1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Transmission and transfer case at 67K

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by CUTiger, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Mar 29, 2012 at 3:48 PM
    CUTiger

CUTiger [OP] New Member

Member:
    Simpsonville, SC
    Vehicle:
    08 DoubleCab
    My 2008 Tacoma turned 67k on the way to the shop for a noise coming from the transmission. The whine started in Feb. I originally thought it was the throw out bearing. After changing that out and the sound was still there, I new I had more severe problems. I serviced the transmission and noticed the oil level was very low and smelled burnt. I took the truck to Toyota of Greenville (SC). Their assessment was "internal bearing failure" and said it would be $5000. I appealed to them and to corporate customer care to cover this under warranty....after exhausting that with much frustration, I took the truck to a reputable transmission service shop. He quickly diagnosed the problem (as I suspected) it was gear whine. The transmission had run low of oil and overheated the gears. He pulled the transmission and found the splines to the transfer case were almost worn through. There was gear oil in the cavity between the transmission and transfer case. He noted that it appeared that an o-ring was missing between the two. I have looked around the forums and I haven't seen anything else like this. Has anyone else seen this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mar 29, 2012 at 6:07 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Looks like it had water in it at some point.

Products Discussed in

To Top