1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New SnugTop and a Camping Platform Build (Access Cab)

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Sport2018, Apr 20, 2018.

1. May 6, 2018 at 5:59 PM
    Sport2018

Sport2018 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma Sport v6 4x4 Access Cab - 6 Speed Manual
    Fab Four rear bumper, $160 Chinese Grill (Black), TRD Skid Plate, 265/70/17 BF KO2 C's
    My shakedown cruise was a complete success! Stayed out two nights, and everything worked perfectly. Praise GOD!

The ARB awning is just the coolest thing, and though i had help deploying it i am confident i can do it myself, it's very clever and well thought out. It also served part of its intended purpose of housing the dogs perfectly. The first night they slept with me inside the SnugTop and it was a total nightmare, and from the expression of my males face none of us were happy. So the second night they slept in ARB room with a low of 40 degrees on top a packing blanket and an old surplus army issue wool blanket. Well they survived!
    I am very pleased with the purchase, AND, 4WheelParts offered, and i bought, an "if anything goes wrong we'll replace it" 5 year warranty (even if wind destroys it he said) for 50 bucks. With local storefronts that means if anything goes wrong i don't have to mail it.

But the most impressive and amazing thing that has changed everything for me is the RoadShower. Having pressurized water you will quickly find out is just so dammed useful! Now time will tell about construction, and i already had one problem, but i have to give a very high recommendation to RoadShower if you're able to equip something like that. From washing off your toothbrush and washing off silverware and coffee mug, to filling up my dogs water bowl and washing mud off boots, it made life easy. I just filled it up with the house hose before i left and it stayed pressurized for 3 days use, at least.
    Another thing worth mentioning about RoadShower is when i used their 2 female adapter and attached my hose to its hose to fill it, as the manual stated you could, it's hose connector connected to the on/off valve of the RS blew apart. It was Sunday and i emailed them about the problem and telling them it may have set me back, a woman responded within 10 min asking what i needed and that it will be mailed first thing Monday. Very impressive. I would never EXPECT a response on a Sunday. So A++ for costumer service. And i recommend you don't fill it through its hose, just attach the double female connector to it's on/off valve.

At one point for a short time i reached 85mph and everything on top took the speed and i wouldn't even know it was there ( it was just a short time and wouldn't recommend it).

bmgreene - Very nice man, and that i believe is the way i will do it if i build another one. Especially if the 5/8ths fit standing between the bedliner grooves. The 5/8ths, glue and a nailgun should make things lighter and will open up more space. 5/8ths can be heavy though when you also use it to top the platform. Actually the reason I didnt leave large open spaces is because i wanted to use the thinnest plywood i could get for the top. The 'slider' i had to double up because that just over a foot gap caused too much flex.
    A swingbox?, damn that sounds awesome make sure to post a pic of that. And cool table man, what's it made of? ...because if that thing is made of some dense wood wow i bet thats heavy!
    Looks really good bmgreene, and if you don't mind post more pics here i'd like to see it in the truck when you get it in there, and of course the final product.

Dor - You're welcome! :) Unfortunately because i did not base my build on any plan, i didnt really draw it out so any measurements i took were on notes that i threw away. I have a pic with a tapemeasure spread out that ill upload which could be used to get an idea. Also don't forget the difference in height of 2x4's, if u use them in the slots, and the wheel wells is 5/8ths so you will not build to be flush with the wheel wells, if you do it that way. That's really the only significant thing i remember. If you have a specific question, without my having to break out a tape :), i'll do my best to answer so don't hesitate to ask.

IMG_20180505_091157884.jpg 5-18 177.jpg 5-18 159.jpg 5-18 166.jpg 5-18 173.jpg 5-18 184.jpg 5-18 188.jpg 5-18 210.jpg

....and don't forget to seal your tailgate from dust.

5-18 209.jpg

daohaus likes this.
  2. May 6, 2018 at 6:13 PM
    Dor

Dor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    '18 MB ACLB TRD-OR
    Hey, thanks! Glad to hear the setup worked out.

Those pics help a great deal. I've been thinking about the best way to get the maximum amount of storage while still having a place to sleep that doesn't sacrifice too much headroom - I like your style.

