1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Newbie Dilemma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MSB256, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Aug 17, 2011 at 8:42 PM
    MSB256

MSB256 [OP] Member

Member:
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    TBD
    I currently own a 4Runner and have a newbie dilemma. I realize it's all personal preference, but please give me your objective opinion anyway.

I really want an XSP Tacoma. I'm not much of an off-road type although 4WD can come in handy in the snow (which is rare but has been more frequent lately in Alabama). With that said, I realize the XSP is usually a basic Tacoma with a sporty package. My real reason for wanting a truck is that I think it's sort of family man-ish, at least for me, and anytime we need to move something or haul something, I have to call someone who has a truck - my Father in law, Brother in law, Uncle, all have trucks. So why not me? It would eliminate the hassle of having to call one of them and ask for help. So it's the hauling, having a bed aspect that I desire more so than the off road aspect.

So, here's the dilemma. My 4Runner is navy blue. I don't love the color but bought it because it was a Sport Edition in my price range. Well, I always said my next vehicle would be black. However, I can't find an XSP in black that I love. I'm not a fan of the carbon fiber. I also want leather. My local Toyota dealer has a 2011 XSP, leather interior, no carbon fiber - but it's Barcelona Red (I call it crimson). On the inside, it's absolutely perfect. Tan leather which I love and is hard to come by, backup camera in the rearview, no carbon fiber - the only thing wrong is the exterior color.

I'm obviously not going to find the perfect truck. I found 3 or 4 Black XSP Tacomas in the Southeast and all of them have carbon fiber and cloth. I think the Barcelona Red is super sharp, just not for me (does that even make sense?).

Seeing as how it's either the inside will be perfect, or the outside - what would you do? My wife has already said no to the carbon fiber - she can't stand it. And I kind of agree I'd almost rather the inside be perfect the way I want it and sacrifice the color. Would you sacrifice having the interior perfect for the color or vise versa?

2. Aug 17, 2011 at 8:45 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I'm not sure that I would ever be so heart set on a color over an options package/comfort level...so I would be inclined to for the right inside in the right general model of truck....but like you said- It's personal preference.

How long do you keep cars?? Is it worth looking into getting it painted??

3. Aug 17, 2011 at 8:56 PM
    MSB256

MSB256 [OP] Member

Member:
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    TBD
    I have wondered about painting but think the hassle would outweigh the value. Also wonder about the quality of an aftermarket paint job.

4. Aug 17, 2011 at 8:58 PM
    MSB256

MSB256 [OP] Member

Member:
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    TBD
    And I plan on keeping my next vehicle for quite some time. Hopefully til it's paid off and then some and the oneom considering is a 2011. So it'll be my ride for a looooong time. But I think I said that with the 4Runner too. Ha!

5. Aug 17, 2011 at 8:59 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I've had some collision repair done on the wife's car and I could not really tell afterwards....and that was just spot repairs. A complete paint job and a reputable shop will be expensive and take some time...but if this is your dream truck and you'll have it until the wheels fall off or your kick the bucket....Maybe it would be worth it.

But I would say since you don't seem sure- You gotta pick waiting it out for everything in one package or going with something that is close enuf...

Products Discussed in

To Top