1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New truck, couple questions

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Joey_bollasina, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Apr 30, 2015 at 8:49 PM
    Joey_bollasina

Joey_bollasina [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma Prerunner
    Just got a 2000 tacoma, bought it as is, with 144k on it, first question is, is it a trd? it had no badges and the guy didn't know much but it does have the diff locker, another question has to do with when i turn on the blinker over and only over 60 mph to the left or right it revs funny, i have researched and some are saying a short with the cruise but the cruise will stay on, another is the moving gear selector (its an auto) i have also researched and have found it to be "normal" but i just wanted to double check and finally it makes a vibrating noise every other time i put it into gear and when it idles at exactly 900 rpm's, but goes away as soon as i give it any throttle, any input is welcome, as well with helpful tips i should do and things to look out for, i like this truck a lot more then my other one and i hope to keep it my truck for a lot longer time

2. Apr 30, 2015 at 9:03 PM
    millertime89

millertime89 Flatlander

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    Yes sir
    Can't say I know, but I'll bump it up for a new tacoma owner!

3. May 1, 2015 at 5:45 PM
    TimPall13

TimPall13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Gresham Oregon
    Vehicle:
    3link SAS 02 SR5 Limited V6
    Lift: TrailGear 3link SAS with Fox 2.0 Coil overs in front. Custom Alcan Leafs with relocated Fox 2.0 shocks in rear. Sitting at 6in of lift. Armor: Relentless Fab Front bumper with home made hoops and Warn VR Evo 10s winch. Relentless Fab Rear bumper with swingout gate. Gears/Grip: 4.88 gears with ARB Air lockers front and rear. 35x12.5 Mickey Thimpson Baja Boss MTs on 17in Trail Ready Beadlock wheels. Lighting: 6000k 55w HID head lights in Retrofit Prejectors, KC Slim Light LEDs behind a Grillcraft grill and on CBI windshield mounts, And LED rock Lights. Performance: 6" deckplate mod, URD Crank Pulley, K&N air filter, ISR mod, and a AirRaid throttle body spacer, magnaflow muffler. Audio: Alpine speakers and sub running on a Alpine 5ch amp. All ran with Stinger wire kit, and a Pioneer AVH4100NEX DVD receiver. Extras: 15% Window Tint, Spray in bed liner, LineX coated factoey fender flares, Custom Roof rack/Track system, SoftTopper Canopy, Viair Dual 444c Onboard air with dual 2.5Gal tanks.
    Welcome to Tacoma world! As for the TRD, easiest way to tell is call local toyota dealer and read them your VIN and they can tell you what options it had from factory. If it wasnt factory TRD then pervious owner may have put a TRD rear axle with the locker in. The TRD model came with the rear dif locker, and bilstein shocks. As for the blinker... not too sure. And as for the idle, my first step woulkd be check all your vacume lines. At idle a leak can cause it to idle rough. Besides those just check fluid and should last! best of luck!

Tim

4. May 1, 2015 at 6:28 PM
    Joey_bollasina

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma Prerunner
    It's not so much a rough idle but I can hear a vibrating coming from the sc area, could it be a bad bearing or something? And I doubt he put the locker in and I will check the shocks for brand Tommorow, also more on the locker when can I use it and when can I not?

5. May 1, 2015 at 7:54 PM
    sente3

sente3 -

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    North Jersey
    Vehicle:
    '04 Xtracab 4x4 V6 5-Speed TRD SR5
    Sliders, rear bumper, front skid, lifted
    I've got a subscription to Auto Check right now (and may renew until I finally buy a truck) so if you want me to run the VIN for you, just ask.

6. May 1, 2015 at 8:39 PM
    Joey_bollasina

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma Prerunner
    That would be nice, I ran it and got back Tacoma pre runner but I'm not paying for any service

7. May 1, 2015 at 8:52 PM
    sente3

sente3 -

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    North Jersey
    Vehicle:
    '04 Xtracab 4x4 V6 5-Speed TRD SR5
    Sliders, rear bumper, front skid, lifted
    I would never pay for a single report. And I only have a subscription (30 days, unlimited reports) because there haven't been any VIN checkers on one of my regular sites lately, so I took over the position, since I have had plenty checked for me. Just drop the VIN in here or in a PM (conversation?) and I can give you the report in a few seconds.

8. May 1, 2015 at 10:43 PM
    Twitch.

Twitch. Well-Known Member

Member:
    does it have the brush guards underneath?

9. May 2, 2015 at 5:17 AM
    Joey_bollasina

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma Prerunner
    I don't think so

10. May 2, 2015 at 7:11 AM
    Twitch.

Twitch. Well-Known Member

Member:
    Not a trd then, I had a guy in Denver try to sell me a truck said it was trd said it had been de-badged I say ok let me test drive it... straight to the toyota dealership... I am glad I did, they started laughing when they saw the truck. It was not a trd was not an sr5 and the 4wd would grind something horrible every time it was engaged. Rear axle was leaking a cracked, not even sure how this was accomplished. It was sad too because the original owner had the underneath rubberized, the dealership said that wasn't a cheap do either and it was only a 2 owner truck according to car fax had 89k miles on it very sad now that I think about it, but hey I think I got a great truck after searching for 6 months and countless trips to denver the toyota dealership in denver felt bad for me so they only charged me the 100 inspection fee once every truck after that they looked at for free and i brought them at least 10

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  11. May 3, 2015 at 4:24 PM
    Joey_bollasina

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma Prerunner
    so i checked and have no guards other than the front brush guard and the tank skid, but it does have the bilstein shocks, this leads me to believe it is a trd, but still not entirely sure

12. May 4, 2015 at 6:32 AM
    Joey_bollasina

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma Prerunner
    So I have a question about the diff locker, is it supposed to stay blinking when I turn it on, and say I'm off road and want to go in some mud, as long as I turn it on before moving can the wheels move as fast as I want them to as long as I stay off pavement and avoid sharp turning

Products Discussed in

To Top