1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Tacoma Buyers, What Was Your Dealer Handling Charge?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Barnone, May 19, 2010.

1. May 19, 2010 at 6:11 AM
    Barnone

Barnone [OP] Guest

I'm looking to buy a new Taco.
    I haven't bought a new vehicle in seven years. I did the USAA pricing deal and got some good potential discounts.
    Called the best price dealer which is about 100 miles away. Asked the salesman about any dealer handling charges above sales tax and license fees and he said the dealer fee was $699.50.
    Also he said all Toyota dealers charge that much. I hate dealing with the slick talking sales people. I told him to forget it.
    Anyway, what did you have to pay for the dealer handling fee?
    Thanks,

2. May 19, 2010 at 6:21 AM
    Steve_P

Steve_P Well-Known Member

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5 4WD 4cyl
    I didn't pay a handling or doc fee. I paid a total of ~$600-700 over dealer list cost (less tax) when I bought my 09 in ~6/08. I could've found a better deal, I had one dealer that would sell at $500 over but they didn't have what I wanted. I was in a rush, and this was before the economy really tanked but I'm happy with what I paid. My local dealer does have a similar fee of $500+ (can't remember) so I didn't buy there and instead drove the ~200 miles for a better deal.

Shop around and try for $500 over their listed cost with all their fees included. Now should be a good time to buy with the economy still not great and Toyota having problems.

3. May 19, 2010 at 6:56 AM
    grivera

grivera Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hanover, MD
    Vehicle:
    '08 DC SR5 4x4, Desert Sand Mica
    Rear Suspension TSB, Bilstein 5100 on all 4 corners-fronts set at 1.75". BFG A/T's @ 265/75/16; Access LE Roll-up cover; Iron Cross Tube SS Steps; Fumoto valve; WeatherTech Liners; AFE Pro-Dry; front side windows tinted 20%; TW Decal!
    Maryland- $99 dealer processing (not required by law)

4. May 19, 2010 at 7:01 AM
    cntmdc

cntmdc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pablo
    Delray Beach,Fl
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 "Super White"
    Undercover Toneau cover, Billet Grill, bug deflector,Fog light Mod,Nerf bars,17" TRD Sport wheels, stainless mirror covers,LED Guage cluster "Blue",SS Front Skid Plate,Custom "SOCKMONKEY" SR5 Decals, OEM TRD SS exhaust tip,shorty antenna,Clarion DVD Head unit,Bilstein 5100's Front shocks,Toytec 2"AAL,Custom Racing Stripe hood,roof & tail gate
    Try locating a broker, shop around and get the lowest price and then deal with the broker it's usally invoice less any rebates plus $300-$400 commision.The dealer fee is also waived.GL with your purchase

5. May 19, 2010 at 7:58 AM
    minivan4tacoma

minivan4tacoma Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristi
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner DC LB SR5 #2 w/JBL
    The only fees above invoice we were charged were the destination fee, tax (highest in US, blech), and licensing. We also paid $100 over invoice, is that considered a dealer fee? :confused:

6. May 19, 2010 at 9:20 AM
    a89aries

a89aries Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    London Ontario
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD offroad
    Buying 1 year old FTW!

7. May 19, 2010 at 10:45 AM
    jassco

jassco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab 2.7L SR5 5spd, 4x4
    5100 set to .85 w/ rear TSB, 2012 Rear-view Mirror, Grillecraft, Team Trails FJ Wheels, TPMS canister, Rear headrest delete, Rear console delete, Valley Hitch, Frame undercoat, $2.99 Tailgate hose clamp lock, Avid light bar, 4x4 lighted switch ala Biceman.
    A good dealer will tell you upfront/might be illegal not to. Mine states on their site as well:

Beyond the vehicle's selling price, what other costs are associated with a purchase?
    ..... Other costs include; Mass. Registry fees: $25 transfer plate fee or $50 new plate fee, $75 title fee, $29 state inspection sticker. Dealership Administrative fee: $245.

What is the dealership's administrative fee and why is it there?
    The administrative fee, $245, addresses service costs sustained by our dealership that are different than those paid to the manufacturer to obtain the vehicles. The administrative fee is relate to costs associated with compliance for Federal and Massachusetts State laws that grant safety, consumer protection, anti-theft measures, vehicle history checks, notifications, certifications and other official filings.

I would say thats BS. They give you a low price and try to make it up with the "fee". Try internet sales off dealer sites they usually give you the lowest price a dealer will do since there is little overhead that way.

8. Jan 19, 2013 at 4:01 PM
    nova423

nova423 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB TRD Sport
    Nerf bars, LED lights, truxport tonneau
    IF you think you have hand on your salesman, tell them your paying no delivery charge or handling fee. They aren't delivering the vehicle to your residence are they? Then you shouldn't pay for it.

9. Jan 19, 2013 at 4:24 PM
    DR Da_da

DR Da_da Infrequent Member

Member:
    Northeast FL
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 V6 TRD Offroad auto access cab
    ToyTec ultimate lift, LR UCAs, TRD gen 1 CAI, TRD cat-back, bull bar, anytime fog lights, lighted 4x4 switch, factory SS step tubes, factory interior lighting package, factory VIP 3200 alarm, FJ TRD center caps, rear diff breather relocate, tint, bug deflector, Weather Tech liners
    HOLY THREAD REVIVAL, BATMAN!

The delivery/destination fee is a real fee that the Toyota Motor Corporation charges the dealer to ship the vehicle to their lot. This is on top of the actual cost the dealer pays for the vehicle. That's why this fee is passed on to the consumer. The delivery fee varies by Toyota distribution region (i.e. Gulf States Toyota, South East Toyota, etc.). It sucks, but it's a legit fee.

10. Jan 19, 2013 at 4:31 PM
    Mpgillespie

Mpgillespie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Moore, OK
    Vehicle:
    13 PreDCSB Stormtroopen Taco

A local Toyota dealership not in their network honored that price on the Usaa car buying service for me, so I didn't have to drive further to another dealership.

11. Jan 19, 2013 at 4:31 PM
    Jerryjc

Jerryjc Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road Barcelona Red 4x4 DCSB
    Tonno Pro soft Tri Fold bed cover
    purchased my 2012 through dealers internet sales truck was $2,200 below sticker price plus taxes, destination etc. I was also charged $319.75 for the following dealer charges. clerical expense $110.00 , document transfer $110.75 and computer time $99.00. What the heck is computer time!!

To Top