1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Truck Quirks...Are these normal?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TacoBo, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Jan 13, 2009 at 3:08 PM
    DEPJDMALONE

DEPJDMALONE Member

Member:
    ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 Silver TRD Double Cab
    Well I had to go across town, so I started my truck up to warm up. When I went back out to get in it, I stopped and listened and heard a tick, tick, tick, sound. Still can't confirm anything about the windows because it is 19 degrees right now.

2. Jan 13, 2009 at 3:14 PM
    sAm I aM

sAm I aM Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x2
    Flowmaster .50 ries xhaust, K&N Filter
    I have the ticking sound. The window rattle I thought was the rain guards I installed but now you have me wondering. I don't really notice the trans problem but I do notice a sort of thump sometimes when I break hard. ??? Read about it somewhere in the formus and I think its pretty common also. Most of the squeaks and rattles annoy me so I just keep the volume up on the stero. :)

3. Jan 13, 2009 at 3:41 PM
    santacruzer

santacruzer Active Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Double Cab TRD
    I've noticed the braking situation a little, but my big bitch is when the rear windows of my '09 DC are down, even part way. It's not so much a rattle as a harmonic air thumping. Not really loud, but definitely noticeable. You can almost feel it, like a rapid air pressure variance. My '01 DC never did this. My dog rides in the back, so the windows are down a lot. He never complains, though!

4. Jan 13, 2009 at 7:22 PM
    TacoBo

TacoBo [OP] Active Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    08 4X4 TRD Off Road
    TRD Skid Plate, Tacoma Running Boards, Tuffy Bed Security Lock Box, Spare Tire Lock, Door Sill Protectors, Toyota D-Rings in gthe front of the bed.
    Man, I think I opened up a can of worms on the window thing. I bet there's a lot of guys up north just waiting for that first warm day to test this issue out!

5. Jan 13, 2009 at 7:28 PM
    Lentsnh

Lentsnh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,
    like when you are at a complete stop it shifts to 1st with a jerk/ lurch forward.

6. Jan 13, 2009 at 7:37 PM
    Soundwave

Soundwave Well-Known Member

Member:
    B.C. Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD sport Double Cab 4x4
    OEM Roof rack
    I have read that Premium fuel is a good idea for the 4.0L and good oil is always a good idea. I would not be happy with window rattles, that should be taken care of by Toyota. My 06 F150 windows rattled a bit when rolled half way down too, but I expected things like that from a Ford. Not a Toyota.

7. Jan 27, 2009 at 12:05 PM
    TacoBo

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    08 4X4 TRD Off Road
    TRD Skid Plate, Tacoma Running Boards, Tuffy Bed Security Lock Box, Spare Tire Lock, Door Sill Protectors, Toyota D-Rings in gthe front of the bed.
    Well, tomorrow's the day for the anticipated oil change and service. One more thing I'm adding to my list of issues for them to look at now is the looseness in the steering wheel while in 4WD. I've noticed this looseness, or slack in the steering in two wheel drive when crossing speed bumps for example. It almost feels like there is slack in the steering assembly which makes the wheel feel as if it catches hard or thumps when you hit a bump hard. Anyway, I don't know if this is normal or not.

Any thoughts on whether I should bring this up to the dealership. I have a feeling they're going to keep my truck until June to fix all of these issues at this point. Hopefully, they'll at least give me a loaner if they do keep it.

8. Feb 16, 2009 at 12:59 PM
    TacoBo

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    08 4X4 TRD Off Road
    Ok, the dealership fixed the window rattle on all my windows! I'm not sure what they did, but the rubber window track which is visible on the outside and inside of the truck looks new. The windows seem much tighter now and the truck almost seems quiter in relation to wind noise at speed. The rattles have ceased, but I'm not sure for how long. As far as the rest of the crap, they said that was normal. I guess I'll have to consider this a win despite the fact that the engine is far too noisy, the trasmission thing pisses me off to no end.

9. Feb 16, 2009 at 2:38 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    Nothing really to worry about. My truck has done a couple of those things. I know their is a fix for your windows under the mods section...enjoy the truck!:D

10. Mar 5, 2009 at 7:06 PM
    scooter82

scooter82 Member

Member:
    northern VA
    Vehicle:
    06 double cab v6 4x4
    truxedo cover, trd air filter
    I have an 06 double cab with 35K miles
    1) never noticed window rattles, drive with them down all the time in summer
    2) Engine does tick a little at idle. I've heard it's common with aluminum engines, noticed it in other tacomas and also on GM's 5.3L - used to work at a Chevy Dealership
    3) I think the trans is programmed to downshift when braking, I have also noticed this at times but mine does not seem to be jerky

11. Mar 5, 2009 at 7:27 PM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    I have an 09 DCSB.

I have the ticking sound in the engine (I believe its from the valve train).

I have not had the windows down as it's too cold out. That would bother me though. Just leave them up and turn on the air!

The engine braking as been hard to get used to. I started a thread because mine was so severe. Happened yesterday...I was coasting down a hill and it downshifted. I watched the RPM's go from 2000 - 3250 when it happened. I gave it a little gas and it shifts back. I believe it's the brake assist kicking in. Wish I could turn it off!

12. Mar 5, 2009 at 9:26 PM
    tacoholic

tacoholic Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Bay, CA
    Ouch! That doesn't sound normal in any way shape or form. If that's a regular thing I'd have the dealer check it out.

Products Discussed in

To Top