1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Truck Wondering

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Aquatic Tacoma, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Oct 19, 2018 at 5:54 PM
    Aquatic Tacoma

Aquatic Tacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Odessa, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 Dbcb , 2004 Tacoma S-Runner
    Both are Stock - built correct from the start.
    We've been thinking about going new. Stopped by the local dealer today. Checked out a new Taco Limited. I was less than dazzled. Yes, it had a lot of bells and whistles. And it smelled "new car" new. But I was glad to get back in my 2003. Maybe like a good worn pair of shoes. My son had a second gen he tried talking me into when he moved up to his 2017 Tundra. I didn't care for that gen either. I'll be sticking with my "old" truck for the time being.
    I was wondering how many have tried out a new Tacoma to end up keeping their 1st gen.

2. Oct 20, 2018 at 6:19 AM
    IFGD

IFGD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    2001 Regular Cab 2.7L
    My mother had a '16 DCLB. I didn't like driving it at all--nor did she. Six months ago she traded it for a '17 4runner which drives much better.

3. Oct 20, 2018 at 9:52 AM
    TacomaJunkie8691

TacomaJunkie8691 1999WineTacoma

Member:
    WA State
    Vehicle:
    1999 Wine Tacoma SR5 Exta-Cab 4wd V6
    Completely Stock except for Ranch 5000 Shocks and Struts.
    Dear Aquatic,

First generation Tacomas are great, but they are just utility pickup trucks that are simple, which is one of the reasons why they are so popular. Except for the drivetrain and the suspension, first generation Tacomas are basically early eighties technology as far as ergonomics. The two newer generations are going to be way more comfortable to drive and work with than a first generation.

Take it easy,
    Paul

henryp likes this.
  4. Oct 20, 2018 at 9:58 AM
    Itchyfeet

Itchyfeet Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'll likely dump my 1st gen sometime in the next year for a 3rd gen. I'm tired of shifting and the ergonomics of the 1st gen are pretty horrid. I'm hoping these limited seats I'll install will help, but don't have high hopes.

TacomaJunkie8691 likes this.
  5. Oct 20, 2018 at 10:06 AM
    TacomaJunkie8691

TacomaJunkie8691 1999WineTacoma

Member:
    WA State
    Vehicle:
    1999 Wine Tacoma SR5 Exta-Cab 4wd V6
    Completely Stock except for Ranch 5000 Shocks and Struts.
    The ergonomics of the first generation Tacomas are just like Itchyfeet said completely horrid. Unfortunately, I love the body style of the first generation Tacoma, and I love the way they runs. I am now 50, and I got pregnant about a year after I got married eight years ago. I was 43 at the time, and I was in pretty decent shape until I got married for the second time. As a result, of carrying around a seven year old fetus and having a bad back, my Tacoma beats the shit out of me, and it is a stick so it even beats me harder than just kicking the shit out of me. For some reason, I keep coming back for more. In all fairness to our old Tacoma, it does help a great deal with our fixer upper house. Fortunately, I don't have to use it as a daily driver.

6. Oct 20, 2018 at 10:31 AM
    Broke Okie Ty

Broke Okie Ty Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    California/Oregon/ Now in Montana
    Vehicle:
    01 trd with some stuff
    Armor, winch, other stuff
    IMHO, the first gen Tacoma is the last of what Toyota used to be, and even that is questionable. I have had multiples of every generation of Toyota pick up from '79 to '07. Prior to 2005, no one ever bought a Toyota 4x4 for comfort LOL. If a person drove one it was because they were cheap, reliable, and could go anywhere (not fast though). I feel that, just like everything else in this society, they have gone soft. Instead of building real trucks, they are catering to the lumber sexuals, hipsters, rich teens, and soccer dads. It's unfortunate that Toyota has lost sight of what their trucks were truly about. I will take a 1st gen '82 with a 22r and g52 5spd all day long over the crap Toyota is passing off as a 4x4 these days. That being said, I won't ever buy a new Toyota. My '01 is as far as I'm going.

License2Ill likes this.
  7. Oct 20, 2018 at 11:08 AM
    License2Ill

License2Ill Woke like a Coma Toyota Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    It's a dry heat thou, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2004 SC'd 5VZ DC 5spd 4x4 TRD.GOV
    Bailing wire & Duct tape
    Well said. Bunch of snowflake, noodle arm pussies the US has been shitting out lately. And screw the vulturistic marketers that pedal the crap they do to cater to the snowflakes.

Broke Okie Ty[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top