1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New truck, hasn't ran in awhile

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Elyx, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Jun 10, 2011 at 8:59 PM
    Elyx

Elyx [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Malachi
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    98 Standard
    None
    First time posting in the forum, thanks ahead of time for all the great DIY articles. Really enjoying the wealth of info here on the forums.

I recently acquired a 98 standard truck from my brother (just picked it up tonight actually). he was the original purchaser, currently has 44k miles on it (still smells new inside). Everything stock except the canopy.

Here's my first concern: it's got 3/4 of a tank of 3 yr old gas, and I'm currently at work, have about 20m drive home afterwords. it runs rough, but it is running, no dying...pops a bit if i push it hard up a hill...is it safe to drive it home? My brother said he put a few gallons of 92 octane in the tank. Would it help at all if I added an octane booster or perhaps Mobil formula 1 to the tank? Once i get home i can drain the tank and put decent gas in it. just want to make sure im not going to kill my new truck on the drive :)

on the eubject of the gas tank. is there a drain valve, or am I goign to have to find the lowest hose in the system and open it up?

Anything else I should be looking at? truck averaged 4k miles a year, usually driven locally if at all. last 3 yrs ws bottled up in a garage (still have a ton of spiderwebs in the bed and canopy).

Once the weekend hits, I plan on giving it a thorough review and tune-up, but im constrained for the next 2 days with 12 hr shifts for work. anything i can do through sunday afternoon will have to be in a 1/5hr window after I wake up.

thanks guys :) looking forward to many years on the forums

2. Jun 11, 2011 at 4:10 AM
    bicklebok

bicklebok Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronnie
    Montgomery, AL
    Vehicle:
    2000 Xtra Cab 4x4 SR5
    I would also run some Sea Foam through it.

3. Jun 11, 2011 at 4:28 AM
    2008taco

2008taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    san diego
    If you do nothing else before you drive it home, change the oil. Oil goes bad over time (most manufactuers recommend 6 months max. I'd drain the gas out as soon as I could, should be fine for the drive home, but I'd avoid it if you could. Sea foam as mentioned would be a good place to start. Also carry a fuel filter and the tools you need to change it with you for a few months until you've run a few tanks through it. Sediment, rust, sludge, etc from the old gas can clog the filter and leave you stranded (And driving home with a hose going from the fuel pump to a gas can isn't fun...I know) Check all your hoses and belts. Make sure your fluids are topped off, and changed them all as soon as you can.

4. Jun 11, 2011 at 6:31 AM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
  5. Jun 11, 2011 at 7:46 PM
    Elyx

Elyx [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Malachi
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    98 Standard
    None
    thanks for the great replies guys :) got it home relatively well (drained to 1/3 tank, refilled with decent gas). Techron added to this tank...ill probably to a new tank with seafoam this weekend (1 more shift to go), in addition to the oil and water.

Mild vibration in the steering when I drive...Ill prob get an alignment check when time becomes available. tires almost look brand new..with the exception of sitting in storage for 3+ yrs. anyone have any idea of how big i can go on a standard RWD with wheel/tire without serious rubbing? don't plan on doign anything harsher then drive to work with this truck and an occasional road trip, but the stock size tires look just a bit too spindly on this body. something bigger would be nice, but don't want to go over board.

ordering an Ultragauge...my check engine light is on (go figure...just ran some 3 yr old gas through the system). Not blinking tho, think ill get everything tuned up before really digging into codes and possible o2sensors/cats/whatever.

Everything else seems to be doing well. there's a slight 'clunky' feel to the front suspension when I go over bumps. Don't know how else to describe it. feel it through the steering column, though the steering column itself feels very solid. perhaps suspension bushings that are simply old? And ideas on that would be appreciated. thanks for the tips guys!

6. Jun 11, 2011 at 10:32 PM
    Jerry Bear

Jerry Bear Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Mesquite, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab
    tint, topper, receiver hitch, trailer wiring, topper lighting, cruise control, intermittent wipers, backup camera, auto-dim mirror
    Like they said...

If that model has a steel gas tank, be prepared to change the fuel filter a few times as the new gas cleans the rust from the inside of the gas tank.

7. Jun 11, 2011 at 10:39 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    You should be able to run a 31" tire with no rubbing issues

8. Jun 16, 2011 at 3:47 AM
    Elyx

Elyx [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Malachi
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    98 Standard
    None
    soudns great guys. oil..check. multiple fuel filters, check (2) replacing first one this weekend after a full tank of gas with seafoam. already running smoother.

31's sounds nice. time to start looking for a decent wheel/tire combo.

9. Jun 16, 2011 at 4:14 AM
    paul's08

paul's08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    indiana
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport
    If this truck sat for 3 years, the tires might have aquired flat spots. that could cause the mild stearing wheel vibration.

10. Jun 16, 2011 at 5:19 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.

31's are a stock size on 6 lugs from that year. You should be able to go to 32's on stock height.

Products Discussed in

To Top