1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Tacoma rust proofing

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by roycameron, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Apr 25, 2011 at 4:27 PM
    roycameron

roycameron [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 4X4 2.7 5 speed
    Just wondering if it is worth doing the dealership rust proofing, about 699 CAN. The dealer did not recommend krown as they say drilling holes in body panels is bad, do you guys agree. What about the old style oil from oil tech is that any good on a new Vehicle. I have also read guys doing in them selves with spray on bed liner for the frame. Just looking for some opinions
    Thanks

2. Apr 25, 2011 at 4:42 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Have them spray paint underside of that thing since its new. Not sure what they use in Canada but here in NE dealer undercoating sucks

3. Apr 25, 2011 at 4:46 PM
    Norcan

Norcan What we don't have we make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Elora, ON Canada
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma Double Cab TRD
    Bakflip F1, BakBox, Sportwing Colour matched door mouldings, Weathertech floor liners, Toyota running boards,Toyota Hood Deflector,Pop N Lock power tailgate lock, Custom Otterbox defender mount for IPhone 4, Blu Logic Large button kit, BonGiovi DPS, fog light on with parking light low beam and high beam mod, TRD Exhaust, Muth heated signal mirrors, Liquid Metal Rhino Wheels in Black!, Redline Elite hoodlifts, EZ down tailgate,
    I'm having my done by the dealer predelivery. Krown works but some of them do drill holes and I don't like that. Also the deal one I got came with a life warrenty as long as they do the free once a year inspection. Cost is about the same is a few years of Krown.

Good luck

4. Apr 25, 2011 at 5:11 PM
    supralight

supralight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner limited
    Every good rust proofing shop WILL drill holes in your doors, rockers and tailgate. My 2011 has holes. They put black caps on them, it's not like you will have big empty holes laying around. They don't do that for fun, it's the only way to protect the interior of body panels, and here in salt country it is, as far as I know, the only reliable way to keep your car rust-free

5. Apr 25, 2011 at 5:14 PM
    Irish020

Irish020 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    '05 Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Longbed
    ARE Hard Tonneau Cover Flowmaster American Thunder Super 50 Series Stainless Dual Exhaust Toytec Ultimate 3" w/ UCA's
    I had the "TST" treatment on my '05 new with Teflon like coating on paint, stain treatment on interior fabric, and an under spray coating. Had it up to put on exhaust this month and only visible rust is on the bottom surface of frame rails. I live in PA and they like to use salt here.

6. Apr 26, 2011 at 2:07 AM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    I have been getting my truck rust-proofed with Krown now for the past few years. I have no issues with them drilling hoes. I like the fact that Krown covers a vast area and they put the stuff inside areas that are prone to rust, not just on the surface. I also like the fact that is runny and helps keep bolts and stuff from seizing. I'll continue to get my truck done with Krown yearly. Love the stuff

7. Apr 26, 2011 at 7:19 AM
    sam_i02

sam_i02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Samir
    Kanata, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner AccessCab
    BHLM, Satoshi grill, D-rings, Relentless Fab recovery shackle, DRL, Firestone RideRite airbags, WO seatcovers, added temp gauge, custom interior lights.
    I second the Krown treatment. Will be getting mine done in the next few weeks as soon as I have ~$100 to spare!

To Top