1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Newbie chick...anyone willing to help?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by aGirlandherTaco, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Aug 23, 2011 at 8:46 PM
    JayARRGHH

JayARRGHH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Bellingham, MA
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5 TRD
    285/75/R16 Eldarado MTZ, Alpine CDE-102 Deck, DIY Snorkel, 2" Spacer Lift, Uniden Bearcat 880 CB, Custom over head console w/ map lights, CB Mount, and external CB speaker, 2 12" Kenwood Subwoofers, 300 Watt Alpine Amp, Alpine 3" lift 500# capacity
    this.

2. Aug 23, 2011 at 8:46 PM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    OWNED!

3. Aug 23, 2011 at 8:55 PM
    Fightnfire

Fightnfire Recklessly tired

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 (Prev 09 Access Cab V6 4X4)
    Starting over with a new GMC AT4 Satin Steel Metallic Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings.
    You bought it used, was it a used Toyota "certified?" If so you have a 1 year bumper to bumper and a 100k drivetrain. If not, then you only have the 36k original. If that's the case be pushy with the dealership and make sure you get everything looked at/fixed before 36k.

Did it have a clean carfax report? Any accidents or major work done?

For specific issues use the search function and type in good keywords ie: vibration, freeway speeds, etc.

If you can't find any good information there, post up.

Oh, and welcome :wave:

4. Aug 23, 2011 at 8:57 PM
    rcbs204

rcbs204 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    As a Resident Electrical Engineer, i will respond to your Alarm/VSC issue since i also installed an aftermarket alarm/remote start. 80% of the time it turns out to be installer error. It more than likely is not a coincidence that the lights are flaking out after the install. If this was my issue, i would start by finding where the installer put the alarm controller, usually under the driver side dash above the fuse box, as it is easiest place to tap in to the electrical system.
    Once you locate this box, you are going to want to look for loose connectors, even though they are snap fit connectors it is possible that one is marginally connected. Since your lights are randomly coming off and on.
    If there is nothing obvious, then you are going to want to do live testing, the easiest way to accomplish this is to turn the truck ignition on so that the lights/switches in question have power. Once you know they have power, then you can methodically start moving connectors over by the alarm controller location to see if you can recreate the issue. If you run into a connector or wire that triggers the problem, then you a can follow it to its source and fix the flaky connection.
    If none of the above get you any closer, then we can go to the truck schematics and trace the switches to and from there termination locations.
    Random electrical issues are extremely hard to nail down when they are in front of you. Let alone trying to diagnose via the internet, but we may get lucky and stumble on to the issue. Good Luck, and let us know what you find going through the steps above.
    Keep Smiling! :D

5. Aug 23, 2011 at 9:02 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
  6. Aug 23, 2011 at 9:07 PM
    jammdogg

jammdogg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Hillsboro, OR
    Vehicle:
    13 Spruce Mica DCLB
    6" ProComp lift on 35 MT's. ARB Bumper.
    Welcome to another Oregonian! There are a very cool bunch of TW members in the PDX Area. Take a look at the Oregon Washington BS thread in the regional section.

Where was the alarm installed? As you are still under warranty, a trip to the dealer may not be out of order.

Good Luck and again, WELCOME!

7. Aug 23, 2011 at 9:25 PM
    platinumb

platinumb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    denver
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR DC Supercharged
    supercharger, focal/jl audio sound system, trd cat back

8. Aug 23, 2011 at 10:47 PM
    l1tech

l1tech Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    bend,oregon
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport
    3" Redilift
    Welcome from Central Oregon! Don't be afraid to ask questions, as in any forum you will always have a few that will reply with smartass comments but most will try to be helpful.
    Spend some time searching the forum, odds are someone has experienced a similar problem and most likely there is a solution.

9. Aug 23, 2011 at 10:53 PM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon

Hello and welcome to TW Katrina.:)

10. Aug 23, 2011 at 10:53 PM
    StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
  11. Aug 24, 2011 at 3:38 AM
    Blackshirts

Blackshirts Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner-Totaled. 2016 SR5 Blue DC
    Stuff

yeah I would take it in and ask them to balance the tires and see if they can align it. question does it shake when you are breaking or slowing down. could have a warped roters.

The lights coming on sounds kinda odd right after install. When I got mine installed they tapped into the wrong wire and it drained the battery. Took it back and they redid it. I would take it back to them and tell them what's going on. and while your at the dealer ask them to run it through there system to check it for errors.

12. Aug 24, 2011 at 5:01 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    You most likely have what is left over from the original 3 year 36k mile bumper to bumper warranty and 5 year 60k mile powertrain warranty. With the VSC/ABS issue you're having, take it to the dealer and have them sort it out. I would NOT mention the lights came on when you had an aftermarket alarm installed. Those systems shouldn't be tied together and if they are, let the dealer tell you then have the alarm install place fix it because they messed up (if that's even the case, the timing could just be coincidence).

As far as vibrations, it could be a number of things. It seems you have a lifted truck, lots of members spend a lot of time chasing out vibrations after lifting. How bad are the vibrations, does it shake the whole truck or just a slight vibration either through the seat or steering wheel? I'd start by having your tires balanced, it's the simpliest place to start. If that doesn't work, then there are other things you can do to get rid of vibrations. It also looks like you've got a bad lean going on (looks like the truck leans toward the driver's side). You can even that out with a spacer on the driver's side coil.

13. Aug 24, 2011 at 5:12 AM
    colder

colder Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab TRD Sport
    I think saying you're a girl on an internet forum will get you more help than you'll ever need.

Welcome :D

14. Aug 24, 2011 at 5:17 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    :facepalm::smack:

15. Aug 24, 2011 at 5:21 AM
    Razorecko

Razorecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Pyrite DCLB TRD Supercharged
    I have never heard of a 38k warranty. You have a the minimum up to 36k miles as your warranty. Was the alarm installed through the dealership ? If it was its their obligation to get it fixed. Get all your problems fixed before 32-33k miles that way the other couple thousand miles before your warranty is out you can pay close attention and see if there is anything else wrong. I suggest if possible that you test drive a new tacoma that is just like yours. That way you can feel and see if there is any difference between yours and the new one. You might be able to better judge any issues popping up. Also I would suggest that for honest and helpfull suggestions you just go through the "build" section of the forums and pm one of the guys with a built truck. They wont be 16yrs old and will almost surely take a moment to help you with your concern.

16. Aug 24, 2011 at 8:23 AM
    jsutter

jsutter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Southeast Ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 Reg. Cab 4cyl 2wd
    cruise and intermittent wipers
    Cartalk.com has a search engine for finding mechanics, it is called Mechanics Files. It will give you review of mechanics in your area. I highly recommend it.

Good luck with your truck!

17. Aug 24, 2011 at 8:27 AM
    ksj

ksj Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cavalry Blue TRD Pro
    265/70-17 KO2
    Not always. I only have around 21K on my '09. I also have a 350z that I drive, keeping the miles low on both.

Products Discussed in

To Top