1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New stereo, android auto, parking brake switch

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by mwrohde, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Apr 25, 2018 at 4:14 PM
    mwrohde

mwrohde [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma 4x4 5-speed 3.4 TRD SR5
    I'm installing a new stereo that supports Android Auto. Android Auto refuses to connect because the parking is not set. Except, it is. Android Auto just doesn't know it.

There's a parking brake wire coming off the back of the radio that I didn't hook up. I can see where the parking brake switch is. My question is, how do I hook up this radio wire to the parking brake switch without screwing up the parking brake switch?

Thanks,

Matt

2. Apr 25, 2018 at 5:05 PM
    RLD831

RLD831 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma Doublecab PreRunner Limited
    I just grounded out that wire and I never have to worry about the radio telling me to put the truck in park. If it's wired properly, it will be grounded when the parking brake is set.

3. Apr 25, 2018 at 5:14 PM
    Falconsfan

Falconsfan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 sr dcsb v6 4x4 black
    Depending on your head unit check which wire it tells you to connect to on the parking brake switch wires(positive, negative) like previous poster said most are negative but all may not be, I know you can buy bypass modules too because some like pioneer(had one how I know) will not function if constantly grounded it needs to see on and off. APPS2Car Parking Brake Bypass Video In Motion Interface for Select Pioneer Stereo Radio DVD Receivers - fits All Pioneer AVH, AVH-P, AVH-X, MVH, and DVH Video Units https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L6Z1WYA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_bNr4Ab8TRY6JW

4. Apr 25, 2018 at 7:04 PM
    mwrohde

mwrohde [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma 4x4 5-speed 3.4 TRD SR5
    Thanks for the replies.

Crutchfield and a neighbor, who used to do car alarms, helped me. The instructions said to attach the wire from the radio to the green-with-white-stripe wire from the e-brake switch. There are two of those coming out of the switch. However, my neighbor pointed out that just above the switch is a wire connector (my dad calls them canon plugs. The neighbor had a different name) and there the two wires have different colors and only one is green with a white stripe. Using the multimeter we were able to determine that only that wire changes with the e-brake switch. So, I spliced into that and the radio works.

Products Discussed in

To Top