1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New to this; Need help with a lift.

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by JakeyWakey, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Jan 28, 2013 at 2:39 PM
    JakeyWakey

JakeyWakey [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    12' MGM TRD Sport AT
    ...Put a Buckeye sticker in the back window.
    I apologize as I know there are already many posts regarding what lifts are good and what not, but I know next to nothing about lift and I was hoping some of you guys and girls can help me build some confidence in making the right purchase.

I've got a 2012 DC TRD Sport Limited

I really, really like S7ICKlVlAN's lift, which I believe is Old Man Emu 885 coils with Bilstein 5100's in the front and rear with Toytecs 2" AAL in the rear. I was also going to purchase the top spacers for the 885's from Toytec to give it a full 3" lift.

Again, I'm pretty new to this whole thing and I'm tired of just browsing TW and drooling over everyones rides, and really the lift is the only mod that I'm completely in the dark about.

Also if anyone in Ohio knows of a great place to do the install, I'd like to know.

Thanks for all of your help, and sorry about the long post.

2. Jan 28, 2013 at 2:43 PM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    That is a very common setup here and it is a good choice. There is a good chance you will need aftermarket upper control arms to correct you alignment after the lift. They add caster. Check out SPC light racing upper control arms (LR UCAs) the best price i know of is headstrong offroad, $375 shipped.

3. Jan 28, 2013 at 2:49 PM
    JakeyWakey

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    12' MGM TRD Sport AT
    Thank you, I will probably purchase those now too. I budgeted myself for around $1,000 and I'm coming in well under that right now.

4. Jan 28, 2013 at 2:53 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    The install is pretty easy if your mechanically inclined. Even if you don't have the tools it might be worth investing in some and doing it yourself. If you do end up doing it yourself i would recomend having toytec pre assemble the shocks and springs for the extra $100.

5. Jan 28, 2013 at 2:59 PM
    JonnyBb

JonnyBb I have to return some videotapes

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport DC LB 4x4
    Work in progress, but installed so far; 265/70/17 Duratracs, Spidertrax, OME885X coils with OME lean spacer, OME N140S and N182 shocks, Wheeler's 1.5" 3 Leaf Progressive AAL (kept the overload), LR UCAs. TP14 spacers
    X2... Here are a couple of good install threads

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/54186-aal-install-second-gen-16.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/su...lls-full-ome-kit-rear-brake-lines-pics-6.html

6. Jan 28, 2013 at 3:00 PM
    JakeyWakey

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    12' MGM TRD Sport AT
    I was already planning on having them do that as well, Thanks for helping me out, I mean I kinda already knew what I wanted, just had no idea if it was the right stuff.

7. Jan 28, 2013 at 3:05 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Are you ordering as a kit or are you piecing everything together?

8. Jan 28, 2013 at 3:10 PM
    JonnyBb

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport DC LB 4x4
    Work in progress, but installed so far; 265/70/17 Duratracs, Spidertrax, OME885X coils with OME lean spacer, OME N140S and N182 shocks, Wheeler's 1.5" 3 Leaf Progressive AAL (kept the overload), LR UCAs. TP14 spacers
    Not to complicate your decision but a 3 leaf progressive AAL gives a smooth ride. Bought mine from wheelers offroad. They sell a heavy duty version now too.

9. Jan 28, 2013 at 3:11 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    ^good advice. Seems like everyone with that AAL loves it.

10. Jan 28, 2013 at 3:13 PM
    JonnyBb

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport DC LB 4x4
    Hey OP, you tow or haul a lot?

11. Jan 28, 2013 at 3:21 PM
    JakeyWakey

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    12' MGM TRD Sport AT
    Jonny Not really at the moment, I actually wouldn't haul or tow anything, unless it was helping a friend move or tailgating for concerts and sporting events.

Evan I'm kind of piecing everything together, seeing where I can get the most cost effective parts, Toytec, Wheelers, and Down South are the main three that I've been browsing around.

12. Jan 28, 2013 at 3:23 PM
    MJM777

MJM777 Well-Known Member

Member:
    N.E. Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB 4x4 Sport
    sub'd

13. Jan 28, 2013 at 3:28 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    I ordered my full OME lift from downsouth, their customer service is awesome. The reason i asked if you are ordering a kit or piecing it together is because you will need to make sure you get all the smaller parts. Like longer u-bolts, Either shims or a carrier bearing drop to help eliminate driveshaft vibrations, im sure im missing some stuff maybe someone else can help out, longer studs for top plate? Longer centering pin for leaf springs? Not sure...i dont know as much about bilsteins and AALs. I went with all old man emu and dakar leaf pack.

14. Jan 28, 2013 at 3:33 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Heres my take on the 3 main vendors here.

Downsouth - awesome customer service and the best prices on certain kits (free shipping!) but they are more geared towards the high end suspension.

Toytec - a little more expensive, but they cater more towards the basic lifts like the ones we are talking about, they make it very easy to get everything you need in one place without having to know about every little detail and part in the kit

Wheelers - i dont know to much about wheelers besides they are very helpful if you have any questions, they also have some of the best prices (assemble shocks/springs for $50 vs $100 at toytec)

Then for ordering light racing UCAs im pretty sure headstrong offroad has the best price

15. Jan 28, 2013 at 3:38 PM
    JakeyWakey

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    12' MGM TRD Sport AT
    Evan The one reason I was going to purchase the shocks and coils from Toytec is the fact that they will pre install them together, but you're right about all the little extras.. I need to find a kit that has everything. You're a pretty big help man, Thank you :cheers:

16. Jan 28, 2013 at 3:39 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    No problem :thumbsup:

To Top