1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Toyota Prius

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by BreezyTaco, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Jun 14, 2010 at 11:33 AM
    BreezyTaco

BreezyTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Pioneer Indash GPS, JL Audio Speakers, FM Alarm, Euro Tail lights, Blue Dash Lights, Trailor Hitch, Painted Fiberglass A.R.E. Tonneau Cover
    I just bought my wife a 2009 Toyota Prius, it has 39k on it, got it for 17 out the door, with a new key being made, ozoned, detailed, and tinted windows getting all put together tomorrow (15June). She loves it, and glad I could make her birthday a good one...I put my trust back into Toyota, and hopefully this works out for the long run. My wife had just wrecked our 04 Toyota Matrix about two weeks ago, so this should make a good replacement.:) Any insight or info on these cars would be great.

2. Jun 14, 2010 at 11:41 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR
    back to bone stock.
    no first hand experience, but i talked to a body shop guy. the prius takes a hit horribly. he said all the lightweight stuff, makes it very easy to "total".

my wife wants one. my bro in law is driving a 1st gen into the ground. zero issues. amazing.

3. Jun 14, 2010 at 11:44 AM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2010DCSB4X4TRDORMGM
    See build thread.
    By take a hit horribly, do you mean they just get crushed? Or don't crush at all?
    Cars today are built to crush easily under impact to absorb most of the impact.

When I go on MVAs with moderate damage most people freak out cause they see how fucked their cars are, but its just cause they are built to crumple up.

If a car takes a hit and sustains major damage and their isn't any or minimul passenger compartment intrusion, the car has done its job.

4. Jun 14, 2010 at 11:51 AM
    BreezyTaco

Member:
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Pioneer Indash GPS, JL Audio Speakers, FM Alarm, Euro Tail lights, Blue Dash Lights, Trailor Hitch, Painted Fiberglass A.R.E. Tonneau Cover
    It was tested at five stars I think, and four stars roll-over but only because that is the highest it goes, it comes with all the airbags and stuff, but hopefully we don't wreck this one!

5. Jun 14, 2010 at 11:52 AM
    aficianado

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    back to bone stock.
    i understand crumple zones..the bodyshop guys said..i mild accident that a regular car does..gets a few thousand in repairs.. a prius..same accident..goes byebye. just second hand info here.. again. no experience.

6. Jun 14, 2010 at 11:56 AM
    BreezyTaco

Member:
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Oh well, my matrix was hit by a truck going 30 mph, and it was totaled, the good thing about the car getting totaled is that I didn't have to pay the premium, but that is why we have insurance, just have to be more careful on the road.

7. Jun 14, 2010 at 12:07 PM
    aficianado

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    back to bone stock.
    yea...i probably have a prius in my future soon. my wife really wants one..i dont mind. it gives me for room to increase my carbon footprint!! i drove one for months at work. i liked it. great not having to pull over for fuel all the time.

oh, that oil filter is much more difficult to reach. my tacoma has me spoiled. i change the oil for my wife's friend. her's is a 2008.

8. Jun 14, 2010 at 12:14 PM
    BreezyTaco

Member:
    Corpus Christi, TX
    I got five years of maintenance on my prius so won't have to worry about that!!! Just take it to Toyota every five months and they change the oil, filter, inspect, rotate tires, and top off fluids.

To Top