1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New version Locking Gas Door

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tacoma Parts Marketplace (2005-2015)' started by eAreEyeSee, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Jan 19, 2014 at 6:06 AM
    clcoyle

clcoyle Well-Known Member

Member:
    very cool

2. Jan 19, 2014 at 6:05 PM
    Motomariner

Motomariner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 S/C Tacoma 4x4
    TRD Supercharger URD 2.85" Pulley AFE CAI IPT Valve Body Mod Sprint Booster Yellow Wire Mod Rear Differential Breather mod Long Range Auto Fuel Tank Dual Odyssey 1400 SPC UCAs Toytec Adjustable Coilovers Bilstein 5100 Wheelers Front Bumps OME Dakar Leafs Timbren Rear Bumps U Bolt flip Exhaust Crossover mod FF Aluminum IFS/Mid Skids Ricochet Aluminum LCA Skids Undercover Winch Mount Warn VR8000 Hitchgate Tiregate FF Aluminum Tailgate Reinforcement PopnLock Hi Beam w/Low Beam/Fog Mod Backup Light (886 50w) mod Redline Struts VIAir Compressor Alpha Therm Washer Fluid Heater OEM Block Heater 110v In Cabin Outlet mod Lock’er Down Console Safe Heated Wet Okoles front & rear (black) RAAMat cabin Baja Racks on cab and she’ll: the best! & a few other things... (currently installing onboard dual battery charger and Icom IC7000 with AH-4
    Interested for sure.
    Keep me posted!

3. Jan 19, 2014 at 6:12 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    Ummmm....you better get this bad boy patented before someone steals your idea.

This is awesome!!

4. Jan 20, 2014 at 5:22 AM
    penguins_cc

penguins_cc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bellevue, WA
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica Limo!
    Perkins Performance Sliders, Warn 9000, Brute Force Fab front & rear bumper, OME/Dakar lift, full ATO skids and hi-lift mount, satoshi, Wet Okoles, illuminated 4x4 switch, Diff Breather.
    I personally like how this operates with unlocking the passenger doors. Nice work OP. I am getting me one of these in the future once I get through this backlog of mods sitting in my garage.

5. Jan 20, 2014 at 8:53 AM
    d2mikey

d2mikey Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tacoma Access Pre-runner SR5
    Posted that I'd be interested last night. But now that post is gone. Still interested.

6. Jan 20, 2014 at 9:09 AM
    eAreEyeSee

eAreEyeSee [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB TRD Off-Road
    Blah Blah Blah. Like your FF team, nobody cares!
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  7. Feb 5, 2014 at 10:43 AM
    Scooter

Scooter Canadian Member

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab TRD Sport Short Box
    Pop n Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Bak Flip Tonneau Cover, Factory DLR installed, Defrost with A/C Off, EZ Down Tailgate Damper, Code Alarm Security System with Remote Starter, Rear Spring TSB, Ming rust proofing & paint treatment, 3M fabric protector, Cargo Mat, Scanguage II, DYI Illuminated 4X4 Switch, Versa-Gate box extender & cargo divider, Toyota Roof Rails, Grom USB Audio adapter with bluetooth, LED Bed lights, OEM Backup Camera with LCD Display Mirror
    Very cool. I was actually working on the same thing using the exact same actuator. The latch is the only missing part on my version. I've been experimenting with diffeerent things as a latch. I see you've found something that works well.

I'm going to wire mine up to operate with the driver's door, because I need to get out of the truck to fill gas anyway. That's how it works on my wife's car. I don't see the need to unlock all the doors to unlock the fuel door. My tailgate Pop-N-Lock unlocks with the passenger door, and that makes sense to me.

Great job!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  8. Feb 5, 2014 at 11:24 AM
    JayB27

JayB27 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Orange County, CA.
    Vehicle:
    10' White DCSB Pre Runnner
    Debadged, Plasti-Dip Wheels, Color Matched Satoshi grille, Ebay Seat Covers =P, Painted Black and white Radio surround, Blue Interior Dome light, White Maps lights, Fishing Rod Holder. All done by me.
    Is there a need to lock our gas caps? This is pretty cool, but I never thought my gas was in jeopardy or being robbed..

9. Feb 5, 2014 at 11:32 AM
    Scooter

Scooter Canadian Member

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Pop n Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Bak Flip Tonneau Cover, Factory DLR installed, Defrost with A/C Off, EZ Down Tailgate Damper, Code Alarm Security System with Remote Starter, Rear Spring TSB, Ming rust proofing & paint treatment, 3M fabric protector, Cargo Mat, Scanguage II, DYI Illuminated 4X4 Switch, Versa-Gate box extender & cargo divider, Toyota Roof Rails, Grom USB Audio adapter with bluetooth, LED Bed lights, OEM Backup Camera with LCD Display Mirror
    Probably not. I've had mine for 6 years now, and I have had no problem so far. It's just something to do because Toyota didn't do it. It's actually the first vehicle I have owned without a locking fuel door.

