1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Safety Check!

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by iRep8OH8, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Oct 28, 2013 at 1:58 AM
    robssol

robssol @$%#TW!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, ACLB
    Fog lights mod, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, Plasti-dip rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED hood lights by tacodane, Rampage 22" LED light bar, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod.
    Not a fan of government interference such as safety inspections, but this afternoon as I was sitting at the drive through there was a lifted (4"-5") Chevy in front of me, tiny, bald tires underneath it. He had to shut it down to place his order (loud diesel). When it idled you could taste the diesel in the air. When he got it going it pulled a black cloud behind it. It's guys like this that cause inspection laws.
    Thanks Nimrods!

2. Oct 28, 2013 at 2:35 AM
    808DAKINE

808DAKINE Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kai
    Lahaina, Hawai'i
    Vehicle:
    01 Taco
    Cold air, Sounds, lift, lights, exhaust and a canoe!

From what I've read, recon is really only enforced on Oahu. I could be wrong though.

3. Oct 28, 2013 at 3:31 AM
    TRDGRL

TRDGRL My Toys.....

Member:
    First Name:
    TRDGRL
    RainForestVille, Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '11 BLK Tacoma PreRunner TRD SR5 Access Cab
    See Signature.....
    True:p

4. Oct 28, 2013 at 10:50 AM
    Ahshiet

Ahshiet Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maui,Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    09 MG Sport DC 4x4
    Set #1 16x10 ion alloy wheel 31x12.5 super swampers Set#2 17x9 KMC Diesel black 305/65/17 M/T ATZ baja Set#3 TRD offroad wheels painted wrinkle black with H/T tire 275/70/16 Set#4 Weld racing 16x12 Typhoon with 305/70/16 BF KO tires Set#5 Weld racing 16.5x12 36x16 fun country Set#6 TRD rugged edition wheels 305/75/16 baja claws Set#7 16x10 procomp steel "beadlooks" 33x12.50 TSL Boggers Spider track spacers in front Wet Okole black seat covers fronts with pockets,back and armrest HIDs high Lexus projector fogs h11 hid 3500k Toyota bed mat black trd exhaust Fujita intake black Xrunner badges carbon fiber door sills Alpine double din 2 8" bazookas (modded) 2 Alpine type-r 8's in tubes Rockford fosgate 1500w silverstar blinker bulbs front and back Led lic plate bulbs Led dome light Led map lights Black eBay headlights VHT night shade tails and 3rd brake light Custom made rear fog lights(next to 3rd brake light) Sticker bombed bed walls and pass. A-pill
    Yeah Maui don't have recon but I'm sure we just a few years behind Oahu like others and I have said before there should be an "insured" sticker that the insurance company has to send to you with your proof and the state can charge them for the stickers not recon if anything they should sit down and really think of a good system that doesn't pin point the people who enjoy to drive what they worked hard for come on now a brand new hybrid could be an unsafe car just depends who's driving it

5. Oct 28, 2013 at 10:54 AM
    CaptQuinn

CaptQuinn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Quinn
    Alaska to Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '13 Sprucie Sport
    He wasn't being an asshole, he was being humorous. It was funny, to many of us. If it wasn't funny to you, well, that sucks.

If I remember correctly, to sign up for this forum you must aggree to not be a jerkoff (obviously that's not verbatim). Most of us adhere to that policy and when we get off on the weeds we get called out for it. So this is me, calling you out. Knock it off, there is no need to act like that here.

Thanks

6. Oct 28, 2013 at 10:22 PM
    deog

deog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    snicklefritz
    Signal Hill
    Vehicle:
    work in progress
    gucci interior and chandelier.
    For us mainlanders, what is recon ? In the safety inspection do they look for modded cars or just stuff like turn signals, horn, no cracks i windshield, seat belts etc. is there a smog check in Hawaii ?
    aloha

7. Oct 28, 2013 at 10:35 PM
    adio

adio Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda

Member:
    EWA BEACH, HI
    Vehicle:
    2015 INFERNO TRD PRO
    Bought, not built:-P
    recon=reconstruction

Lift, front and rear all pro bumpers etc.

I don't think we do smog testing. I'm pretty sure that's what the annual safety check is for.

8. Oct 28, 2013 at 10:53 PM
    Kala

Kala Well-Known Member

Member:
    BigIsland
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    The only type of smog check that is performed in Hawaii is when the inspector checks your gauges and observes a check engine light or a warning light of some sort pertaining to it. Inspecting the exhaust for leaks or disconnected items is also part of the inspection too, but rarely done. The inspections itself is suppose to be more complex, and agreeing with one of the testifiers, it would take an hours worth of work to inspect the vehicle, which most shops charge $80+ an hour for shop time. Most safety inspections take 15 minutes at the minimum.

Im one of those guys who like the r/c truck look and have done it in the past. To me, function is over form. Id rather just get to where im going and doing it with the least breakage. Sure, one day ima be beach cruising with my 44s, but for my tacoma I really wanna keep it 35s/37s but keep a low center of gravity. If I ever straight fronted my taco I would never keep it 6 lug and it would be full width. At that point even then it would be hard to keep it low key. We live in a place where we shouldnt need to worry so much. Most people I know worry about the law, cause when that shit adds up it puts you into debt and you have little options that will make your mind go crazy and make you do things you normally wouldnt do.

A few years ago, we had a conversation about modified vehicles and if reconevery came to this island. If bumper height ever became a problem, we could overweigh the vehicle over the 10k gvw, pay a higher registration price, and not worry about safety checks. I think a special use permit could also be done if you just wanted to bring your truck out for parades, but im not sure.
    I know this isnt gonna stop me from running what I want, its just gonna make me go broke!

9. Oct 30, 2013 at 10:19 AM
    StaticTaco

StaticTaco 2 is 1, 1 is none.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    08PR-OR
    front: blistein 5100s @ 2.5", total chaos ucas • rear: blistein 5100s, 1" block • misc: lighting, stickers
    Think you can get an overall measurement of the new sticker? I like make a plate for it and a recon sticker. Thanks!

To Top