Sport2018[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  3. May 6, 2018 at 6:31 PM
    bmgreene

bmgreene Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    Alcan Leaf Packs, OME884 Coils, 5100 shocks, U.S. Offroad Winch Mount w/Winch, Trail Gear Rear H/C Bumper, Prinsu Cabrack, DIY custom in-bed storage/sleeping deck, Sway bar delete, hidden "snorkel" intake mod, In-dash CB, Bestop Supertop, Undercover Swingbox, hood lifters, assorted lights and front spotting camera
    I'm using 1/2 sanded ply for the base and platform, but the vertical structure is all 3/4 hardwood ply glued and pocket jointed, I'm also going to add some dowels for a bit of extra strength. 1x10 could be ripped down if you want solid wood, but since that thickness can cup when it's weathered, I went with ply for stability.

I've got no idea if the verticals fit in the grooves of the bed since this is just the lower structure which I'm going to partially finish with spar urethane and attach some bracing hardware before adding the deck to the top, which I will then also urethane and cover with a cheap outdoor rug from HD.

I'll post more pics as I make progress on the build.

4. May 18, 2018 at 3:51 PM
    bmgreene

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    Alcan Leaf Packs, OME884 Coils, 5100 shocks, U.S. Offroad Winch Mount w/Winch, Trail Gear Rear H/C Bumper, Prinsu Cabrack, DIY custom in-bed storage/sleeping deck, Sway bar delete, hidden "snorkel" intake mod, In-dash CB, Bestop Supertop, Undercover Swingbox, hood lifters, assorted lights and front spotting camera
    All these layers of finish took a long time (2 coats of sealer and 2 coats of urethane on the inside), I'll get some pics with the box/drawer in "stowed" location before I put the upper deck on this weekend (then it's 3 coats for the spar urethane on the outer faces of the carcase).

On any project like this, I somehow always manage to forget about the time for the finish and the cost of the hardware in my planning....

5. May 20, 2018 at 10:49 AM
    Dor

Dor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    '18 MB ACLB TRD-OR
    How are you liking the setup so far? I'm thinking of going a little wider than you did on the sleeping cutout - 30 or 32 inches instead of ~20. Less room for storage that way, which is a tradeoff.

6. May 21, 2018 at 3:22 PM
    bmgreene

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR

Why not just sleep on top? Isn't that part of the point of making it all a flat surface? No need to protect your back from the ridges in the bed surface that way, just use a camping mat and a sleeping bag/bedroll, and it keeps all of the space underneath usable for full-time storage. Being down in a box like that just seems too much like a coffin to me.

crymes likes this.
  7. May 21, 2018 at 3:37 PM
    Dor

Dor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    '18 MB ACLB TRD-OR
    A couple of reasons:

1) I've read a number of accounts of people who have sleeping platforms that felt like sleeping on top (with less headroom) was like being in a coffin. This is probably a 'YMMV' thing.

2) Not being able to sit up in the back doesn't make me excited.

I have a bedrug in the back, so the ridges shouldn't be a problem.

bmgreene[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. May 21, 2018 at 4:46 PM
    Hobbs

Hobbs Anti-Lander from way back…

Member:
    Yep…
    Vehicle:
    Rock Bangen', Desert Tamin', Gold Findin' Machine!
    @Sport2018 I like your ARB awning set-up! Did it come with the 90 degree brackets you are using? And it sounds like you sourced your own u-bolts. Your Yakima CoreBars seem very similar to my Yakima AeroBars.

EDIT: Are the screen walls built to be used with the awning?

9. May 23, 2018 at 3:38 PM
    Sport2018

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    Fab Four rear bumper, $160 Chinese Grill (Black), TRD Skid Plate, 265/70/17 BF KO2 C's
    Hey guys sorry but i been out breakin this thing in!

bmgreene - It sounds like you're doing it right, which is good. But that is exactly why i did things like a straight up thick 'ol drawer because I personally didn't want to get 'bogged' down on any one thing. I had ideas written down i was excited about 2-3 steps ahead, and was a little impatient to get to it. Not so much to sacrifice quality though, nothing will be rattling apart on this platform! The great thing about this build was it was diverse and short enough to keep me 110% interested and enthusiastic. Keep it up though and do it right, i am just personally impatient. But have no regrets either so far. Look forward to pics.

