1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New To Offroading: Feel Like Every Noise I Hear Is A Rock Hitting The Undercarriage.

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by quadcrazy, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Nov 19, 2018 at 12:50 PM
    quadcrazy

quadcrazy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hey all,

I'm new to offroading and to owning a Tacoma. I've got a 3rd Gen DCLB and am loving it. I go rock climbing often, and one spot in particular requires some very slow, decent-sized rock crawling for about 1.5 miles. I've been up and down this trail about 6 times now and still cannot tell what the noises are that I'm hearing. I've had at least 4-5 moments that basically sounded like a louder bang, and each time I was sure I hit something underneath. However, just yesterday I inspected the undercarriage thoroughly and cannot find any evidence of anything being hit. What am I hearing? The truck is still new, maybe I'm just paranoid.

2. Nov 19, 2018 at 12:53 PM
    Twizted

Twizted 1GR FE

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    America
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCLB TRD Locked 4WD & '17 Tundra DC SR5 TRD Offroad
    stock af, but hover if you think you disagree... RV living: Vagabond Drifter (6' bed) Custom bed cabinet buildout 175w Renogy solar panel 40a Rich Solar MPPT solar controller 1000w Wagan Pure Line inverter Lavaner Pro 2kw diesel heat exchanger Suspension/wheels: Toytec Aluma 2.5 front shocks with resis 13x700 coils (soon 14x700) Toytec Aluma 2.5 rear shocks SPC UCAs Deaver Stage 3 rear leaf springs Wheeler's 3 degree axle shims Wheeler's U-bolt flip Wheeler's Super Bumpstops 18"x9" XD Monster (x5) 275/75/18 Cooper ST MAXX (x5) EBC Stage 3 pads/rotors Electronics: Kenwood DNX773S iDatalink - Maestro RR Stubby Antenna No-name Switchback LEDs Hella Sharptone horns (no relay) Relocated backup camera w/DIY bracket Armor/recovery: BruteForceFab Rear HC w/swingout BAMF Sliders (DOM, 10 degree w/kick out, rattle-canned) BAMF IFS Skid (BAMF powder-coated) BAMF Mid Skid (BAMF powder-coated) BAMF TC Skid (BAMF powder-coated) BAMF LCA Skids (BAMF powder-coated) BAMF Rear Diff Skid (early model, powder-coated) BAMF CMC Plates US Offroad Winch Bumper Smittybilt X20 10k synthetic rope winch Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners ARB compressor w/air-up kit DIY cowl snorkel ARB rear air-locker Interior: Husky Floor Liners (F&R) Rear 40% seat-delete Hinged fridge platform in place of rear seat Exterior: CaliRaised Low-profile Ditch Light Brackets CaliRaised Side-projecting LED pods CaliRaised Faux TRD Pro Grille Morimoto amber LED fog lights One-of-a-kind 1GRFE plate (second iteration) Removed: OEM Bed Mat CaliRaised bed molle panels
  3. Nov 19, 2018 at 12:55 PM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    You're probably hitting rocks then. Not a huge deal though as you're obviously not doing too much damage, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to invest in some skid plates (at least the front one), maybe some rock sliders because rocker panels are expansive to fix. There are tons of black friday sales going on now so it's the perfect time to buy

Gunshot-6A likes this.
  4. Nov 19, 2018 at 3:25 PM
    quadcrazy

Member:
    Yeah. I feel like I would see something indicating a hit though... Maybe it's just rocks shifting, idk.

Gunshot-6A likes this.
  5. Nov 19, 2018 at 3:36 PM
    Ackrite

Ackrite Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1985 Toyota Pickup 4x4 single cab
    It is probably aliens.

6. Nov 20, 2018 at 5:16 PM
    Anderson

Anderson Dudemanbro

Member:
    First Name:
    Anderson
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    ProBro
    Stuff
    Place a go pro underneath. Don’t those 3rd gens have mounts for stuff like that?...

Wulf and Hyland33 like this.
  7. Nov 20, 2018 at 7:28 PM
    Frankenstuff

Frankenstuff Busy iracing

Member:
    First Name:
    Frankie
    Vehicle:
    16TRDORDCsb 4x4 & 2020 BMW M2 competition
    16 trd ORdcsb4x4 c4 swingout rear, cbi t3 front , arb lift,16"grabber x3 rtt, hilift,jerry cans,and sliders . 81 hilux trail donkey
    The diff?

8. Nov 20, 2018 at 7:33 PM
    TRD493

TRD493 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Texas (DFW)
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 / 01 4x4 V6 Extra Cab TRD SR5
    If you're hearing it, you're hitting it. Definitely invest in some skids and sliders.

jbrandt and Gunshot-6A like this.
  9. Nov 21, 2018 at 8:04 AM
    quadcrazy

Member:
    In the dash, yes. Not underneath the vehicle. But that's a good idea.

