check that is performed in Hawaii is when the inspector checks your gauges and observes a check engine light or a warning light of some sort pertaining to it. Inspecting the exhaust for leaks or disconnected items is also part of the inspection too, but rarely done. The inspections itself is suppose to be more complex, and agreeing with one of the testifiers, it would take an hours worth of work to inspect the vehicle, which most shops charge $80+ an hour for shop time. Most safety inspections take 15 minutes at the minimum.

Im one of those guys who like the r/c truck look and have done it in the past. To me, function is over form. Id rather just get to where im going and doing it with the least breakage. Sure, one day ima be beach cruising with my 44s, but for my tacoma I really wanna keep it 35s/37s but keep a low center of gravity. If I ever straight fronted my taco I would never keep it 6 lug and it would be full width. At that point even then it would be hard to keep it low key. We live in a place where we shouldnt need to worry so much. Most people I know worry about the law, cause when that shit adds up it puts you into debt and you have little options that will make your mind go crazy and make you do things you normally wouldnt do.

A few years ago, we had a conversation about modified vehicles and if reconevery came to this island. If bumper height ever became a problem, we could overweigh the vehicle over the 10k gvw, pay a higher registration price, and not worry about safety checks. I think a special use permit could also be done if you just wanted to bring your truck out for parades, but im not sure.
    I know this isnt gonna stop me from running what I want, its just gonna make me go broke!

4. Oct 30, 2013 at 10:19 AM
    StaticTaco

StaticTaco 2 is 1, 1 is none.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 4WD
    Think you can get an overall measurement of the new sticker? I like make a plate for it and a recon sticker. Thanks!

To Top