1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New stereo works until i turn on lights!?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by ratrod, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Nov 22, 2010 at 7:39 PM
    ratrod

ratrod [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma Dbl Cab TRD SR5 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s @ 1.75 with 1.5 AAL, Satoshi Grill Mod with 2 Hella 500s behind the grill, LED dome and map lights, custom made (by me) 10" subwoofer box behind the dbl cab seat, DVD/iPod/Bluetooth/GPS/TV/USB/Stereo, Yakima rack, Shell, tinted front windows to match the factory backs. Backup cam in the tailgate handle mod.
    I bought some cheap chinese (I know first mistake) dvd/gps/ipod etc. which i hooked up using tacoma plug and play wire harness, matched all colors and wires to stereo (i bypassed dvd brake wire using relay) and plug in and worked great until i drove early am and turned on my lights then got a "no signal" message on stereo, still have power to stereo, buttons are lit but no radio/gps/ipod etc. cant turn power off to stereo either. Took brake wire relay off, tried grounding but got same problem. Dont think this is related. Is this a grounding issue somewhere or a stereo problem?? Oh and btw I have 3 wire harnesses to my old non-jbl factory stereo but plug and play kits only come with 2 harness hookups?? 3rd hookup??

2. Nov 22, 2010 at 7:46 PM
    DWreck

DWreck Famous Retrieval Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Smurf Truck
    Plasti-dip paint, TRD S/C, MCM Fab LT kit, bunches of my fab
    Unhook the orange dimmer wires. Made same mistake and blew guage cluster

3. Nov 22, 2010 at 7:50 PM
    ratrod

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100s @ 1.75 with 1.5 AAL, Satoshi Grill Mod with 2 Hella 500s behind the grill, LED dome and map lights, custom made (by me) 10" subwoofer box behind the dbl cab seat, DVD/iPod/Bluetooth/GPS/TV/USB/Stereo, Yakima rack, Shell, tinted front windows to match the factory backs. Backup cam in the tailgate handle mod.
    I will try this and let you know! Thanks for the quick reply!

4. Nov 22, 2010 at 7:51 PM
    stmpjmpr

stmpjmpr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    So Orange County, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma Sport MGM 4X4
    whats the result?>>im hesitant in buying one of those. curious your review on it.

5. Nov 22, 2010 at 7:59 PM
    DWreck

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Smurf Truck
    Sumn might be perm damaged tho

6. Nov 22, 2010 at 8:00 PM
    NelsonTacoma

NelsonTacoma This is my derpawayinator!!!!!

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport 03 4Runner Limited 4wd
    Bilstein 5100's , 6000k HID Hi/Low Kit, Magnaflow Muffler, 1.5 inch AP Wheel Spacers, Mudflap Delete
    3rd connector is for the steering wheel controls.

Sounds to me like you may have hooked up the dimmer/illumination wire in the wrong spot. I've heard of many people on here doing that and blowing the dimmer switch on the dash. Maybe?

Edit: just noticed someone already said that!! Guess I should learned to read gooder.

7. Nov 22, 2010 at 11:28 PM
    ratrod

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    DWreck was right! I unhooked the orange wire, hooked the stereo back up turned on without lights, turned lights on and stereo stayed on!! As far a my review on the stereo I will keep you posted. I bought off ebay at best offer price of $210. It has hd dvd, gps card and antenna, sd card slot, tv hook up, ipod hookup and came with cable, usb port, etc. Sounds good, dvds look great, gps works nice and really accurate while driving as far as tracking location, still getting used to. I havent figured the whole thing out yet but I was going to buy a gps and ipod hook up separately and that stuff alone cost you over $200 and you still have to buy dvd player if you want that. Hopefully I will get a good years use out of it and I will be happy! Thanks again to DWreck!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  8. Nov 22, 2010 at 11:50 PM
    stmpjmpr

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    So Orange County, Ca
    Vehicle:
    what brand.site u get it from?. would u recommend?

9. Nov 23, 2010 at 9:03 AM
    ratrod

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    got it from this site:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/7-Di...595608?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item415443ad18

Ill use it and see how it does before I recommend. It does seem to do everything pretty well. Plays dvds nicely. I will try to post vids of it working. Only thing I didnt like so far is the stereo is slightly to tall for scosche dash kit to be mounted flush inside. the top mounts a little outside (I will post a pic). I think I can just cut the plastic for a flush mount.

Will post more on this soon.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  10. Nov 23, 2010 at 2:29 PM
    DWreck

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Smurf Truck
    One guys f up saves another

11. Nov 23, 2010 at 5:19 PM
    ratrod

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Thanks again!!!

12. Nov 23, 2010 at 8:20 PM
    ratrod

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Pics from phone -

dddvd.jpg
    ddgps.jpg

13. Nov 26, 2010 at 5:04 PM
    stmpjmpr

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    So Orange County, Ca
    Vehicle:
    still workin ok?

14. Nov 28, 2010 at 6:50 PM
    ratrod

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Still working well. By far the best feature is the dvd player. Great picture. Gps works good. And Bluetooth worked great after linked with phone and broadcasts callers voice thru speakers. Ipod controls aren't the greatest and sound quality may be lacking thru ipod hookup. Also not enough sound equalization control but it definately is louder than factory. With an better speakers sound might improve. If you play lots of pop radio and techno type music the sound is great. Overall. I think it was worth it for me just for the Gps and dvd.

Products Discussed in

To Top