1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Tacoma rust proofing

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by roycameron, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Apr 25, 2011 at 4:27 PM
    roycameron

roycameron [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 4X4 2.7 5 speed
    Just wondering if it is worth doing the dealership rust proofing, about 699 CAN. The dealer did not recommend krown as they say drilling holes in body panels is bad, do you guys agree. What about the old style oil from oil tech is that any good on a new Vehicle. I have also read guys doing in them selves with spray on bed liner for the frame. Just looking for some opinions
    Thanks

2. Apr 25, 2011 at 4:42 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Have them spray paint underside of that thing since its new. Not sure what they use in Canada but here in NE dealer undercoating sucks

3. Apr 25, 2011 at 4:46 PM
    Norcan

Norcan What we don't have we make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Elora, ON Canada
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma Double Cab TRD
    Bakflip F1, BakBox, Sportwing Colour matched door mouldings, Weathertech floor liners, Toyota running boards,Toyota Hood Deflector,Pop N Lock power tailgate lock, Custom Otterbox defender mount for IPhone 4, Blu Logic Large button kit, BonGiovi DPS, fog light on with parking light low beam and high beam mod, TRD Exhaust, Muth heated signal mirrors, Liquid Metal Rhino Wheels in Black!, Redline Elite hoodlifts, EZ down tailgate,
    I'm having my done by the dealer predelivery. Krown works but some of them do drill holes and I don't like that. Also the deal one I got came with a life warrenty as long as they do the free once a year inspection. Cost is about the same is a few years of Krown.

Good luck

4. Apr 25, 2011 at 5:11 PM
    supralight

supralight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner limited
    Every good rust proofing shop WILL drill holes in your doors, rockers and tailgate. My 2011 has holes. They put black caps on them, it's not like you will have big empty holes laying around. They don't do that for fun, it's the only way to protect the interior of body panels, and here in salt country it is, as far as I know, the only reliable way to keep your car rust-free

bobboberson, patbegley and spitdog like this.
  5. Apr 25, 2011 at 5:14 PM
    Irish020

Irish020 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    '05 Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Longbed
    ARE Hard Tonneau Cover Flowmaster American Thunder Super 50 Series Stainless Dual Exhaust Toytec Ultimate 3" w/ UCA's
    I had the "TST" treatment on my '05 new with Teflon like coating on paint, stain treatment on interior fabric, and an under spray coating. Had it up to put on exhaust this month and only visible rust is on the bottom surface of frame rails. I live in PA and they like to use salt here.

6. Apr 26, 2011 at 2:07 AM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    I have been getting my truck rust-proofed with Krown now for the past few years. I have no issues with them drilling hoes. I like the fact that Krown covers a vast area and they put the stuff inside areas that are prone to rust, not just on the surface. I also like the fact that is runny and helps keep bolts and stuff from seizing. I'll continue to get my truck done with Krown yearly. Love the stuff

patbegley likes this.
  7. Apr 26, 2011 at 7:19 AM
    sam_i02

sam_i02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Samir
    Kanata, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner AccessCab
    BHLM, Satoshi grill, D-rings, Relentless Fab recovery shackle, DRL, Firestone RideRite airbags, WO seatcovers, added temp gauge, custom interior lights.
    I second the Krown treatment. Will be getting mine done in the next few weeks as soon as I have ~$100 to spare!

8. Aug 22, 2015 at 6:52 AM
    babylon5

babylon5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport
    Picked up my 2015 tacoma yesterday, had it Krown(ed) today. And with this model they didn't need to drill any hole (although that never bothered me with my other cars).
    My 11 year old 2004 odyssey with 100,000 miles has been done every year. No rust anywhere, bottom of all doors, hood and hatch seams are 100% rust free with no seam seperation, paint peeling etc.
    Been using this for 25 years now and won't use any other. Unlike the waxy stuff (tried once and my doors were rusting out while a 6 year older model of the same car that had been krowned was rustfree)

I keep my cars a minimum of 10 years. Last van 13 years, current van 11 years. And its was mechanicals that made me get rid of previous van, not rust.