Dor - Yeah from personal experience, and im a skinny guy (6'1 170), the bay is a real tight fit especially considering i normally sleep on my side or stomach. This is my only real issue, but i don't know how bad yet though. I had originally intended on sleeping with the slider up having more room, as bmgreene suggested, with the ability to sleep diagonal and to stretch out. What i found was the headroom is especially important for turning around, opening and closing the tailgate, and changing clothes. I'm pretty agile and it's still cramped, but certainly better. A bigger guy would need more room and less storage or accept a few more steps and effort to do anything inside there. Cramped comes with the territory though unless you have a big camper or pull a trailer, which limits your mobility and increases your profile obviously. The ARB room gives me space and privacy when i need it, so i'm fine until i try to sleep. But i have a few options there, and can adjust according to the weather, so we'll see if i can live with this for a week straight.

I have been thinking about if i could have gotten away with widening the bay and still have sufficient storage large enough for the larger items, like colman 2 burner stove and tent poles. It would take some reconfiguration, and i'd lose the storage, one running the length of the bed, by the wheel wells that have been very very useful for specific things. I'm glad i have the option if after say a couple nights i want to sleep on my stomach, i can put the slider up. But sleep is important and once a space is made you cant change it, so maybe consider where else to put things to open a more comfortable sleeping area.
    But when i'm NOT trying to fall asleep the bay is perfect!! I have everything at my reach and is more comfortable than anything i have at home. I have great visibility and can sit up to remove my shoes or change out of dirty pants. Another thing is make sure you have a nice cushioned pad that goes on the tailgate for your knees, it must be permanently with the truck! Also keep in mind i have a REALLY nice memory foam cushion, i happened to get in a storage locker auction, that honestly makes it what it is to me. So consider that when i describe how comfortable i am in there, the 45's recline in back is key too.
    Something to consider is instead of a smaller drawer with storage behind maybe go with a drawer as big and as long as you can so that you can access everything in that space without crawling in and out. It's not a BIG deal really but i keep my dry food up towards the cab in that trapdoor storage and sometimes you forget something or want to put something back and it's grab the mat, put it in place, crawl on knees crouched, open trap door crouched, crawl on knees out and dismount. If you're older, or have bad knees, you wont want to do that.

Hi Hobbs, thank you! :)
    The brackets are ARB or Awning, i cant remember, "Universal Brackets". They can be bought on Amazon twice the price with free shipping or 4Wheel Parts for half the price but with shipping. Since i got my awning from 4Wheel i got the brackets too. I chose Amazon for the u bolts because i wanted them quick and got them in 2 days, that's why they are not ideal. They were titled as some kind of marine flat U bolt. Make sure you measure the width of your corebars and the thread on your U bolts come up high enough.
    The room for the awning is made specifically for the size of my awning, 2500x2500. It's 8' by 8' and 6' tall (aprox), and i absolutely love it! It takes, i would think, no more time to set it all up than a comparable sized ground tent, and can be done single handed efficiently after a few times to get it down. The room has a durable floor and folds in half, folds in half again then rolls up, tied and easily secured into travel bag with stakes and other misc. It is the newest version, there is an older "travel" something with windows and one door. this is a dramatic improvement and upgrade, from what i have herd as i never owned an awning before.

Since i have probably only a total of 5-6 NIGHTS out in the woods, and with the exception of sleeping arrangements, I have no issues at all so there really isnt much worth pointing out at this time. The real test will be hours away from home or civilization for 4-5 days. I want to be able to travel the states of the four corners, dispersed camp in as remote a places as i can, and only have to come to civilization for ice, food and water on extended trips. Thats my plan, so soon i'll be venturing further from home for a longer time, and will be writing down significant issues. And will probably share them here, with pics.

Obviously i have changed some things inside around, but still carry more than i need so i know what to trim later down the road. I want to be able to grab as little as possible, and have everything i really need already loaded. Not including the 5-7 gallons of tap water in the Road Shower i always have about 5 liters of water in the truck along with 3-4 days food, tools, air compressor, clothing w/socks and underwear, cold weather clothing, rain gear, 2 1-2 person tents (one cheap one nice), an axe, tarps and poles, ground stakes, a HUGE roll of para cord, solar panels, batteries, extra fuel, etc, etc, etc... I have found that every little space, no matter how small i made for storage, i have found a use for. The way i have everything configured now, I have a surplus of space for smaller items. The roof rack is a lifesaver as it takes all the large, awkward, 'hard' camping items, and 10 more gallons of filtered drinking water. That alone for me is why a rooftop tent couldn't work with my truck/configuration.

