1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New to Tacomas, need advice for winter.

Discussion in 'North West' started by WestCoastBestCoast, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Dec 8, 2019 at 11:00 AM
    WestCoastBestCoast

WestCoastBestCoast [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wyn
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2005 SWB TRD 6MT 4x4
    How is the road noise on KO2s? As well as the gas mileage?

I'll probably have to look into snowflake symbol tires then. Sand bags I guess only when it snows. What is the consensus on TW about all terrains? Is there a favorite?

2. Dec 8, 2019 at 11:10 AM
    WestCoastBestCoast

Member:
    First Name:
    Wyn
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2005 SWB TRD 6MT 4x4
    I think one of my bigger worries is how close everybody follows up here. I definitely feel like I am going to get rear ended when it snows.

I'm still getting the stopping distances down since coming from the Subaru.

I'm headed up to Mt Hood next weekend, so I'll definitely practice when we're up there. Gonna take some getting used to.

I've got all those in the truck already, only one I don't is the Winch. I don't know if its in the budget right now after tires. Can't wait to take it out for some fun once the snow hits!

3. Dec 8, 2019 at 11:20 AM
    WrecklessAbandon

WrecklessAbandon They call me skippy

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Olympia, WA
    Crocs with socks
    As others have mentioned, the falken wildpeak at3w is a great tire and has the snowflake symbol. Still not a true winter tire but I have had great experiences with it in snow/slush/ice.

The Goodyear Wrangler duratrac is also highly recommended as an all terrain for snow use. These might be louder than the falkens due to the more aggressive tread pattern.

4. Dec 8, 2019 at 12:21 PM
    DavesTaco68

DavesTaco68 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Thompson, BC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD
    - ICON UCAs, BP51/Kings, SCS wheels, 285 KO2s, Leer 100XR canopy. Greenlane aluminum winch bumper, Smittybilt X20 winch.
    I get 17 avg with a small 2 inch lift, canopy and prob 60/40 city Hwy driving.
    Big hills where I live as well.
    I find them quiet, but for most tires it depends on the surface. It’s ashphalt where I live but on road trips to California or Vegas driving on concrete with the expansion joints I think just about any tire will seem louder.
    I think they are one of the best all round tires.

5. Dec 8, 2019 at 12:24 PM
    WrecklessAbandon

WrecklessAbandon They call me skippy

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Olympia, WA
    Crocs with socks
    After researching the tires you have, it looks like they have the snowflake symbol on them. Unless your tread is low you shouldn't need to replace them.

6. Dec 8, 2019 at 1:30 PM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    When I said Winch it was when you end up more then 100' off the road High centered so there is very little weight on any wheel.

AAA card is your friend!!

7. Dec 8, 2019 at 1:54 PM
    Skythings

Skythings Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Sport - Manual - Sky Silver
    LED Headlights Cali Raised Fog/Spots Cali Raised Behind Grill Light Bar Cali Raised Ditch Lights Tonneau Cover Focal High Fidelity Amp & Speakers Toyota Black Exhaust Tip Thinkware F800 Dashcam- Front & Rear Toyota rubber box mat Bug Deflector Billet Front Seat Risers Black Anodized Aluminum Radio Knob Set Glove Box Divider Armrest Tray
    I agree 100% - Many of the problems drivers encounter comes right down to driving habits. Don't use your brakes on ice unless you have too is a good start. Let your engine slow your momentum. Leave much more room between vehicles for stopping distance on icy roads. Avoid accelerating quickly especially on corners and bridge decks. Drive with your mind plotting 2 miles ahead of your current position so you can anticipate problems. Most accidents on highways occur at the point where conditions change. If it is snowing and the snow is melting I watch the outside temp gauge on my truck. Wet highway with the temp at just above the freezing point is a sure thing as the sun sets and the temp drops a couple degree's and the roads hit that magical point where driving too fast will bite and there are cars and 4x4 trucks in the ditch. Act vs re-acting is my motto.

I drive in western Canada where we get serious winter conditions at times. My current Tacoma is my 9th Toyota truck since 1983. I have always driven on the stock all season tires- no upgraded tires, no winter tires, the shitty tires everyone here complains about- thats what I drive on. I do not put sand in the back of my truck, however I do have a rubber bed mat and hardcover box cover which adds weight, but I believe is negligible. When the weather is shitty outside, drive like you have the Queen of England in the back seat and you will have no problems. It's driving attitude, not sandbags IMHO.

8. Dec 8, 2019 at 2:07 PM
    FastEddy59

FastEddy59 TTC #0061

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Smack, Dab in the middle of Winnipeg
    Vehicle:
    '13 Barc. Red Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Rigid 23004 Radiance light bar Cheap 3K 18W LED Fogs General AT-2's Pioneer AVH4200NEX w/ iDatalink JL XD5003V2 Focal 165KRX2's JL 10TW3 Arcticstart 803
    This^^^ kinda my old stompin' grounds too. :thumbsup: Yeah, attitude plays a lot. If you think a two wheel drive truck would have trouble gettin' through a 4X4 probably would. But there not for goin' where no man's been before.