Like the fact that it also lubricates all the stuff in the doors etc that only get lubed from factory like window tracks, locks and cylinders, electrical connections etc.

And being in Ontario they use a #$# load of salt here. Krown was the only APA approved rust protection (think they should include rust check as well but don't know why they didnt)

Made sure they did a good job or applying it to inside and outside of frame. Don't know if they resovled issue with frame rust on earlier models but don't want to take any chances.

If you trade ever 4 years you can probably skip this but I don't like lifetime car payments...

9. Aug 22, 2015 at 7:53 AM
    skiergd011013

skiergd011013 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Offroad 4x4 AC SSM
    maybe a dumb question, but does krown do the frame too? Or just the body? Theres a local shop here that advertises their POR 15 treatment, and the guy told me they guarantee the frame for 10 years with their treatment. Does this sound like b.s? I also thought por15 had to be used on rusty frames, not newish frames??

10. Aug 26, 2015 at 12:34 PM
    babylon5

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    The place i went to is the same place/guy i have been dealing with for 25 years. On previous vehicles he did drill holes but as i mentioned he found on the tacoma that there where enough already plugged holes that the didn't have to.

As for the frame he sprayed both inside and outside the whole frame.

Even though my 2004 odyssey is a unibody it does have sections of the underbody that are frame like and after 11 years of Ontario winters and salt exposure they are totally rust free as well as the bare (never undercoated) other underbody panels..

I have no doubt that the Krown product will do the same job on my new tacoma.

11. Aug 26, 2015 at 1:34 PM
    shakerhood

shakerhood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Off Road, 6 Speed MT, P&T
    I used this stuff from Eastwood called Heavy Duty Anti Rust, its a watery waxy type substance. I used it all over the frame on my 08, I traded it in last week and the frame still looked fine. The only downside I found to it is that it stinks pretty bad till it dries.

12. Aug 26, 2015 at 1:45 PM
    JL911

JL911 Psshh

Member:
    SE PA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC 2.7L 5spd 4x4
    Another +1 for Krown. The holes they drill are so small that they are barely even noticeable and they insert a small rubber plug that leaves it looking factory. Krown will warranty any rust damage as long as you have it reapplied annually up to full replacement of the vehicle. If that doesn't speak volumes to the confidence in their product, I don't know what will.

13. Aug 26, 2015 at 1:53 PM
    Josh828

Josh828 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Avery NC
    Vehicle:
    14 White TRD Off road, Mid travel mountain truck
    FOX 2.5 extended travel, Fox 2.0 rears, LR UCA, XSPX rims, some light bars, and switches
    How much is this... krown... any pics?

14. Aug 26, 2015 at 1:58 PM
    JL911

JL911 Psshh

Member:
    SE PA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC 2.7L 5spd 4x4
    First time Krown application is in the $150 area with a slight discount upon your annual return depending on your installer. What pics would you like? I can grab a pic of the small rubber plug if that is what you're looking for.

15. Aug 26, 2015 at 1:58 PM
    Josh828

Josh828 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Avery NC
    Vehicle:
    14 White TRD Off road, Mid travel mountain truck
    FOX 2.5 extended travel, Fox 2.0 rears, LR UCA, XSPX rims, some light bars, and switches
    Just curious if its like a film or like bed liner

16. Aug 26, 2015 at 2:01 PM
    JL911

JL911 Psshh

Member:
    SE PA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC 2.7L 5spd 4x4
    It is an oil based coating that "creeps". When sprayed, it slowly moves all over the frame, interior door panels, vehicle wiring, door mechanisms, etc.. It is non-conductive so it will not short out or damage any electrical systems.

This means that it completely rust proofs just about everything by the time it is done "creeping".

It makes no visible coating, but you can feel it if you wipe the frame or other coated surface with your finger the first few weeks after application.

