1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New TV with Smart Remote and stereo

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Goose8651, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Dec 10, 2017 at 9:17 AM
    Goose8651

Goose8651 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2013 Double Cab
    hoping someone can help me out. In my house I recently just upgraded to a 4K television with apps built into the tv. Prior, I have been using a Apple TV or a Amazon firestick to watch Netflix. Since the television has Netflix, I was wanting to use that since it can stream 4K, which the Apple TV and firestick do not.

In addition to the television, I have a Stereo System being powered by a Yamaha Receiver and a Directv receiver.

Everything that I use is powered through the receiver, so I have one HDMI going into my television. The Apple TV, firestick, and DirectTV receiver is plugged into the receiver. Also, I have a Harmony Universal Remote to run everything.

I’m trying to figure out how to watch Netflix through the televisions (Sony) app and be able to just use the smart remote? I tried to use the televisions remote which I can access Netflix, but don’t know how to activate the sound? I tried turning off my Directv receiver while in “watching tv mode”, but still don’t have sound.

Hopefully the above makes sense and any help is appreciated.

2. Dec 24, 2017 at 3:15 AM
    TK-422

TK-422 Toyota! Oh what a feeling.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    So Cal - SCV
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner TEP
    Toytech 2.5 lift BFG KO2 275-70-17
    To play your TV audio thru your receiver your need to do it one of three ways.

1) Your receiver and HDMI cable need to be ARC complaint. That means it can do two way audio thru the HDMI cable.

2) If your TV has an optical cable (TOSLINK) out you can connect that to your receiver.

3) Use HDMI for your video and bypass the receiver then use a secondary cable like TOSLINK from the device to the receiver.

Some of the new 4K Blu-ray players have two HDMI outputs, one for video to the TV and one for audio.

3. Dec 24, 2017 at 3:34 AM
    TK-422

TK-422 Toyota! Oh what a feeling.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    So Cal - SCV
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner TEP
    Toytech 2.5 lift BFG KO2 275-70-17
    This is my system. I use a Harmony One to control it (Not 100% yet).

Samsung 82" 4K HDR LED TV

Harmon Kardon 7.2 AVR reciever - No 4K - HDMI to TV (for 1080P stuff)

DirecTv Genie 2 - HDMI 4K to TV - TOSLINK to AVR

Samsung 4K Blu-Ray player (with apps) - HDMI 4K direct to TV, second HDMI (audio) to AVR - I now use this for Amazon Prime 4K compatible, YouTube 4K compatible, Netflix 4K compatible.

My TV has all the apps but I find it better to use the Blu-Ray player since it has the same apps and I don't have to use ARC.

4. Dec 24, 2017 at 7:59 AM
    Goose8651

Goose8651 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2013 Double Cab
    Thank you so much for the help. I had not heard of a TOSLINK until earlier this week from someone at work. I picked one up through MONOPRICE and it works perfectly. Thank you for the response as it’s exactly what I needed.

Products Discussed in

To Top