The Tacomas have something in the fuel filler hose that blocks a siphon hose from reaching the fuel, but vandals can put stuff in your gas tank.

10. Feb 6, 2014 at 10:23 AM
    eAreEyeSee

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB TRD Off-Road
    Scooter,

Thanks for the kudos. I also have a single dash button version for the folks who don't want it tied into the door locks but its been too darn cold here to install it and test it so that's why I haven't really been pushing the next batch. I wanna wait until I have both ready to go.

11. Feb 6, 2014 at 10:38 AM
    rubenc87

rubenc87 Cobra

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCSB 4x4
    DTRL,HID's, Redline Elite Hood Struts,IVD Coilovers and Rear Shocks W/ Ext. Res.,N-FAB Light Bar W/ KC Titanium Lights, Alcan AAL,Wet Okole's, URD T.C.A.I. M/T Classic Lock's BFG AT, Chrome TC UCA'S,TRD Exhaust, Bed Mat,Painted Roof Rack,Access LE,Weathertech's F&R,P&L Lock
    Waiting

12. Feb 6, 2014 at 10:41 AM
    Scooter

Scooter Canadian Member

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    I like it tied into the door locks. It doesn't require an extra button, and I thought it's quite smart, because you don't have to think about it. I've never had an issue with it on my wife's car. Anyway, great job, Eric!

13. Feb 6, 2014 at 10:45 AM
    Cain

Cain Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
    Chrome don't get you home
    Dumb Question?
    Ive had those actuators installed on previous trucks and mine have failed now and then, as in no longer work, if one of these fails, whats the best way to access the gas door?
    Thanks
    Im in for your single button version that your waiting to test out

14. Feb 6, 2014 at 11:01 AM
    eAreEyeSee

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB TRD Off-Road
    I too like it tied into the door locks. I don't have a blank panel on the dash for the single button but Ive had enough request that I figured I would give it a go. I happen to have an extra gauge cluster bezel so i'll drill into that for the button when I'm ready to test it without fear of screwing up.

Cain,
    Did you find the write up? It might give you a better idea of whats involved to gain access. Another member had to go in through the fender liner since he didn't have the bed pockets.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/311761-locking-gas-door.html

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  15. Feb 6, 2014 at 12:18 PM
    Cain

Cain Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
    Chrome don't get you home
    Thank you sir

16. Feb 6, 2014 at 12:23 PM
    ramonortiz55

ramonortiz55 Not A Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Offroad 4x4
    stock
    whoa.. im interested in this! do you have any kits available?

17. Feb 6, 2014 at 12:41 PM
    eAreEyeSee

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB TRD Off-Road
    Yes I have kits that tie into the door locks.

PM sent

18. Feb 9, 2014 at 12:21 PM
    Motomariner

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 S/C Tacoma 4x4
    TRD Supercharger URD 2.85" Pulley AFE CAI IPT Valve Body Mod Sprint Booster Yellow Wire Mod Rear Differential Breather mod Long Range Auto Fuel Tank Dual Odyssey 1400 SPC UCAs Toytec Adjustable Coilovers Bilstein 5100 Wheelers Front Bumps OME Dakar Leafs Timbren Rear Bumps U Bolt flip Exhaust Crossover mod FF Aluminum IFS/Mid Skids Ricochet Aluminum LCA Skids Undercover Winch Mount Warn VR8000 Hitchgate Tiregate FF Aluminum Tailgate Reinforcement PopnLock Hi Beam w/Low Beam/Fog Mod Backup Light (886 50w) mod Redline Struts VIAir Compressor Alpha Therm Washer Fluid Heater OEM Block Heater 110v In Cabin Outlet mod Lock’er Down Console Safe Heated Wet Okoles front & rear (black) RAAMat cabin Baja Racks on cab and she’ll: the best! & a few other things... (currently installing onboard dual battery charger and Icom IC7000 with AH-4
    Attempted install today.
    Several problems with Actuator-- doesn't/cannot fit as in photos, etc.
    Am working with a 2011 Tacoma.
    Few things need to get straightened out for this to work as in the install pics-- which must be for different actuator (or gas door assembly which seems less likely).
    Look forward to hearing from OP (you've got PM).
    Will send OP via MMS or email-- perhaps he can post them if appropriate/helpful to others.

19. Feb 9, 2014 at 1:31 PM
    eAreEyeSee

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB TRD Off-Road
    Motomariner,

PM sent. Hopefully we can work out your issues and get it working like the others.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  20. Feb 10, 2014 at 9:46 AM
    Motomariner

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 S/C Tacoma 4x4
    Looks like maybe my Long Bed has slightly different sheet metal at Gas Cap (?)
    Thanks for good communications: will stand by for your revised part.

Products Discussed in

To Top