Here are some pics of the truck loaded up in travel mode. The first is a look into the larger bay and drawer as it's loaded up now. Under the containers in the bay is my Colman 2 burner stove. To the left in the first Mollee large fold down sac in the red bag is the Aeropress coffee maker... and it is amazing. Behind that is gas then backpacker cooking cups from large to smaller to taller all stacked into the largest and secure in the Mollee 200rnd SAW ammo pouch ( i am really loving the Mollee rail i set up). Then a few pics of camps on the Rim.

IMG_20180523_131607520.jpg

This is loaded and ready to go in back:

IMG_20180523_134908964.jpg

Except the ARB room, samsung pad and firearm most everything might stay here for the summer, it's not in my way. It's all easy to load and unload being packed into bags or packs if i want it gone.
    Easy to access are things for a quick explore or road clearance, in addition to a good waterproof jacket.

IMG_20180523_132654866_HDR.jpg

From bottom to top is: Sockets and cheap small tent, hard maps binoculars and tarp, 70watt solar panel rain boots medkit and better small tent, cold weather clothing and sunshade, then all my stakes, harnesses, cold weather coats, and cables for the dogs are in the black bag on top. Light rain gear to the right door and 4 diff kinds of gloves, waterpump and LED Mag flashlight (awesome) in the left door.

IMG_20180523_132713739_HDR.jpg

Adding only one propane tank, this is what goes on top, with room to spare, and mostly remains unloaded:

IMG_20180523_132737572.jpg

------------------------------ camp pics:

Near Pine

IMG_20180508_151532519_HDR.jpg

In the 'thick' of the Rim

IMG_20180514_154408588.jpg
    :) can't resist...
    IMG_20180514_163601456.jpg

Another spot, a more used spot during the weekends (the dried river bed next to the site had 3 shitbags in it. They took a crap in a bag, and tossed it into the woods... If you cant dig a hole you should just stay home, or pack it out in a thick glad trashbag, how hard is that ((Rant over))), and was only there because of the trailer. This is fully deployed, and decided to leave the trailer hooked up.

IMG_20180521_174718740.jpg

And this is leaving because they closed the Rim in anticipation of all the fire starting, trash leaving idiots that had plans to destroy the forest on Memorial Day. So no problem, it's unfortunate but i understand and support it. It's a good pic of fully loaded.

IMG_20180522_121805452.jpg

And one more i can't resist:
    IMG_20180515_091445410_HDR.jpg

10. May 23, 2018 at 4:09 PM
    upTOPOverland_Drew

upTOPOverland_Drew upTOP Overland Technical Design and Application

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR DCSB SUPER WHITE
    All the things...click the link in sig
  11. May 23, 2018 at 4:45 PM
    Dor

Dor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    '18 MB ACLB TRD-OR
    Thanks for the fantastic writeup man! Looks like you had a good time in some beautiful country, and it is helpful to see how the setup is working out.

Which tablet mount is that you're using in the front seat? Looks handy.

Sport2018[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  12. May 23, 2018 at 6:02 PM
    Sport2018

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    Very nice Doozy, real sharp. And those damn bolts in the bed, thankfully i only had to really deal with one and it took a little while too to realize what was happening. I didn't notice they can interfere until well into framing everything! What was good is the damage i do notching the wood will not be visible and the material allowed me to whack it with a mallet in place to get a mark. But good job man, it looks stout, good and put together well. You also have more space which is nice because an inch here and there can make a big difference im finding out.
    Also i believe my impatience is a flaw, but thankfully my old boss (ADD and! OCD), and the jobs themselves, taught me or forced me to at least not sacrifice whats important for the sake of speed. And since its only me looking at it really, most what came out looking good aesthetically was just a part of its functionality. Not that i don't appreciate or like good beautiful work, that's all we did, again it goes back to my patience. I defiantly did not want a cluttered look though, i do like things clean.. contemporary even, for the artsy fartsy. Looks sharp.
    I look forward to checking out your thread in detail!

