1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

new tacoma review

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by thecelt, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Aug 27, 2015 at 4:24 AM
    thecelt

thecelt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16' TRD OR MGM
    Dont even get me
    Dont even get me started about gun control... im a HUGE 2a advocate.. ill save those rantings for my gun forums. ;)

But i agree that this was a poor and biased review.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  2. Aug 27, 2015 at 7:29 AM
    TacoJonn

TacoJonn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Cheyenne, Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCLB Sport 4x4, '78 FJ40
    It's funny how all of these bajillion reviews are so formulaic and similar. They all start with mentioning how the Tacoma is "long in the tooth" and they talk about the mid size market has been stagnate. I wish Toyota would fly me out to a demo, I think I could do a review much better than most of these guys. The best reviews so far have been the Autoguide one posted at the end of page one on this thread and the Univision Spanish Language one which is nearly a half hour. You would think a New York Times journalist would be more capable than regurgitating the exact same bullet points as everyone else.

James_Bond likes this.
  3. Aug 27, 2015 at 7:43 AM
    SDTaco4x4

SDTaco4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black TRD Sport 4x4
    This! What is up with these "reviews"? We already know what the engine is and that you can get it in a 4x4...is it that hard to just do a thorough walk through of the truck?

4. Aug 27, 2015 at 7:54 AM
    Tunngavik

Tunngavik Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off-Road Access Cab 6 speed manual
    KC-HiLites Fog Lamps, Kicker speaker and tweeter upgrade, USB in center console, Power tailgate lock, Soundproofing, 32" lightbar
    If your an "automobile journalist" and you want to be invited to these premiere junkets all expenses paid then you better tow the line. I suspect that's why all these reviews are similar. Every company does it.

Being a journalist is just a catch phrase. There are very few individuals that I would consider being a journalist in the correct definition if the term.

5. Aug 27, 2015 at 8:03 AM
    TacoJonn

TacoJonn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Cheyenne, Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCLB Sport 4x4, '78 FJ40
    I agree. Toyota flies them out, gives them good food and free goodies in hopes of a positive review. Symbiotic relationship. The only good thing about the NYT review is that he seemed much more honest about his criticism of the new Tacoma. Most other reviews talk it up and will complain about something minor such as the seating position (which is how EVERY Tacoma has ever been). I suspect when people start doing reviews on actual production Tacomas you will see a bit more honesty.

6. Aug 27, 2015 at 8:06 AM
    Joelev

Joelev Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've worked as a journalist. It's important to remember who the audience for this little piece is—and it is little; the NYT doesn't have a huge audience interested in the nitty-gritty of truck reviews—and what they're actually interested in hearing. The Times may be one of the biggest and best sources of journalism on the planet, but they can't give a feature-length effort on something that's better served by the enthusiast press. The reason a lot of these reviews sound the same is because the basic bullet points of what has changed is similar. It's not about pleasing the manufacturers, per se—although managing those relationships is always a factor, although any publication worth reading puts their relationship with their readers way ahead of any worries about PR friendliness—but just about trying to distill a relatively unimportant piece of news (an updated truck) into something that's parseable and understandable for most people.

Riotcontrol likes this.
  7. Aug 27, 2015 at 8:29 AM
    viking15

viking15 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe

AMEN my brother. I have had ford, chevy, and dodge pickup trucks and neither one came close to my 2006 Tacoma for realiablity and service.

8. Aug 27, 2015 at 4:48 PM
    EB Group

EB Group Carbon Jedi

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudy
    Halifax
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport DCSB 6M
    That went over my head

9. Aug 27, 2015 at 4:52 PM
    EB Group

EB Group Carbon Jedi

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudy
    Halifax
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport DCSB 6M

It was not him stating facts and letting the consumer decide but he regularly insinuates the negative by saying something or not saying something. Thus he is BIASED
    lol
    And I'm pretty sure $40K is not an economy anything.

10. Aug 27, 2015 at 5:10 PM
    Tunngavik

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    KC-HiLites Fog Lamps, Kicker speaker and tweeter upgrade, USB in center console, Power tailgate lock, Soundproofing, 32" lightbar
    I don't think that's hard to do. I read your other last post as well :facepalm:

11. Aug 27, 2015 at 5:12 PM
    Tunngavik

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    :facepalm:

Dagosa likes this.
  12. Aug 27, 2015 at 5:17 PM
    EB Group

EB Group Carbon Jedi

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudy
    Halifax
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport DCSB 6M
    Right, you wound me.

