1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Newbie here, please help.

Discussion in 'Towing' started by TACOmobbin, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Mar 27, 2012 at 5:08 PM
    TACOmobbin

TACOmobbin [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Chandler, AZ / Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    CURRENT: '17 TRD OFFROAD PAST: '16 WRX STI; '12 TRD OFFROAD
    Hello everyone, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Mike and I live in Southern California. I recently ordered a 2012 Tacoma TRD Sport 2x4 prerunner FULLY LOADED. I got it with every option (entune with touch screen head unit and JBL speakers, the 18 inch chrome wheels, TRD intake and exhaust, etc) HOWEVER, I did not order it with the V6 tow package. This is my first truck, and I dont know much about tacomas, other than that its a dope truck and while test driving one at Thousand Oaks Toyota, i fell in love. My last car was a 2010 scion tc, which was recently horribly damaged in a car accident (A lady ran a read light and hit me) so its time to move on. My question to any and all who will help is....Without the V6 tow package, can I still tow? Ive searched around trying to see pictures of the newer tacomas' rear end's but all of them have the tow package. Will it come with atleast something welded to the frame that I can throw a towhitch on to pull a small jetski or trailer? Please advise. I might have to change my order, which will push back my wait time by at least another month. Thanks everyone, have a great day! :)

2. Mar 27, 2012 at 6:23 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    well if its like previous trucks, I would not risk, just using the bumper for anything. even towing. I would look into getting the towing package added, its much easier to have it done from the factory, and everything you need to tow, and with all the parts added up its cheaper.

3. Mar 27, 2012 at 6:31 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, Ultragauge, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    Welcome. You can always buy a hitch receiver and bolt it up to the frame. If you're doing a lot of towing then you might want the tranny cooler added. :cheers:

4. Mar 27, 2012 at 6:35 PM
    Fightnfire

Fightnfire Recklessly tired

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings,... oh and the hot wife mod.
    w/ factory tow pkg and all components 6500lb towing capacity

w/o tow pkg from factory but added hitch/lights 3500lb towing capacity

If you chose not to get the factory tow pkg then no, when you get your truck you will not be able to tow anything you can't fit in the bed. You will need to add an aftermarket hitch, $165.00-$250.00 and the wiring harnesses $20-60. Add another $100.00+ for install.

5. Mar 27, 2012 at 7:05 PM
    TACOmobbin

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    Okay thanks a lot, I'm going to change the order. I appreciate it, and I look forward to posting pics when I get it.

6. Mar 28, 2012 at 5:53 AM
    Rellik01

Rellik01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Windermere, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 White
    Bull Guard powder coated white, chrome aftermarket tail lights,Led interior lights, Factory roof rack, Bug deflector, Factory tow package, Garmin GPS, Viper 5901 alarm with auto start, Weather tech window wind deflectors, , 3" Tube steps powder coated white, CB Radio, Radio Scanner.
    I would be surprised if your truck didn't ship from the factory with the tow package. It is part of the factory packages when you load up on options.

7. Mar 28, 2012 at 5:22 PM
    TACOmobbin

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    Well I custom ordered it through Vehicle Services. My mom actually works for the company out here in SoCal, so Im under her employee lease program. Basically how that works is, I dont pay a dime for insurance, nor repairs and maintenance. Im going to pay about 420$ a month on a 3 year lease, with no money down. And the best part.....After the lease is up, I plan to buy it out under the employee purchase program, so ill be paying thousands less than its actually worth. I <3 Toyota. But as far as the tow kit goes, I didnt end up changing the order. I dont see the point in paying an extra 9$ a month, when I can take it to any toyota dealership and have it installed at little to no cost to me. So as of now, Ill be throwing my stand up jetski in the bed. Lol!

8. Mar 28, 2012 at 5:30 PM
    GregLee98

GregLee98 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    TRD Cold Air Intake TRD Cat-back Exhaust URD MAF Calibrator 3 inch Top Gunz Customz Lift Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar (275/75R/17) Tires Power Tailgate Lock linked to power door locks Back-up Sensors Bakflip F1 DIY Auto-dim Rearview Mirror Power Sliding Rear Window Mod by BenWA 4x4 Switch Light Mod 400W Inverter Anytime Mod 110V In Cab Mod with 25' Extension Cord Rear Differential Breather Relocation Mod Chirp on Lock Mod A/C Off with Defrost Mod Brighter Reverse Lights Mod Tailgate Theft Deterrence (Clamp) TRD Seat Covers Extra D-Rings in front of bed
    You should get the tow package if you plan to tow because it has a larger alternator, tranny oil cooler, and I believe a larger radiator as well. Those are things that are not cost effective to just buy aftermarket and bolt on.

9. Mar 28, 2012 at 7:40 PM
    TACOmobbin

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    I won't be towing a boat or anything like that. The max I would tow is two jetskis around the Laughlin/Bullhead city area. Nothing exceeding 3000lbs

10. Mar 29, 2012 at 6:15 AM
    GregLee98

GregLee98 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    TRD Cold Air Intake TRD Cat-back Exhaust URD MAF Calibrator 3 inch Top Gunz Customz Lift Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar (275/75R/17) Tires Power Tailgate Lock linked to power door locks Back-up Sensors Bakflip F1 DIY Auto-dim Rearview Mirror Power Sliding Rear Window Mod by BenWA 4x4 Switch Light Mod 400W Inverter Anytime Mod 110V In Cab Mod with 25' Extension Cord Rear Differential Breather Relocation Mod Chirp on Lock Mod A/C Off with Defrost Mod Brighter Reverse Lights Mod Tailgate Theft Deterrence (Clamp) TRD Seat Covers Extra D-Rings in front of bed
    It up to you. Sometimes its nice to be able to do something even if you don't need it. I find myself helping a lot of friends out.

11. Mar 29, 2012 at 6:20 AM
    Davtopgun

Davtopgun Weeeee mod time!

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    TacoAlaMode Custom grill, SCS Gunmetal F5's, Treadwright guard dogs, OME 3" Lift w/OME Dakars. LRUCA's. Allpro off-road plate rear bumper with high clearance hitch, SOS concepts bolt on rock sliders with top plate, Pelfreybuilt front plate bumper, rci skid plates.
    Get the tow package. Your patience will pay off in the long run.

12. Mar 30, 2012 at 3:23 PM
    TACOmobbin

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    The order is already processed, and my truck is being built in Baja California the 3rd week in April. I will have it by May 1st. I have a buddy that works for Eckhart trailer hitch welding, and hed give me an awesome deal on the install. The wires arent expensive at all, and I know for a fact I wont be towing more than its designated weight W/O the tow package. I can not express how excited I am to get my new whip tho! :)

To Top