Thanks Dor! :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F0IQTE8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm actually quite impressed. It can hold from small to large with two different adapters that hold your phone or tablet. Each of those are also adjustable. But most important is it has held up to everything short of rock crawling or total abuse at higher speeds. Every forest trail i have taken, some in 4low, this thing has held up so far.

And to head off any potential curiosity by anyone, i use the Gaia GPS with Forest Service maps, and others, downloaded onto a sim card in the tablet. The GPS has also never failed well out of cell signal range, but that could be more a samsung GPS thing i don't know.

upTOPOverland_Drew and Dor like this.
  13. May 23, 2018 at 9:09 PM
    bmgreene

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    Finally got some more incremental progress pics, all hardware on the drawer plus e-track and leg stowage installed in the "table". I'm just finishing the structure with sanding sealer and urethane (regular poly on the sheltered surfaces and spar urethane on the outer faces). The box amd drawer are finished with a slightly tinted deck sealer and 2-4 coats of poly heaviest on the table top.

The cradle for the propane tank is modular; bolted in with the eyebolts to tie down the tank with t-nuts on the supporting panels. When everything is done I'll be able to put it in two different spots (or make a second one and mount two).

The taper on the drawer is deliberate since I used casters on the back lower edge rather than slides, I'll be able to lift the front slightly within the housing to roll it in and out (also would be able to roll around independently if needed).

When the deck goes on, the front portion will be on a piano hinge to open for stowing propane up there and I'm working out some way to prop is at a 20-30 degree angle for keeping my head up while sleeping on it and the corner gap will be set up with take-apart hinges to allow for a full width/length deck to be possible for sleeping or hauling sheet material.

20180523_204136.jpg 20180523_202932.jpg 20180523_204223.jpg 20180523_204159.jpg

Sport2018[OP] likes this.
  14. May 24, 2018 at 7:08 AM
    Sport2018

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    Lookin really good bmgreene. I really like your propane tank holder. I used to carry mine in the bay up against the tailgate until i realized a good hard bump at a certain angle could send the tank into the back window. then i started thinking about it's a bomb really, a contained one, but in back with my dogs just the thought was enough to put it in the rack (i know, i know). But now i have to lift that sucker up next to my windows, and one lazy off day and smash!
    Those e-tracks are interesting too. I have never used them but look like fun to explore ideas with.
    Looks like you've planed things out well to accommodate your stuff. I did get lucky by having everything i want inside able to fit, for the most part. With good planning and clever ideas i believe there is always a way to make something work. Good job man, keep em commin.

15. May 24, 2018 at 9:25 AM
    bmgreene

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    Thanks, I realized after I glued it up that the configuration I put the tank holder into wasn't what I originally designed; the wedge pieces are closer together than I planned and make it trickier to put the eyebolts in and out. I did make 2 sets of cuts, so hopefully I'll remember to do the other one the way I had planed initially, and having it wider will make the bolts easier to work with.

Also, the angle that having the tank in place would force the upper end of the deck to sit at is much steeper than I had hoped it would be. My initial idea was to stow the tank on its side, but then I found out it's not safe to do that with the 20 lb tanks.

For the load-out I'm figuring the table/box will be for storage of most of my camp kitchen gear. The propane burner is lashed down in the picture, and I've got a cast iron discada to use with it along with a knife roll in there. I'm not sure how much more I can fit in there but if I need more space inside, I can always move the legs for it out into the bed since they don't really need to be protected from dust. I'm figuring on using the drawer to store mostly tools and recovery gear (straps, hi-lift winching kit, tire chains, etc) since I have my basic tent camping kit all stowed into a 40L backpack which makes it easy to store, load and unload for trips.

The e-track has been a good solution for me so far since it allows for a flexible configuration of tie-down locations without protruding much into the storage space when I'm not using it. They even make ratchet straps with e-track links built onto the ends although the shortest one of those I've seen is 3"x10' which isn't super practical for inside of a smaller compartment. I'm also mounting some single-notch brackets into the bed of the truck for using with those straps when I have bigger stuff that might need to be tied down solidly.

