1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New sliders - Powder coat? Line X/rhino liner? cheap paint?

Discussion in 'Armor' started by odn, May 26, 2015.

1. May 26, 2015 at 6:50 PM
    odn

odn [OP] Member

Member:
    destin
    Vehicle:
    4x4 blk
    So I just got in the all pro apex sliders. They wouldn't ship them powder coated so now i'm left with these options.

What are the pros/cons of each? I'm leaning towards line x or rhino liner. why not apply something that is designed to get beat up, which it will, and also something I can touch up easier. Line x or rhino liner, bam. can anyone lend some experience with this?

Also FYI, I took it to a guy who says he can sand blast and powder coat for $400 bucks. that's almost as expensive as the sliders. crazy.

2. May 26, 2015 at 6:51 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    Just rattle can them....... They will just get phucked up anyhow.

agunday21 and taco06 like this.
  3. Jun 3, 2015 at 7:47 PM
    Box Rocket

Box Rocket Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    3xLocked, lifted, well used
    Line-ex on sliders is a horrible idea IMO. Every set of bed-lined sliders I've ever seen that are on trucks that actually get used have big chunks of bed-liner peeling off in big strips. When you drag them over rocks it's going to get scraped off and it comes off in big strips and your sliders look like they have leprosy. Now if you're truck is a mall-crawler, then go for it.

Sliders aren't worth powder coating IMO either. It's too expensive to touch up and it's going to get scraped off just like anything else. Most effective and easiest thing to maintain is just plain old rattle can paint.

YotaGirl93 and RacecarGuy like this.
  4. Jun 4, 2015 at 8:16 PM
    TIPICOTACO

TIPICOTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    nw nj
    Vehicle:
    '01 DC 4X4 TRD "RAD BARON"
    Some lift, some armor, some scratches..
    You (and more importantly, your girl) will scratch the hell out of the back of your legs if you rhino-line them.. It will peel off like BoxRocket said, and is more expensive than rattle can paint.

Definitely go with the spray paint of your choice, just do a proper prep job and it should hold up surprisingly well

5. Jun 4, 2015 at 8:31 PM
    Hunter.V.White

Hunter.V.White Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 4WD TRD-Off Road
    Pelfreybilt Steel Armor, Famous Fabrication Sliders, OME 3" Lift, 886x coils, Dakar Leaf Packs, TC UCA's, Fuel D551 Wheels, 285/70/R17 Toyo Tech RTs, Warn Zeon 10s Winch, Rigid Industries 20" E2 Flood, RI 20" SR Spot/flood, RI Duallys, SwitchPro SP8100, Uniden Bearcat 680 CB Radio.
    I Line-X'd mine over two years ago and they still look great. I use my truck regularly off-road, and I live on a gravel road in Alaska. I don't rock crawl with my truck, but I've dragged them across rocks, trees, and dirt with zero damage so far. The Line-X is probably tougher than people give it credit for. Mine is textured, but not sand paper. I don't scratch my legs getting in or out.

My advice: if you're using your truck for off-road travel or light-moderate trail riding, get them Line-X'd. The professional application will hold up better than rattle can bedliner, and they offer free touch ups for life. Nothing will last longer on your truck.

If you absolutely plan to drag them across diamonds, then go with spray paint. I assume that few people actually do stuff in their trucks that make this application the best possible choice.

Check my build for pictures and a link to my review.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    PoweredBySoy likes this.
  6. Sep 16, 2015 at 9:43 PM
    machineman89

machineman89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    San Leandro
    Vehicle:
    overlanding limo in progress :-P
    Weather tech floor mats, fog light any time mod, derped front embelem, Pelfretbilt 3 hoop plate bumper, 10k warn xeon winch-s some leds, pelfreybilt roof rack, scs stealth series rims, wrangler authority tires, BAMF 96" bolt on sliders, BAMF dif skid, some dirt....
    i was jus gonna use the roll on thick bed liner underneath on mine in the hidden spots and rattle can the rest where you see the sliders more and spots where they are gonna take more abuse... touching up should jus be the work of a rattle can down the road, ...curous how this will turn out. get my sliders in about 2 weeks roughly

7. Dec 19, 2015 at 6:32 PM
    1Shifter

1Shifter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Outta the black and into the blue
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    Same as everybody else...
    I'm new to all of this and I don't off road, unless you consider the gravel and farm roads I drive on occasionally off road, but would Monstaliner be a good option? Seems to be cheaper than spray on bedliner and possibly more durable than rattlecan paint. Just curious...

8. Jan 18, 2016 at 9:45 PM
    Rusty15Tacoma

Rusty15Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rusty
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM TRD Offroad
    Bilstein 5100 w/ OME 886, Built Right UCA's, Dirt King LCA's, 5125 2"-2.5" lift rear shocks, Alcan HD 8pack rear, Level 8 Guardian 16" wheels, blacked out badges, 285/75R16 Hercules Trail Digger, 20% tint, BHLM Retrofit.
    Check out Monstaliner. It's tintable for your choice of color, UV resistant, and not as aggressive as the others. Really popular in the Jeep world

9. Jan 17, 2017 at 1:32 PM
    Caligula

Caligula Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Ext. Cab Prerunner 2.7L
    How long does Monsterliner or Hurculiner last in the can once you open it? Im planning to do my bed, and would liek to save the remainder of the stuff to do sliders at some point.

10. Jan 22, 2017 at 6:00 PM
    8054x4

8054x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    south 805
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport
    Snugtop Rebel topper Goodyear Duratracs
    I have recently used POR15 on my sliders, I've only had them on the truck for a few weeks but so far so good. This stuff is supposed to be incredibly tough. The video that sold me was this one:https://youtu.be/d4L0N3-OTcI

1:02 ^ clanking two treated steel pipes together with no chipping= tough shit.

I paint-brushed it on with 2 coats after I did the other prep steps (degrease/ metal prep) waited 24 hours to cure in the garage and welded them on with no issues. It is a bit time consuming to do the job right. But worth it if you don't have to touch it up all the time. I'm not the best painter by far but it came out pretty good I think.
    IMG_0546.jpg IMG_0551.jpg

1Shifter and REDdawn6 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top