9. Dec 8, 2019 at 7:18 PM
    Gerard6778

Gerard6778 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerard
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport
    I agree, there are many 4x4 and AWD vehicles in ditches, because many people think they don't need to slow down. 4x4 and AWD doesn't help when applying the brakes too hard or going around a corner too fast.
    I guess one of the biggest concerns should be the driver's experience in regard to snow and/or ice covered roads. I drive my front wheel drive Scion tC to work 45 miles, after it snows 4 plus inches, it has all season tires and I've never had a problem.

10. Dec 11, 2019 at 8:21 PM
    Buckstopper

Buckstopper Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Note that when the Oregon Dept of Transportation says "Chains or traction tires required" you have to have the mountain and snowflake symbol on the tires for them to count - check your tires to make sure the symbol is there. Plan on chaining up even if you have a 4x4 with all terrain or mud terrain tires without the symbol if you don't want a ticket.

I got Blizzaks on my truck last month and they got a workout over Thanksgiving when the "bomb cyclone" storm hit southern Oregon - I was in Klamath Falls and we had 8 to 10" of snow. The Tacoma actually did much better with the Blizzaks than my wife's Ford Escape AWD with studded snow tires.

.劉煒 likes this.
  11. Dec 11, 2019 at 9:24 PM
    WestCoastBestCoast

Member:
    First Name:
    Wyn
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2005 SWB TRD 6MT 4x4
    I was planning on picking up a set of chains this week, just in case. I think my tires have the snowflake symbol on them, but I'll have to double check in the morning.

12. Dec 11, 2019 at 9:39 PM
    ppham444

ppham444 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phuong
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2023 White TRD Off-Road doublecab
    I've been living in the Portland area for the past 39 years. I've never had to put sandbags in the back. Just good all-terrain tires, switch to 4wd, and go slow and steady. Usually we only have a couple of snowy days each year, so it's not a big deal. The only real problem you'll encounter are retards that have shit tires or don't know how to drive in the snow that screw up the commute.

13. Dec 12, 2019 at 11:30 AM
    .劉煒

.劉煒 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno DCSBTRDORMT
    Yeah, I was through kfalls that week as well. KO2s worked fine, had the truck on 4H most of that and didn't get unstable at all.

14. Dec 17, 2019 at 8:59 AM
    plurpimpin

plurpimpin Well-Known Member

Member:
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4x4
    I go up to Hood very frequently in the winter - over 100 days at Mount Hood Meadows last year. In my years of driving up there I've literally NEVER seen cops checking for chains... EVER. But the snowflake symbol does technically keep you legal so might as well get it if buying new tires but I wouldn't stress it if you don't.

I LOVE my duratracs in the snow. I have yet to come across a better tire in the snow without stepping up to dedicated winter tires. I run them year round and plan to get another pair once mine wear out (unless some new miracle all terrain that crushes snow even harder comes out in the next year)

Also OP where you moving from? If you're used to driving in the snow you have nothing to worry about. I'd take your coworkers' advice with a grain of salt, people in Portland are real wusses about the winter and suck at driving in the snow.

When I moved to town everyone told me how horrible/difficult the winters are and then it came around and I just thought really? All this hype for 50 degrees and drizzling? Most people that complain about it here haven't lived somewhere with real winters. Moving here from Wyoming winter is a cakewalk for me. A big snow in town can turn into a bit of a shitshow but that's due to all the idiots in their Prius with bald tires trying to get home, not that the road conditions are particularly treacherous. Plus it melts out in a day or two so not really a big deal, just a good excuse to stay home.

EDIT: also OP I think you're alittle misinformed about the use of 4wd on the road. It's totally fine to leave it in 4wd on the road as long as its slick (Ice, slush, or snow) on the road. You just don't wanna take turns on DRY pavement in 4wd. Last weekend going up to meadows i popped it in 4 wheel on my way up the pass to Government Camp and left it engaged until I got back down the mountain. I frequently drive my Girlfriend's sister's subaru in the snow when we need more seats and I HATE HATE HATE AWD compared to 4wd in the snow. I find proper 4wd much more pleasant/in control. I know there's power to all 4 wheels opposed to the computer deciding when and where to send the power. I've dealt with alot of stuck subarus on an icy road where the computer gets confused because every wheel is sliding and it just kills the power.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  15. Dec 17, 2019 at 10:50 AM
    WestCoastBestCoast

Member:
    First Name:
    Wyn
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2005 SWB TRD 6MT 4x4
    I moved from the Tahoe area, so I’m no stranger to bad road conditions. I’ll just have to keep an eye out for idiots in Priuses!
    And good to know about the 4wd. Coming from a Subaru I was worried that engaging the 4wd would somehow destroy it. Just neurotic i guess.
    Next set of tires I’ll have to check out the Duratracs.

16. Dec 17, 2019 at 10:53 AM
    .劉煒

.劉煒 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno DCSBTRDORMT
    ^ Yeah. If there's snow on the road you can stay in 4H, just watch the turns if you hit dry pavement because you don't want the transmission to bind up.

17. Dec 17, 2019 at 10:56 AM
    plurpimpin

plurpimpin Well-Known Member

Member:
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4x4
    You'll be just fine

18. Jan 2, 2020 at 11:40 PM
    dfulks

dfulks Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dillon
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road DCSB
    Just outside Portland and daily my Tacoma. Sand bags can be helpful, but are not necessity. Having the right tire is super helpful, I run Toyo AT2’s and they’re okay in wet, good for snow and dry. Air down if you have to and just take it easier on the throttle.

Products Discussed in

To Top