16. May 30, 2018 at 1:22 PM
    bmgreene

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    Some pics from the first "road test" of the unfinished setup, did some cooking at the beach and found out from a new scorch mark on the table that I need a heat shield for the propane burner, and I do need to bolt or otherwise restrain the cabinet for driving. The swingbox is out fir these pics since I realized that I didn't leave enough margin in the design and won't be able to get the table in and out with the box in place (luckily it just lifts off if its hinges).

I still need to figure a closure on the drawer compartment and might switch to a routed-out handle since the stainless ring is too narrow to handle much weight comfortably.

20180528_172650.jpg 20180528_172632.jpg

upTOPOverland_Drew and Dor like this.
  17. Jun 9, 2018 at 8:16 PM
    Sport2018

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    My Avid Off-Road front bumper guard was ready on Friday, and they even put the thing on for me!! Great guys with a cool shop that do great work. I'm very pleased with the guard, and am now not worried about ANYTHING cracking, breaking, bending or popping that strange 'lip' or 'teeth' that makes the protruding part of the front bumper. Brandon was also nice enough to do the TRD logo, but honestly i would have been just as happy with the Avid. Shortly I will have them get started on some basic bolt on sliders, which will be my next upgrade and pretty much complete my basic 'armor'.

I also finally installed my TRD skid plate.

As far as my sleeping arrangements there is absolutely no way i will be able to sleep in that... trough, anymore. It's just too narrow, and maybe could work for a hammock sleeper or someone who mostly sleeps on their back. So i've cleaned up some space that occupied my always-carried clothes in the 3 larger Mollee pouches. They were a pain to get to anyway and stuffing things in and out was actually laborious. I'll now try this storage hammock, and i've put those clothes, and more, into some sheet/bedding bags to keep things organized. Since i don't find myself spending much time inside the truck, it shouldn't interfere. And speaking of which, i think i initially had this idea i could do a lot more, and would spend a lot more time, inside the Snugtop. First of all the weather has been great, but if it gets rainy, cold or very windy i don't think i can comfortably heat water, certainly not cook, and would be very hesitant to run a Mr Buddy heater inside. If i just need a quick overnight camp in bad weather, i do have a rain tarp with guy-lines attached that i can clamp to my roof rack, extend out 6 foot, and stabilize on an extendable tarp pole with the guys securing it. Otherwise i have accepted the fact I will have to have a reasonably level not too rocky 8x8 foot area to deploy the awning and room for cooking and hanging out.

I'll be going out a few more times in the next week to do some exploring, probably taking the sidexside so ill see how much better sleeping on the platform is. Just about every night i have slept in that channel i felt like i was waking up all night and barely got any sleep. And toward to end of the month ill actually be with someone else with a 4x4 for 3 days of camping, and will most likely put the truck through some rougher terrain.

Having experienced short sections of the hard slow going Az rocky mountain roads with this weight and setup, i wanted to minimize the weight on the roof rack as much i could. The ten gallons of drinking water in two 5 gallon jugs i carried up there i have decided to take off. One will go in the middle of the access cab between the two fold down seats as basically an emergency 5 gallons, or i'll use it on the longer trips, but it's gonna stay there. In Az especially, i like the idea of carrying as much water as possible. The other 5 gallons ill put in back with the cooler. I got some 'new' crates for the roofrack too (my Uncle had them and they are some used CVS storage crated for something and they seem pretty water resistant), instead of the Home depot black yellow box, which is fine and all but i want to get as low a profile as i can, so ill keep upgrading them when i come across better options that don't cost hundreds of dollars. Also got another much longer coil RV hose for the RoadShower, and that's nice because now i can put the hose on either side of the truck at the tailgate. It also because of the added length will allow me to use it to fill up on the road from any hose without being literally on top of it. And i did a little more organizing here and there, ditched my cold weather clothing ( i hesitated though because for space i didnt want it's place taken over for when it gets much cooler, or i go to much higher elevations, and have no space for it. But where there's a will, there's a way. :) ).

