1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New tire advice

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by SpacemanSpiff, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Jun 29, 2011 at 7:31 AM
    SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-road
    I am searching for replacement tires for my '08 Tacoma. The oem BFG Rugged Trails (265x70r16) have 38,500 on them and have developed severe dry rotting w/ cracks that run around the entire tire between the treads. A dealer said that the tread life may be around 3000 - 5000 more before replacing, although the cracking could cause failure (it was garage kept for 3 years). I am looking for a replacement that has better treadlife and at least similar - preferably better - performance than the BFGs. Most of my driving is road/highway, but I occasionally spend time on dirt roads, fields, etc. - not serious off roading, but can get muddy at times. I am looking at Firestone Destination ATs - how do these stack up to the BFGs - is mpg worse? Or, is there a better tire that will suit my needs? Thanks in advance!

2. Jun 29, 2011 at 8:38 AM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    I just bought the Destination A/T's and like em'. I've had them for maybe a month. The tread is enough that they look like they will be good in the snow, yet i haven't noticed a difference in mileage. I upsized slightly from the OE.

3. Jun 29, 2011 at 9:21 AM
    rbishopp

rbishopp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Webster, NY
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD Reg cab Taco. Keepin it simple.
    So far I've added an Advance folding bed cover and since removed it. Gave it to my son in Maine, he has an 05 2wd. GT perfect fit seat covers. Weathertech floor mats and window vent visors. Waag center brush/grill guard. Hose clamp tailgate mod. Turned off the seat belt chime. Added Ultra-Gauge. Trailer hitch. Softopper. Replaced sun visors with slide out style. Toyota bed extender. Had Firestone Destinations and now Michelin LTX AT2 in stock size. More mods to come; Fog lights, locking storage in bed, intermittent wipers. Now looking for Radio/HU upgrade. and maybe a lift way down the road.
    WNYTACOMA... what did you have before. The show room tires? I need to replace these POS Dunlops and the dealer suggested the Destination LE's. Look good but like you need the snow capability too.

4. Jun 29, 2011 at 9:29 AM
    tiresmokintacoma

tiresmokintacoma Bean&Cheese Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    VIC
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 DCLB OR Prior: 99LX470/05DCOR97LX450/914R
    Basic
    get some bfg all terrains. Mine have 40,000 miles on them and they still have good tread left. Plus i wheel the shit out of my truck and those tire have gone through some crazy stuff. They have chunks missing and cuts all over the place. Still ride like new

5. Jun 29, 2011 at 9:34 AM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    Yeah, i had the OE, but mine were the BFG 'Rugged Trails'. They blew, and even more so in the snow. On top of the lousy snow performance, i lost the first one while driving in rain to Grand Island when a sharp piece of plastic stuck in the sidewall and emptied it within minutes.

The 2nd, i took a nail towards the sidewall in 'no repair' range. That was enough of that, and i went in and after a good amount of research, i got the Destination AT's.

I like them as i said, and really haven't noticed any change in mileage, despite the more aggressive thread and slightly larger tire. (Went to the 75's)

6. Jun 29, 2011 at 7:25 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    These... perhaps the best tire

Hankook001_ac1afcb5d60da5d7a3f6df9ca04a4e71cf6dc30a.jpg

I have put on any of my Tacomas...

Hankook Dynapro ATM 265/75-16

7. Jun 29, 2011 at 7:30 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    If it's road driving, nothing out there touches the Michelin LTX MS/2 IMO. I've seen absurd mileage on sets of those things.

8. Jun 29, 2011 at 7:38 PM
    hard2kill

hard2kill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    06 4door trd sport white 6spd
    ...315's,2in bora wheel spacers,safari snorkel,wheel spacers,bruteforcefab rear bumper and sliders,afe filter,hi-lift jack,5100 with OME 886 & 1/2in spacer,allpro expo's,icon 10in rear shox,flip kit,ss brake lines,cobra cb,fog light mod,yellow fogs,weathertech mats,fullsize spare tire and extra sport rim,tinted windows,aeroturbine 2525 muffler dumped over axle...rear diff breather mod...removed factory spare...removed 2nd air filter...THULE roof rack and fairing....bud builts front to back,allpoo front bumper,BAMF lca skids,overland Offroad roof and bed racks,
    I love the nitto terra graplers for an a/t tire high milage great price and excell at everything

9. Jun 29, 2011 at 7:41 PM
    YellowDog01

YellowDog01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 4x4
    X2, I know some people that have 80k on them :eek:

10. Jun 29, 2011 at 7:43 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    I know a guy with some on his Dodge 2500 dually that are a shade over 100k and look like they could go another 10k. Ridiculous.

11. Jun 29, 2011 at 7:45 PM
    YellowDog01

YellowDog01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 4x4
    Wow. That's impressive. They are great tires. Almost everyone that has had them swears by them.

12. Jun 29, 2011 at 11:45 PM
    Eurosport

Eurosport Well-Known Member

Member:
    around the world
    i don't think i'd want a tire with 80k on my car, that many heat cycles....

MS2 are overrated for how good they are, yes their tread does last longer than other tires but they lose in the grip and performance areas.
    they are a hwy tire all depends on one's needs i guess, just saying that there's a lot more to take into consideration when buying tires, conditions, climate, road surfaces, driving habits, all play a role in finding the right tire...

13. Jun 30, 2011 at 4:22 AM
    SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-road
    It's very difficult to make a decision on these tires because I don't have a lot of experience buying tires... As I said, 90% of my driving is road/highway (to work, etc) and also dirt roads, fields - but no "real" offroading, I guess - I am just looking for a quality replacement tire that will meet all my needs and yet have better tread life and at least the same mpg...

14. Jul 1, 2011 at 9:12 AM
    Mescalero

Mescalero Beretta Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB TRD PRO Mag Gray
    would be happy to help you get these near cost, just let me know what you end up wanting!

15. Jul 1, 2011 at 9:24 AM
    kws129

kws129 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road Double Cab
    I have a set of Toyo open country A/T's they were reasonably priced and I feel the quality is very good.

I've put hundreds of tires on (used to work in a garage) and am very fussy with balancing etc and these tires balanced up with no trouble and have been good since I have about 10k on them with no trouble.

There are lots of good tires out there but I think the Toyo's are a very good value.

16. Jul 1, 2011 at 9:47 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Yes, I have run the Toyo Open Country AT and Cooper Discoverer ATRs on my '05 Taco... and they were very good, I would buy them again if I didn't find a better tire! I like my Hankook ATm's even better, so far!

Products Discussed in

To Top