1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New to towing - safety and equipment questions (2015 Tacoma, v6, tow package)

Discussion in 'Towing' started by RocksAndTractor, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Apr 13, 2021 at 9:00 AM
    RocksAndTractor

RocksAndTractor [OP] New Member

Member:
    Purchased a v6 2015 Tacoma with the optional Toyota tow package. We've used it for light towing (4x8 trailer), but our trailer isn't wide or long enough to transport the tractor when it needs serviced, so we just started looking at (used) larger trailers. Tractor is a Kubota BX22, sometimes has to be moved with loader and backhoe attached so maybe 3500-3600 lbs.

One appealing option is a dual-axle dump trailer, 6x10 bed - just big enough for the tractor, and when not hauling the tractor, we could also use it to get gravel to re-grade our roadway. One used trailer was listed as "9,980 lb. GVWR" (as a newbie, that is confusing because I thought the GVWR referred to the vehicle, not the trailer?).
    Example of the type of trailer we are looking at (the Felling, specs are at the bottom of the page): https://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equipment/detail/1412/0241810/4-yard-tandem-axle-dump-trailer-10k/

Based on what I've read so far, we'd need a brake controller installed; does that mean running a new line from the front all the way to the trailer plug/tailgate area?

I don't know offhand and can't find what was included in the Toyota tow package - how do I verify it it included a stabilizer or hitch weight distribution?

As we've never explored heavy towing more before, how do I calculate whether I can safely tow the tractor & trailer weight, and if I do get gravel, how much I can get at one time and still be safe?

Are there tricks to calculating actual/live tongue weight, both for tractor placement and also to make sure we don't go over (even if the total weight is within the tow weight limit)?

Thank you for your expertise and insight!

2. Apr 15, 2021 at 4:55 AM
    Heyyo_Friday

Heyyo_Friday Will post memes for truck parts

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Dfw, texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB SR5 V6
    CSF T4R/FJ radiator
    Even on trailers they refer to as GVWR. Guess it just makes it easier.

As far as brake controllers go. On factory tow package trucks theyre pre-wired for a brake controller. The connector is tapped up with the harness above the emergency brake. The trucks shipped with a pigtail that plugs into it and you'll wire in your preferred flavor of controller. Sometimes parts stores also could keep that connector if you need it immediately/want to score it local. If you don't mind waiting etrailer.com will often sell plug and plug brake controllers for our trucks. The red circle is where it is on my 14 im fairly sure.20210409_195720.jpg

Aquatic Tacoma likes this.
  3. Apr 15, 2021 at 5:08 AM
    jake72

jake72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    N.E. PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd off-road dcsb mt
    You would be pushing it with that trailer, short distance maybe. I think your tractor with loaded tires is closer to 2800-2900lbs.

4. Apr 15, 2021 at 5:37 AM
    onesojourner

onesojourner Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Ozarks
    Vehicle:
    I've hauled a similar sized tractor with my third gen 4runner. It's not something I would do everyday but it wasn't bad.

Just make sure you have the proper equipment.

5. Apr 15, 2021 at 5:45 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
  6. Apr 15, 2021 at 6:14 AM
    Spindifferent

Spindifferent Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner 4.0 v6
  7. Apr 15, 2021 at 7:11 PM
    Aquatic Tacoma

Aquatic Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Odessa, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 Dbcb , 2004 Tacoma S-Runner
    Both are Stock - built correct from the start.
    Wow, lots of questions.
    Wiring answered above.
    WDH and stabilizer:
    My owners manual, 2019, states requirement for stabilizer for any trailer over 2000 lbs, WDH for anything over 5000 lbs. As stated above Etrailer.com is a wealth of info. Plus their customer service tech line is great. I run a Fastway E2 WDH. A WDH is not part of the truck, it’s what slides into the hitch receiver on the truck. It has built in sway control so no need to add additional.
    Weight: Google states 2700 for your tractor. With attachments and trailer you’ll be close, probably overweight for the Tacoma.
    You need a bigger truck.

Heyyo_Friday likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top