Possibly, yeah. I looked at it carefully and didn't see any signs of impact. Maybe it's just stronger than I give it credit for.

I've got a front skid, and plan on getting a skid for the transmission and transfer case very soon. Assuming I was hitting somewhere else, like maybe the diff, is that a huge no no? I try to go as slow as possible.

10. Nov 21, 2018 at 8:08 AM
    TRD493

TRD493 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Texas (DFW)
    Vehicle:
    I have a full set of skids.....but after crawling under the truck I think I'll be purchasing a set of LCA skids and possibly a rear diff skid.

11. Nov 21, 2018 at 8:21 AM
    quadcrazy

Member:
    Anything damaged to the point of breaking?

12. Nov 21, 2018 at 8:54 AM
    TRD493

TRD493 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Texas (DFW)
    Vehicle:
    No, but you can definitely see where I've hit both LCAs and the diff. I try to be careful when I'm out on the trails so if I do hit something it's not because I was bombing down the trail full speed ahead.

13. Dec 1, 2018 at 8:14 AM
    Colt0208

Colt0208 Active Member

Member:
    Delaware
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD Super White
    You sure you're not hearing your lower arms hitting the bumpstops up front? Shocks bottoming out?

14. Dec 3, 2018 at 8:20 AM
    quadcrazy

Member:
    Honestly, I'm not sure. Each time it has sounded like it came from roughly between the middle and back of the truck, so I don't think it's the LCAs. I also kind of doubt it's the shocks bottoming out just because I go extremely slow and really try not to come down hard on anything. I doubt I've applied enough force to bottom the shocks. Either way, I ordered some skids during black friday :)

EatSleepTacos likes this.
  15. Dec 3, 2018 at 8:24 AM
    Dalandser

Dalandser ¡Me Gustan Las Tacos-mas!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Regular Cab / 98 4x4 Extra Cab
    Empty Wallet Mod
    Par for the course when you're offroading. Measure your lowest point of clearance on the truck and keep a tape measure with you to measure obstacles in the road while you're off-roading next time to see how close you may come to scraping on them. I grew up driving off-road for weeks at a time during the summer growing up so it's second nature, but that's essentially what's going through my mind's eye when I'm off-roading. Alternatively have someone else drive slowly and walk around the truck and see what's happening when you hear certain noises, if you spend enough time doing that you'll start to see what things cause what noises.

DurtGrrl, quadcrazy[OP] and Wulf like this.
  16. Dec 5, 2018 at 8:12 AM
    quadcrazy

Member:
    Great idea, thanks!

17. Dec 14, 2018 at 1:53 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    @quadcrazy

Get yourself some real armor...

Ever look under there and notice how ridiculously unprotected your transmission pan is? And while you do have a front skid, it's laughably thin and isn't even called a skid plate (look in your manual, seriously). It's only designed to deflect road debris, not to bounce it off rocks. Any actual skid plate worth anything (for offroading) is made from at least 3/16" steel plate.

IMO, don't try and rely too much on a bunch of cameras and extra technology, though. That stuff can, and does break. Use a spotter. And, the more you drive, the more familiar you'll become with what your truck can, and can't do. I still surprise myself. I swear I'm going to hit something, and.... nothing. Then I'm cruising along not paying attention and BAM! oh, that was my diff or better yet my rocker panel, lol

EatSleepTacos and quadcrazy[OP] like this.
  18. Dec 19, 2018 at 8:16 AM
    quadcrazy

Member:

My truck came with the upgraded TRD Front Skid, it's the 1/4" aluminum. I know it isn't quite as strong as the steel but it's far better than the stock plate and it'll do for now. I just had the RCI tranny and tcase steel plates delivered and will be installing them this weekend.

jbrandt[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Dec 19, 2018 at 4:55 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    1/4" aluminum isn't too bad. It's definitely lighter than 3/16" steel, and if you aren't making a habit of beating on it, that should be okay.

Hopefully you are hitting your bump stops BEFORE the shocks bottom out. If you bottom your shocks out, they're F'd.

20. Dec 24, 2018 at 1:21 PM
    weldo

weldo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Pittsburgh, pa
    Vehicle:
    2014 base ac 2.7 5-speed 4x4
    Sometimes when my truck flexes out to the extremes of front suspension travel I hear a loud thunk sound. When I swapped the oem coils and bump stops for ORIs and Wheelers Super Bumps I noticed the thunk noise much less often. It may be the sound of the upper control arms hitting the coil spring during extreme articulation. Just an idea.

Products Discussed in

To Top