17. Aug 26, 2015 at 2:01 PM
    Yoda's TRD

Yoda's TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport
    My truck came from the dealership with "rust proofing"
    yeah right
    I saw that there was no undercoating on the frame, and the dealer showed me this stupid electronic device that supposedly keeps the rust off....
    more like snake oil

anyway, when I checked with my local Ziebart dealer, they told me they do "Undercoating" which basically just sprays the frame / bottom side of the truck AND / OR "Rust-proofing" where they drill the holes ...

pretty sure before to much longer, I'm going to have just the undercoating part done.

18. Aug 26, 2015 at 2:04 PM
    ssanders2211

ssanders2211 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCLB 4x4
    behind the rear seat hi-lift mount bracket, easy-out crossbed toolbox brackets, sliders, ATO plate rear bumper, hood/bed lighting, always-on 12v outlets, dashcam, Viper 5806V w/ GPS
    My experience / research from having to sell my 1999 back from excessive frame rust:

Hard undercoatings (bedliner included) are not that great because they'll chip/crack eventually from debris hits. This leaves small openings saltwater can infiltrate and start rusting. I'm sure the coating slows this process down which is good, but it also hides it from visual inspection until it's too late, which is bad.

Oily undercoatings are best because they don't hide anything and "creep" back into place when something hits them. You need oxygen + bare metal to have rust, and with oil coating everything the O2 never contacts the metal. Many people just slap some used motor oil on there but from some reviews I read it doesn't stick that well or hold the rust at bay very long. Plus it's really bad to be dripping that stuff out on the ground.

I ended up going w/ Fluid Film. Every spring I wash the undercarriage off and every fall I use a sprayer and just soak the undercarriage with fluid film. Then I don't go thru any carwashes that have underbody washes because they'll remove the fluid film. After 1 winter of this the undercarriage still looks rust-free despite all the road salt I had caked on there for 6 months straight. It doesn't look bad, just like a thin layer of dirt/grime that gets everywhere if you touch the undercarriage. If you do a lot of work down there I'd say just powerwash it real good with a detergent added in the spring, then reapply in the fall. You probably won't be under there as much in the winter anyway.

I have not heard anything but compliments regarding Krown. Supposedly it's like fluid film but better. Only available in Canada and some parts of the NE US.

Other guys are just very proactive about rinsing everything off after a storm and then they do a yearly inspection to wire brush and paint any rust spots they see. That's probably your best approach but it is the most time consuming.

19. Aug 26, 2015 at 8:15 PM
    babylon5

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    I tried the waxy stuff one but it ended clogging up the drain hole, sitting in top and holding moisture in and eventually dring out and craking and allowing even more water in to get trapped.
    Krown is like a thicker version of WD40 (a watetr displacing lubricant).
    Its sprayed in as a mist into the doors for example, It lubricates the locks, window tracks, electrical connectors etc but the most important part is that it gets into the lower door seems. Since its lighter than water it forces the water out of the seems so it can then evaporate.
    If you have water in the seems and you live anywhere where you get winter this water then freeze and since water expands when frozen it causes the seems to seperate, the paint to crack and this is what will eventualy end up rusted away.
    This stuff does not dry out. You go back once a year and get a respray. and everything gets lubes again.

I will post a picture of the front door seem on my 2004 honda osyssey to show this better than i can describe (and this has seen 11 salt filled ontario winters).

For my 4 door tacoma it was $139 but they gave me a $10 discount. And with krown that price is guaranteed for life.

If I lived in an area that has no salt and no winter i would probably just do it every 3 or 4 years just to get all the interior door parts lubed etc.

And since its sprayed on the whole underside it also get into all the nuts and bolts making them much easier to remove for repairs...
    And it keeps brake lines from rusting too.

JL911 likes this.
  20. Aug 31, 2015 at 3:45 PM
    Pboudreau

Pboudreau Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Canada Saint John, NB
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB
    3" lift, fuel rims, 285's, remote start, leather
    I use Krown as well, great product!