1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

new stereo, speakers or sub???

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mainland_newfie, May 31, 2009.

1. May 31, 2009 at 9:06 AM
    mainland_newfie

mainland_newfie [OP] Mainland Newfie

Member:
    ontario, canada
    Vehicle:
    TRD Tacoma
    skid plate, side step rails, new rims, hose clamp, 20% tint, G4 Tonneau cover, JVC 7 in double din stereo/dvd
    Ok, I have a JVC 7 inch double din its not in yet, but will be installed as soon as I get the dash plate for it, its on its way.

So heres my question. I've never been a big stereo guy. Not really my thing. But my buddy gave me a ten inch polk sub. And I'm not sure if I want to pay to get a sub box put in the limited space in the back *access cab. Because with it theres no room for a passenger except a child. And I'm not sure if there'll be room for an amp with the box in.

What I'm thinking is selling the sub my buddy gave me and putting in better speakers and an amp instead of the sub. Still haev the leg room, and the sound might be better than a sub with stock speakers. Any opinions???

2. May 31, 2009 at 10:51 AM
    LBtaco

LBtaco Thread killer

Member:
    Long Beach , CA
    Vehicle:
    15 Nissan Leaf
    Jetsons mod
    access cab? do the speakers. I put a AVIC f900 in mine with new 6" component in the front and 6 1/2 in the back. I later had an amp and sub in , and while it had more bass the speakers alone were enough. you would get a greater improvement in sound by replacing the door speakers.
    Also if later down the road you need a sub, it's pretty easy to put in. They all take up some room unless you have $600 for the special sub that goes in the center console

gl

3. May 31, 2009 at 1:02 PM
    mainland_newfie

Member:
    ontario, canada
    Vehicle:
    TRD Tacoma
    skid plate, side step rails, new rims, hose clamp, 20% tint, G4 Tonneau cover, JVC 7 in double din stereo/dvd
    Come on guys, 28 views and only one comment??? Hook me up here

4. May 31, 2009 at 1:37 PM
    NMG

NMG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport
    I would do the speakers first, no question about it. High quality new speakers (especially run with adequate power) may provide you with enough of an improvement that you can live without a sub. I doubt going the other way would. Just my opinion of course :)

I guess it comes down to whether your preference is bass or mids/highs. I like them all but the latter is far more important when it comes to sound quality IMHO.

Good luck!

5. May 31, 2009 at 1:40 PM
    sweater914

sweater914 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    '09 I4 5spd Access Cab Timberland Mica SR5
    I wouldn't worry about the sub just yet. Change your headunit and decide if you really what to dive into the speakers. Once you start talking speakers and amps you can easily go off the deep end.:D

Changing the fronts with a good component set up and some rear co-axials for rear fill with a decent amp will be light years ahead of the stock set up.

6. Jun 1, 2009 at 12:47 PM
    mainland_newfie

Member:
    ontario, canada
    Vehicle:
    TRD Tacoma
    thanks guys, I will probably sell the two polk 10 inch subs my buddy gave me then and put the money into some speakers then. Give me more room in the back and will probably sound better than stock speakers and a sub

7. Jun 1, 2009 at 3:29 PM
    Sg5845

Sg5845 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma TRD OffRoad Edition
    I did the same as LBTaco. The AVIC F-90BT. Added a backup camera (very useful in that truck). I put component speakers in with an Infinity Amp. (500 watts) Plenty of sound!

That being said, I will probably put the sub in to complete the sound system.

Products Discussed in

To Top