1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Truck: ABS Brakes don't seem to work right.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TacomaMarc, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Oct 1, 2016 at 2:28 AM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    Did you ever have a zero point calibration done on the truck?

Look it up, it cost nothing but a little bit of research.

2. Oct 1, 2016 at 2:33 AM
    TacomaMarc

TacomaMarc [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Ogden, UT
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4WD
    I haven't had a zero point calibration done on this truck. I will have to give that a try.

Thanks.

3. Oct 1, 2016 at 11:50 PM
    TacomaMarc

TacomaMarc [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Ogden, UT
    Vehicle:
    Sorry to ask another question but what exactly is a zero point calibration and what do I need buy in order to do a zero point calibration. I admit that I had to google the term zero point calibration but the results I received were not too helpful. I assume that this can be accomplished without taking it to a shop with the right equipment. Are there instructions on how to do this? If I'm not comfortable doing it myself can any mechanic perform a zero point calibration or do I need to take it to a dealer?

4. Oct 2, 2016 at 12:09 AM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    No problem. I'm gonna ask a question of my own.

Does this truck have any sort of front end lift beyond factory?

There could be an issue with the yaw sensor. Think of a ball bearing in a saucer. if the saucer is tipped, the truck computer thinks the truck is stopping in an abnormal state, thus you get your sensitive brakes.

The home remedy to adjust the yaw sensor is to shim the side that is lower. Usually a couple of washers. Its located under the console. The correct method is to have the dealer adjust it with the Toyota Tech Stream software.

Please do not be offended, but the procedure to correct these 2 things may need to be performed by the dealer in your case. Its not a real big job, but it goes much faster with access to the dealership diagnostic software. They plug their computer into your truck and make program changes to fix these issues. In my opinion, it should not take a tech much more than an hour.

Unfortunately, the Toyota dealer is the only shop that has the computer program to do this work(in most cases).

5. Oct 2, 2016 at 3:27 PM
    TacomaMarc

TacomaMarc [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Ogden, UT
    Vehicle:
    Thanks again for your help. To the best of my knowledge there weren't any changes done to the front end beyond the factory. Is it possible that for some reason it's yaw sensor wasn't adjusted correctly after it left the factory. I don't have any problems taking it to the dealer to have this done. Should I tell them that it needs a zero point calibration or should I mention the brake problems such as inconsistent braking where the brakes stop shorter or longer than normal in some situations? They have dismissed it as normal but initially I thought this was just the ABS system when I explained it to them and they probably checked and confirmed the ABS system is working correctly. It appears more of a braking system issue given my stopping distances vary and sometimes my truck will stop shorter or longer than normal and I'm concerned that I'm inadvertently brake checking cars behind me and could potentially stop longer than normal and hit the car in front of me.

Products Discussed in

To Top