Since it's been so warm i was able to use my screen protection for the back Snugtop hatch for sleeping when it's open. What i did was just take normal black household fly screen you get at HD and cut it, with a good amount of excess, to generally fit the area. I attach it with velcro, and what really helps and so far has worked great is to get the sticky backed velcro and cut it into whatever size strips you need, but make two for every location because you want to stick the two pieces together sticky side with the screen in between. It makes the velcro stick to the screen and not slide or pull off. ;)

Anyway, here are some pics. And i thought it would be interesting to see a couple photos of this truck straight from the dealership with not even new tires yet.

bmgreene - Ok i see what you're doing now it's in the truck. Man that's too bad about your swingbox, and i know the feeling. Regarding your burn on the table, if you got the room take a cookie sheet or something like that. I never really thought about that as a possibility, but i happened to bought at walmart a perfect smaller sized picnic table that has one side as grated metal for just that reason. And there are all kinds of options with latches that will hold your drawer in place, even the ones designed for locks, and before i settled on nylon pull strips for my trap doors i bought a few recessed drawer pulls that just have a place for a couple fingers to pull it open, maybe something like that? This can actually be the fun part, thinking about options and going to HD wandering the isles. Make sure to get some pics of what you've settled on.

5-18 055.jpg
    5-18 054.jpg
    IMG_20180609_181422348_HDR.jpg IMG_20180609_181418182_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180608_181923691_HDR.jpg IMG_20180609_172515122_HDR.jpg

bmgreene likes this.
  18. Jun 11, 2018 at 10:34 AM
    bmgreene

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    I've got all of the hardware considerations figured out, and just got the 4 coats of spar urethane on the bottom of the box cured (forgot to take pics yet, but I'll try to get some posted tonight). All that's left for me now is to make the "filler" panel for the driver side to make a full width deck possible (connecting with take-apart hinges. For retaining the drawer, I ended up just putting a hasp around the corner with the staple on the side of the box with a 12 inch piano hinge along the upper edge of the flap (which can also serve as a deck extension), and I've mounted some lightweight tie-down rings along on the sides of the case as well as set some e-track brackets on the tops of the wheel-wells for heavier-duty work when I need to lash down something on top of the deck for travel.

For heat shielding, I just picked up a 12x12 piece of diamond plate aluminum to set under the burner (I may also use an old silicone baking mat under that for insulation along with the shielding). Since I might be using the burner on other surfaces (tailgate most likely) with some frequency, I realized that building a shielded patch into the table was a less useful solution since it only protects the table. I was thinking about attaching the heat shield permanently to the burner, but realized that might be well past what's necessary.

19. Jun 11, 2018 at 8:34 PM
    bmgreene

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    Heres the photos of my nearly finished set-up. I got a bit lucky on some of the final details but it also looks like access to some things while toting propane will be a tetris game to get in and out. The propane cradle blocks the swingbox which blocks the cooking table. Using the drawer gate as an extension on that side for a full-length sleeping deck (supported by the drawer itself) fits exactly to the face of the gate, though. Just need to make the driver side deck extension and switch the front hatch closure to a pair of hasps or latches on the sides since it turns out the case latch I put on the front face is too close to the front of the bed to be usable.

20180611_200809.jpg 20180611_200836.jpg 20180611_201109.jpg

20. Jun 13, 2018 at 6:30 PM
    Sport2018

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    Pretty cool man. I like the idea of that swingarm, did you just metal screw that into the side panel there? Is that the only support for it, looks like two screws, or is it lightly sitting on the bed? It's interesting but like you're saying all that space required to deploy it. But having things you have to take out anyway filling that space negates it i suppose. I wonder if they make a 'slide'-out in addition to a 'swing'-out. :)
    Not saying this is the case, but having often used items easily accessible with as little effort as possible is something im learning a whole design should revolve around!

I like what you did with the drawer and folding cover. Is there a reason you didn't have the drawer and platform flush with the tailgate?

..i noticed the smaller bed, do you plan on sleeping in there diagonal with the tailgate closed or with it open? I also noticed, is it a soft-top cap you got there? Do you keep that on most the time and are those quick and easy to remove? It looks like you could have that thing into a pickup in no time. It would be nice sometimes to have that option. And you might have mentioned this before, but did you do anything to tie down or secure the platform to the bed?

Also what have you got securing your shovel and jack?

Keep the pics coming, i like seeing the progress and want to see it in action.

Products Discussed in

To Top