1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New to the site, throwing out questions!

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by 2015TRD, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Apr 14, 2015 at 1:15 PM
    2015TRD

2015TRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    Hey guys! I am in the process of buying my first Tacoma! 2015 TRD Sport. Love the truck!

First question- I am highly considering getting the TRD Supercharger- Is there a recommended amount of "break in miles" i need to put on the motor before installing?

Second Question- Is there anything i need to put on directly after installing or is it basically a plug in and ready to roll type deal?

I haven't asked about a price quote yet but from what i have read i will be getting one from a reputable sit and let the dealer install.

Thanks for all the help, look forward to a long life here on the site!

2. Apr 14, 2015 at 1:20 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    1. There is no break in period necessary since the engine is broken in from the factory.
    2. Bully dog is the only company that makes a tune that might work?
    And welcome to TW!

3. Apr 15, 2015 at 3:21 AM
    Brjw

Brjw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    I had mine installed at 230 miles. Plug and play. It is a factory accessory.

Eventually you might want to consider upgrading your fuel pump and some other odds and ends if you want more performance.

I paid $4900 for mine installed at the dealer (out the door). No taxes here. I also got them to include a rental car for a couple days while they did the work.

4. Apr 15, 2015 at 5:41 AM
    Conumdrum

Conumdrum Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma
    2WD Sport Nav SC V-6 Mall crawler Home Depot truck
    It works great. $4900 out the door is a great deal, I was at about $5900 and I got a rental. I got my truck in April, had the SC put on in December.

It's really best you read through ALL the threads here to get more info. Thankfully, this is the best forum, much more info than any other by a long shot.

Break in? Nope. Issues? Check for leaks every day on the intercooler water system daily for the first week, then every week, then for a month or two every few weeks. I had a clamp leaking on my reservoir, they fixed it. Never leaked, more like seeped.

You don't need to anything else unless you want to use the smaller pulley for more power. Then you'll need a better fuel pump. Before that, you should put a gauge in the truck to monitor for a lean fuel condition. It the engine goes lean... Easy boom, that's what they tell me if you have a SC.

Lastly, if Toyota installs it, it's covered for the full 3 years if your under warranty, otherwise it's just 12 months. I had bought a 8 year warranty, it's covered till then or lotsa miles, I'll never drive that many miles. There is a 100,000 mile service, also covered here. And plugs at 60k. I'm not sure what the dealer would charge for plug replacement at 60k? Not sure if it's 60k. It's a Fri^&&n Bit%^h to replace the plugs with a SC I hear. Some even just pull the SC off the block to do it. Pricey at a dealer. And the Belt ain't that good. Get a Gates spare, they mention it here. I ain't got one yet, but I only have 6900 miles, truck is just over a year old. I will put one in the garage, I promise TW!

So in summary:eek: It's expensive, you WILL hear it at 2500 RPM, you won't really notice at 2000 RPM coming off a stoplight accelerating normal. At 4000 like 3/4 throttle, ohh yea, it's quiet a bit louder than stock. It's also a hoot to drive, so much more responsive. Your gas mileage will drop depending on how you drive. You drive like Grandma, little change, buy a Prius next time. Your hard on the throttle, you'll be under 15 MPG easy.

Did I say it's awesome?

Ohh lastly your prices will vary. Check with ALL the dealers. One that has a SC in stock might have a clue. Talk to the tech, don't go to the dealer with the cheapest cost unless they are the best. Once you find your dealer then try to work em down. It's a 10 hr install by the books. One post here they quoted him $600, then had to call him and say "umm, we had no clue"... Price UP! That guy picked the wrong dealership. Bet that was their first SC install. Bad Mojo.

I like my SC, hope yours is a good as mine.

5. Apr 15, 2015 at 5:43 AM
    Conumdrum

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma
    Ohh the SC stickers that come with the kit suck. Just stay stealth.

Ohh, if the dealer gets a kit from TRDDallas that you buy (best price), they might jack up the install costs. I had 4 dealerships, they went from clueless to no way, to silly prices for everything, to adding over $500 to install costs, and being somewhat reasonable. You have a bit of power depending what dealer you are going to. You can't get the SC before you buy it, so work with them for the dealership with the most experience with the SC and the best price. Don't rush it.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  6. Apr 15, 2015 at 11:38 AM
    2015TRD

2015TRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    Thanks Conumdrum! Very very insightful information there. You got me even more pumped up about it now. I will def look around at places to purchase the SC but def will have them install. Thanks again, if you dont mind if i have any more questions i may PM you if there is an option for that on this site?

7. Apr 15, 2015 at 1:31 PM
    Conumdrum

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma

Products Discussed in

To Top