13. Aug 27, 2015 at 5:46 PM
    ArnieSea

ArnieSea Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Arnie
    Salish Sea, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Double Cab TRD Sport 4X4
    Blazing Blue, with full tech package, Tow Package, & Tonneau cover.
    James Bond; This is a much better review from someone who knows trucks. Thanks for posting!

James_Bond likes this.
  14. Aug 27, 2015 at 8:39 PM
    EB Group

EB Group Carbon Jedi

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudy
    Halifax
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport DCSB 6M
    Thats a proper review.
    Why you may ask, (funny guy), because the reviewer points out the good and bad, and when he points out the bad he's not a dick about it.
    Hope that didn't go over you head Tunn.
    o_O

15. Aug 27, 2015 at 8:56 PM
    Tunngavik

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Well that's not the worst review I've seen but it's far from the best. You want good reviews go see Alex on Autos or Engineering Explained or lastly Consumer Reports where they are not flown out all expenses paid by the manufacturer to "review" the vehicle. Consumer Reports and a few others buy or rent their vehicles so there is not an obvious conflict of interest going on.

The Auto Guide guy looks like he watched the Ferd 15,000 video before making his video. The bad? The seat height, back space and the headroom.... I've been in the truck, there are a few more problems than that.

WaldoJPL likes this.
  16. Aug 27, 2015 at 11:43 PM
    Eric5273

Eric5273 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    New Jersey
    If you want an unbiased review, then look for a review from someone who was not "given" their review vehicle from Toyota (or whichever car manufacturer). As far as I know, there is only one major company that does automotive reviews that buys all of their vehicles and does not receive anything from the car manufacturers, and I'm pretty sure you all know who that is.

They never go to these pre-release events, so you have to wait a few months to see their review, but that is what you have to do if you want an honest review.

Some of these car reviewers seem to love every car they review. No big secret why, but I wonder why anyone would trust them to review anything if they never have anything bad to say about any vehicles.

Dagosa likes this.
  17. Aug 28, 2015 at 5:52 AM
    jameswisrik

jameswisrik Don't Tread on ME!

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Greenland
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD OffRoad
    265 75r16 ko2 Pro comp wheels.
    Awsome! he screams like a little girl going over the incline. Tacoma is not meant to be a LazyBoy Minivan of trucks like the Canyon/Colorado and Honda Ridgeline. Plus, with new CAFE regulation...only idiots will buy diesel engines. He needs to use a little muscle to push the back seat down to make it flat! I don't ever need my truck to be fast ...i need it to be freaking reliable. Ask him which truck he would take on a desert/mountain/jungle adventure...i'm sure he will not take a GM/Ford/Nissan/Honda/Doge. There is only 1 vehicle..a Toyota Tacoma.

18. Aug 28, 2015 at 5:56 AM
    Dagosa

Dagosa Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco TRD OR
    Debaged
    Under the circumstances, this review isn't half bad. We will find out for sure if thirty more horsepower does indeed make a truck faster....gee it used to. Over 90% of even an off road truck is on the paved roads so merging and passing is still important. As far as comments about the frame and brakes, I had a 4 Runner. It had a mammoth fully boxed frame and rode better then my Tacoma. It also had disc brakes in the back and was still pretty good off road. I will say that the front discs are more protected by suspension components and the drum rears do technically offer better protection.
    I too am looking forward to a head to head review with the Colorado from a publication that does not accept advertising.

Let's not get out panties in an uproar just because someone critiques the truck and we don't like everything they say. The "honest" evaluator did it for years and it did little to affect sales of the 2 nd gen.

19. Sep 13, 2015 at 8:08 AM
    Lester Lugnut

Lester Lugnut Well-Known Member

Member:
    N of Mex-S of Canada-E of LA-W of NC
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma PreRunner V6 SR5 Auto
    Funny - I'm anything but a journalist and was invited to be flown out to Willow Springs Raceway(SoCal) for a 10/2-10/4 2016 Tacoma event. Invite came from an AutoGuide admin on another Toyota yack site.

We shall see how that works out.

20. Sep 13, 2015 at 8:40 AM
    bsacamano

bsacamano Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma Sport DCLB V6 4x4
    I honestly don't view Toyota as an economy brand. That went out the window 20 years ago.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015

Products Discussed in

To Top